They need to start teaching about comics in schools

Comics are so relevant in today’s society! Why are they not teaching us the power of comics, how the graphic novel format is different from standard literature, how it has impacted pop culture, etc. Comics are a well-respected genre and schools should teach them. Great book choices would be sandman, watchmen, dark knight returns, maus, etc.

8 Likes

some schools do, on campus where I work I saw a flyer for a new college English course called ‘Comics as Literature’

4 Likes

I honestly hate they don’t do this? Comic book movies dominate Hollywood. Infinity War and Black Panther earned so much money. Let’s not forget Deadpool 2 and Ant Man. And of course Aquaman coming in December! Venom also breaking records for a October movie. School need to teach how these stories have so much good in them

4 Likes

Sequential art appreciation is important and should be part of a quality arts education.

3 Likes

It would definitely work in an art class setting for those like me who can’t draw, but are in total admiration of those who can. I would’ve loved art class if we could’ve discussed the artists and the assignments were to read the comic & discuss the real world implications and even the styles of drawing in them.

3 Likes

Art appreciation is a must! And give artists credit too! Don’t just show a comic book page and say “This is what comic book art looks like!”, mention the artist, colorist, inker, etc.

3 Likes

The art classes I took in school were typically a dreadful bore. If they’d infused comics into the mix, that’d make more people sit up and appreciate how comics themselves are a showcase of art and how paired with the written word, they unite for an endlessly fascinating medium capable of any story imaginable.

But no, let’s just let the teacher who’s got a thing for some “artist”, drone on endlessly and make a typically fascinating subject about as exciting as melbatoast. Thanks teach.

3 Likes

That’d be pretty cool, @jwarzy5702, and definitely a way to keep kids interested (I’ve wished the same about anime, too). Can think of a ton of ways that such could be used as a part of art classes, as well, yes! Art, Creative writing (story development, character development, what makes them successful and what to steer clear of, how certain archetypes, themes, and motifs have been used, an how they relate to other literature considered to be classics, etc (sorry, can you tell what my fav subject was in school? lol). You guys have great ideas - wish it were possible to get them all implemented :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Anime and animation in general should be included in a worthwhile arts education. So many people are ignorant of the beauty of animation. Kids stuff? Hardly.

4 Likes

MissInkBlot, the archetypal aspects of comics is a class unto to itself. I took such a class with Donald McQuade at Queens College in the mid-seventies and it was a great experience. I recall writing a three thousand word paper on “man vs. machine” and using Iron Man and the Six-Million-Dollar Man as my as my examples. Is it not a no-brainer that in our current “digital society” such a class would not only be instructional but welcomed by our students? It may be “pop” but it’s still culture.

1 Like

CSUN actually has upper division english classes specifically for the appreciation and understanding of comic/ graphic novels / and pop culture.

4 Likes

Definitely should be included in literature curriculum along side works of Greek Mythology because superhero stories are out modern-day version of the stories of gods and demi-gods. Also should be included in art history. Maybe then washed up stand-up comics turned extreme political tv forum hosts would learn that comics aren’t just for kids!

5 Likes

There’s actually been a recent push by English professors or teachers to use comics as apart of the literature for their course.

1 Like

We have this class every trip to the comic book store with my 6 year old lmao, anyone who wants to hear me prattle on about comics and their history and their importance is welcome to join us. :joy:

3 Likes

Dcgoddessofmayhem

I for 1 could listen to comic talk all day long. That’s a lucky kid.

2 Likes

Djd :woman_shrugging: I am a boy mom all day, I willed him to be a boy so I could enjoy dressing him up and have a better chance he would be into comics. :rofl: And now I have 4 more kids I buy comics for and talk history and importance to lmao, I’m making it my personal goal to keep the comic industry alive in Iowa!

2 Likes

Dcgoddessofmayhem

That’s awesome. I’m Midwest myself, Ohio right by the birthplace of Superman in Cleveland. I’m sure your love of comics will transfer. I’m the only person in my whole family that is into them, and only have 3 friends that are into them. Thank god their all DC or I’d have nobody to talk DC with, besides this site of course.

2 Likes

My little crew of kids are all DC because I am lmao. And Batman focused lmao that’s my fault. I prefer him over Superman, Wonder Woman, etc because it’s dark and gritty and I believe that it’s more real. Lol, they prefer Batman and Gotham because the villians are fun and crazy and colorful.

2 Likes

Djd187…
I am also in North East Ohio so you are not alone my friend. There isn’t a big comic following here either. But back on topic. My son was telling me one of the colleges he visited while looking for where he wanted to go had a class that was about comics and current events. And they had a comics and art class as well. I will ask him when he gets home what school it was.

3 Likes

duke420

Nice, & you’re right. There isn’t a big following around here. I was shocked(no pun intended) CW held the national launch of Black Lightning in Akron. I’ve been trying to get to San Diego for years. I have 3 friends that are into comics as much as me, & 5-6 who watch the movies but have 0 knowledge of them.

1 Like