The Wild and Wacky DC Comics Covers of the 50's and 60's Fan Club Starts Here!!

Yeah the gorilla looks great!

The camera wasn’t very kind to Rita that day though, although maybe she decided to make her face look older that day…

4 Likes

@Don-El Hey this thread is trending!

The title banner cracks me up here. “Joy turns to tragedy” with this “tiny bundle of doom”!

8 Likes

it’s got to be it was a certain editor of the three main editors of the time in the late 50s early 60s that really pushed for these fun covers. I mean you look at the Doom Patrol covers of the same time or Green Lantern or Flash and there’s almost no festivity at all. But wow watch out Superman’s Girlfriend Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen Superman’s Pal, Action Comics, Superman, World’s Finest, several of the Adventure Comics featuring Supergirl including Neal Adams art, and Wonder Woman… there’s several if hers I’m going to be mixing in later day by day, fun fun fun.

I would totally buy one of those day by day calendars you can get at the end of the year desktop and tear off a page a day, and each one would feature crazy wild comic book covers from the 50s and 60s, all publishers.

7 Likes

Fyi, btw, there’s also a wild and zany website out there that will do a mash-up and will do these famous covers featuring another publishers’ heroes in famous scenes of their competitors and it’s outrageous!

2 Likes

@Don-El Pretty sure it was Mort Weisinger that pushed for these covers. He put his stamp on a lot of Silver Age stuff. Believe he also gave the word to update Flash and Green Lantern as well.

5 Likes

First dates can be bumpy but hang in there kids!!!

6 Likes

Wonder Girl: “Okay then. Bye bye!”

Then she swims off, thinks to herself “He’ll be fine.” and swims away.

6 Likes

This was the cover that started the whole Wally Wood thing. Those Challengers covers kept calling to me, and of course I then see that it’s Kirby, and have that feeling like I knew that, but forgot. Don’t always recognize pre-FF Kirby (even early FF) as Kirby. But it still catches your eye.

5 Likes

DCU has us trapped like butterflies too…with these highly-entertaining zany yet historic covers!

MERCY

4 Likes

I broke the 4th wall so im good

3 Likes

Love these! bookmarks thread

And Don-El, you are hilarious!

4 Likes

Oh, it’s Monday time for the latest wacky cover. Stand by for transmission, Wild and Wacky DC Comics Covers of the 50’s and 60’s Fan Club troops!!!

1 Like

Ah, summertime in Themyscira! A Wonder-ful time to reconnect and reach out to family and friends over a warm fire while passing the relaxing time with fun group games…

I think we can all agree there’s nothing quite like it!

5 Likes

That critter has a Reptilicus-esque design.

Thanks for the fun covers DE.

3 Likes

“It’ s not fire” Wonder Woman misheard what was really said about the fire from the dragon’s nose before she decided it would be safe to go across the rope with Wonder Tot in tow!

1 Like

Two bucks and a Zagnut says that bridge wasn’t OSHA certified.

2 Likes

I love comics from this era. Absolutely incredible.

3 Likes

Batman #156: Robin Dies at Dawn

1 Like

Legitimately one of my favorite Batman stories of all time.

1 Like

BwanaBeastguy6667 welcome! Wonder if we can do a scavenger hunt to find Bwana Beast in the DCU Library? I think I saw him scurrying around with Congorilla … somewhere

1 Like