There are only 2644 comics in DC Universe

Though it’s what we were promised, 2644 comics isn’t a lot especially considering that action comics just hit 1002 and detective comics has almost hit 1000. Considering Batman (1940) has over 400 issues alone. This list is really sad…

5 Likes

It is what they promised at launch. And they have to start somewhere. It remains to be seen if it’ll be more like Marvel Unlimited where they gradually add more and more or if it really is more of a rotating list of available comics. Until then, there’s still quite a few great comics on the service already.

I can’t believe people actually refer to 2644 comics as “only” 2644 comics. Are you really saying you’ve read them all/will read them all in a month?

6 Likes

@nu52 It’s easier to be negative. It’s not a perfect list with incomplete books but even then it is a very overwhelming selection that I doubt I’ll ever fully get through, lol. The benefit of it though is that if I want to try something new and always have something to do which is good and exactly what we were promised.

2 Likes

I believe they’ve said it’ll be curated and some comics will be added and others taken out every quarter.

1 Like

Yeah this book club that’s been startng up is actually helping me to appreciate better the 2644 we do have.
at the same , the decisions by those running DCU to post such goofy things as full runs of Checkmate and Manhunter when we could have just as easily had some more runs of current Superman or Green Lanterns for example is frustrating.
My vision for the 2500 we have here is to have all the current DC but 9 months back and then every new month we get one more issue of those current ones, plus a nice healthy representation of the past with the remainder.

4 Likes

I’ve been reading Manhunter and really am enjoying it. I’m glad we get titles like it. Now I’ll have to read Checkmate after Manhunter. It is the DC Universe after all and not the Worlds of Batman and Superman.

1 Like

As someone who reads all the current issues as they come out, this comic collection is worthless. Short series, all are pretty old. Nothing stands out. No large collections or runs of anything, just short six issue arcs from Batman and random stuff. They need to have longer lines per series. So far this has been a waste of money.

4 Likes

I should not have a larger physical collection than DCU. They promised something for the hard core fans too. For the record at launch they promised “2,500 titles”. They’ve played some word games and now the faq says “2,500 comics”.

2 Likes

If DC put out 2500 titles that would be their entire library and then some. Unless you count one shots I’d find it hard to believe they have published that many unique titles.

That’s why they said the entire library will be available for purchase in October. So we have to pay more to get more on top of our subscription. It will be interesting to see what that looks like next month.

Their intent seems to be put up their entire digital catalog with a bunch of teasers. They’ve got several hundred titles up now but mostly samples of each. 2,500 titles would probably be their entire catalog. Their play appears to be to launch the entire catalog in a couple of weeks to entice people to pay for individual comics and only give out rotating samples. But thats seems to have gotten a bit of backlash so they changed “2,500 titles” to “2,500 comics”.

1 Like

Yeah, it sucks.

1 Like

Did they ever mention this was another ‘Marvel Unlimited’? It was pretty obvious it wasn’t if you did your research right.

2 Likes

They should do the 6 month ago thing, and just charge more for the service. Like 11.99. I’ve bought comics to figure out what was going on after getting pulled into a series via Marvel Unlimited. Just feels a bit empty with 3 comics from a series, and some of the series I wanted to check out aren’t on here to sample.

1 Like

@Edot you’re trying to marginalize our argument by saying it’s not supposed to be Marvel Unlimited. Nobody’s saying it’s supposed to be Marvel Unlimited. We’re saying the current collection is terribly small, it’s not well organized (ie curated), the continuity for what is there is hard to figure out because the arcs are incomplete, DC is remarkably tight lipped on what’s going to happen in October even though they’re the ones that put up the message, and by there own wording this is the best we can expect. None of that has anything to do with Marvel Unlimited and everything to do with this app.

4 Likes

I’m not. They did what they said to bring in 2,500 comics. They never specified what they going to bring in and they never said it was going to be a complete run. Voicing out for frustration is fine but they never specified what volume of comics they were going to bring in. For what’s it worth, $75/year (plus 3 months if you preordered) is fair for all they are packaging.

4 Likes

They might be adding more as the months go on. I mean the 2500 comics already is a lot and I doubt anyone has read everything.

2 Likes

C’mon DC. Shock us!

1 Like

Not enough

1 Like