The Wild and Wacky DC Comics Covers of the 50's and 60's Fan Club Starts Here!!

I assume you can get this dirt cheap.

4 Likes

Nice! Thanks @Don-El!

2 Likes

I got to admit, @DeadmanBrand, the Mini-Me Supermen are very cool, like action figures at scale that work!

2 Likes

I’m a little startled that the classic 1959 to 1962 launch of Silver Age Superman / Action as depicted just above is missing from the digital library.

Here’s my vote for this on both aesthetic and historic grounds.

Anyone else feel this way?

6 Likes

@DE You’ve got my vote. I’ll always support the addition of more classic material into the digital realm.

4 Likes

You know I’m with you @Don-El!

3 Likes

Oh Silver Age Supes you…

8 Likes

Ground Zero for Silver Age Superman appears to be: Superman #122-131, Action Comics #241-262

Fortress of Solitude introduced in issue #241 (June 1958)
Brainiac and the Bottle City of Kandor in issue #242.
Supergirl first appeared in issue #252 (May 1959).
Action Comics #261 her cat Streaky appears!
Bizarro World first appeared in issue #262 (April 1960).
And…

Old Man Superman, who has aches and pains just like Don-el, appears in Action Comics #251!!! I was just looking this one over for the first time last night in my black and white Showcase Superman #1.

7 Likes

(all issue numbers are Action Comics)

1 Like

Here’s another Silver Age Super Gem!

I gotta start looking through the Bat Fam stuff soon.

7 Likes

Yeah for some reason that theme of “juicy bone” keeps coming up, super…WEIRD.

Meanwhile help me figure this one out… you know, I’m from the “it’s yourthing do what you want to do” 60s and 70s, but I don’t get this… can someone please explain for me, in this picture below, what is Luther wearing, and why would someone dress him like whatever that is for his funeral in the transparent box???

4 Likes

They’re also in a literal blank room without even a horizon line.

3 Likes

This is a bad day.

I may have mentioned before, nothing says Silver Age like Bat-Mite & Mxyzptlk! This may not be the “silliest” one, but it’s about time these two poke their heads into this thread!

5 Likes

Oh no!!!

Stay out of the man cave!!!

5 Likes

World’s Finest is a treasure trove. At the moment it seems to be the best one to scroll through and check out all the covers.

5 Likes

Yeah that definitely looks like the super villain team of the week for Doom Patrol!

4 Likes

As we hunker down in our cellars waiting out the Vertigo and Swamp Thing / Doom Patrol Original series fallout storms, it is wonderful that seemingly once a week a new 1950s Superman’s Girl Friend Lois Lane issue magically appears in our DCU front porch delivery box!

This could be Smallville, this could be Brightburn…

5 Likes

The gender politics back in the day used to be a tad…different…

8 Likes

Love the gorilla covers of the silver age! Currently trying to complete the Silver Age Doom Patrol primarily for the covers.:ok_hand: Gorgeous!

8 Likes