Themyscira: Discuss Wonder Woman, Amazons, & more!

I’m not sure what my very first exposure to Wonder Woman was. I seem to remember it possibly being a full page ad in a Batman comic. It was drawn by either George Perez or Brian Bolland and I think she was standing on the shore of Themiscara. JL animated series was first real introduction to her. Prior to that I had bought the Just Imagine Stan Lee creating the DC Heroes issue where he and Jim Lee reimagined her in an Elseworlds tale. Like @Bane I loved the connection to Greek Mythology. Greg Rucka’s 2003 run was the first time I bought her comic. That was an outstanding storyarc and I was glad when he returned to the character for Rebirth. Gal Gadot is great but I do find myself still hearing Susan Eisenberg too, like someone else posted. Love Rosario Dawson’s voice work as well. She’ll always be Gail from Sin City to me.

2 Likes

One badass moment that stuck out as my favorite was when Superman found out Diana had allowed some Vietnamese women to murder their male captors in Darwyn Cooke’s New Frontier. When she steps down from the table she was on, we see that she is taller than Superman, towering over him. This was her Colonel Kurtz moment from a time when her warrior aspect was being emphasized over her compassion in the comics.

1 Like

Waking up on Saturday morning in my Batman or Superman underoos & settling in for my favorite character. WW & her invisible jet/ transparent plane/ robot plane. Apache Chief cameos were a highly anticipated welcomed sight. WW is “the” reason I’ve been a DC fan ever since then. Steve Trevor has never been worthy of my Amazon Princess. Although I’ve limitless love for every DC character, I wouldn’t be on this site describing what DC means to me w/o Diana Prince. She’s also the reason I be always loved the female side of DC the most. If it wasn’t for Gloria Steinem putting her on the cover of Ms. magazine she might still be the JLA’s secretary. Thanks also to William Mourton Marston (despite his unusual life) for creating the character that reeled me in for life & also the lie detector. #Amazon Pride # Female Power.

2 Likes

@87benlewis New Frontier sounds intense! I gotta check that out.

1 Like

I have alays not I be always oh Hera help my autocorrect

Holy Hera I have always . There now when I push post please don’t invent half of a word that doesn’t exist autocorrect please

I’m really enjoying everyone’s comments. I love seeing the WW love.

1 Like

Yay it put I have always after 3 attempts now I’ve ruined the whole page so sweet

1 Like

Oh JLWWSM you haven’t seen Frontier? It’s so good listed it in my top 3 on every thread dealing with favorite animated movies

1 Like

@JLWWSM you must read New Frontier. It is a masterpiece that belongs in every DC fan’s collection. Do yourself a favor and ask for it for Christmas. The animated adaptation was decent and had a great voice cast, but the graphic novel is so much more expansive and glorious. It’s up there with Watchmen and DKR in my opinion. Though it’s ending was kind of abrupt after so many character arcs that could’ve used some more care, but that is the only weakness. I hoped Darwyn Cooke would do a sequel some day. Sad that he passed. He will be greatly missed.

3 Likes

@djd187 if you haven’t read the comic, give it a shot. You won’t be disappointed.

1 Like

@87benlewis absolutely! It’s on my list and I plan to read it before the new year, along with Hiketeia.

1 Like

My first exposure was the television series. My mother and I used to watch it together. She used to always tell me to step back from the TV. The Justice League cartoon was also an influence.

She’s my favorite because even with all the love she grew up with. She chose to help mankind and be an example. Plus she’s the BEST fighter in the Justice League!

2 Likes

Jill Lepore, a famous historian, wrote a book called 'The Secret History of Wonder Woman, which you can probably get at the library. It is expensive in its print version, around $25, but less than $10 at Kindle.

Two videos tell the story about Diana, her creator, his influences. and his wife ranging, unconventional career and family life

https://youtu.be/HaQk9zNrmTI

Tells the main points at 11 minutes, but is cut abruptly at the point where Jill was explaining why early Wonder Woman comics had a lot of bondage in them.

Jill gives a very entertaining lecture in

https://youtu.be/tNkS4KTyHOk

It is an hour long, but you can skip the introductions and begin at around 13 minutes.

3 Likes

The most famous Wonder Woman fan fiction is Hunter’s Moon by Christy T. It has many thousands of reviews.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4880539/1/Hunter-s-Moon

Basically Diana is taken away as a baby and grows up in America.

She meets Bruce Wayne as a teen and they spend years together and apart.

It is based on a story called The Circle.

A couple of other Wonder Woman links are in Thread called How to Write Fan Fiction.

2 Likes

87benlewis

That was one of my earliest reads on here. I read Selina’s big score which was Darwyn Cooke also then New Frontier. Also read the follow up to big score, it’s awesome too.

3 Likes

The New Frontier is genius. Darwyn Cooke is incredible. He also designed the opening credits for Batman Beyond.

4 Likes

JLWWSM & benlewis

Have u read Greg Ruckas WW? I love it. Great art & characters there’s a Medusa arc that’s one of my favorite arcs from a WW comic in it. Great supporting cast & she’s in both worlds. Working as an ambassador for Themyscira & dealing with the backlash of writing a tell all autobiography while concurrently fighting & carrying on her WW duties. Really shows all sides of her character nicely.

1 Like

Vroom
That’s right I always forget that. His arts so unique u know it’s Darwyn the second u look at it.

djd187 - Do you mean Rebirth? I read the first two volumes. I really liked Year One. The cheetah story was pretty good too.

2 Likes