The Unquestionable Ranking of Rebirth Titles

@yutzy

Appreciate you sharing your thoughts. I can’t respond to all those now but maybe later.

@Squid

Good question. I’ve been asking myself that as well. Is Batman less of a Bat God in King’s books? I think so, but I’m going to have to re-examine it with those eyes.

I haven’t read I Am Suicide yet. That will be the next Batman story I read and I’ll let you know.

1 Like

And what’s an example of Cat God?

1 Like

Beating talia

3 Likes

Not only beating Talia. Beating Talia in a sword fight without cheating. Now that’s OP.

2 Likes

And she takes down three speedsters at once. Not only does she manage to hit them without them laying a hand on her, she manages to take them out with one hit each.

2 Likes

I mean look at this

2 Likes

Don’t you just love how grounded his portrayal of characters are?

(sarcasm if that’s not obvious)

2 Likes

@Awesome_Spuid how would you rank Batman Rebirth comics?

Here is my list, the number after the comic is what number it is on my overall Batman comics list

1. War of Jokes and Riddles (6)
  2. The Wedding (12)
  3. I Am Bane (19)
  4. Bride or Burglar (38)
  5. Cold Days (40)
  6. Tyrant Wins (41)
  7. Rules of Engagement ( 42)
  8. I am Gotham ( 62)
  9. I am Suicide (63)
1 Like

Oh yeah, I forgot about that Flash moment. Yeah, that’s bull crap. If you want to excuse it, then I suppose you could argue they exerted some control and partially held back. Also, Ivy wasn’t trying to kill them, so it’s not as if they were going for the insta kill, but…still that’s a load of crap. That’s completely fair criticism.

Trying to think back about King’s run, I can only really come up with one other time that seems OP, and that’s Batman Rebirth where he (IIRC) almost saves a plane by launching his vehicle in the air and/or uses an ejection seat to get into the air to the low-flying plane and then uses Bat Ropes attached to the flaps of the plane to steer it to safety. I will partially defend that one because the idea of launching up to the plane, staying on the plane and using the ropes to steer it are things that seem a little more believable to me than much of the stuff in Snyder’s run, it’s also ridiculously awesome and creative and he doesn’t actually succeed in stopping the plane. I think the inventiveness counts for a lot with me. If you are going to do something ridiculous with a character, at least make is something I haven’t seen. The Flash’s just getting KO’d is the exact opposite of that which is why I will not defend it.

I find the stuff Snyder does is much more common and less impressive in it’s creativity. You’ve mentioned a few OP things in forty or so issues. I mentioned more in eleven issues of Snyder and it constantly undermines the stakes for me. Also, stuff like Batman falling a million feet and catching himself with his hands or getting trapped under ice only to be saved in some undisclosed way by a random passer by isn’t even interesting. I don’t like the Bat-Electro Magnetic Creator we discussed previously, but at least it’s creative to see people stuck to the side of a train.

Catwoman versus Talia duel is perhaps a bit OP, but they are both well experience fighters and I don’t know how they should stack up. Talia doesn’t have that many feats that I recall. She did beat the crap out of Selina in Hush though. Still, that’s pretty minor in my book. Talia is primarily a schemer villain in my perception who sends others to do her dirty work.

1 Like

Wonder Woman being so high and Green Arrow being so low are highly questionable.

4 Likes

I made several grammatical errors that are now killing me. Edition posts can’t arrive soon enough.

1 Like

@nu52

What do you love about the first arc of Green Arrow (I already made my criticisms in some detail in a post above) and what do you hate about Wonder Woman’s first arc?

1 Like

Talia has been trained to be part of the League of Assassins since she was a little girl, so I think she would probably be better at fighting with a sword than Catwoman.

And the plane doesn’t bother me at all remember the waves of armed guards Batman takes down in I Am Suicide?

In the end, Tom King doesn’t struggle that much with making characters too OP (I don’t think Snyder really does either, but that’s a different topic). But Tom King does struggle with characters acting illogical or out of character. And that’s what bothers me.

3 Likes

Ya Batman is the most divisive title from Rebirth, easily. I personally preferred Tynion’s Detective Comics as my main Batman title for Rebirth.

Heres my ranking for titles from the 2016 Rebirth launch event. Id say anything thats 3.5 or above is something I liked alot, 3 is OK. I liked the Rebirth event overall, I thought we got some pretty good runs that were overdue for certain characters.

1. Superman 4.5/5
  2. Red Hood and the Outlaws 4.5/5
  3. Green Arrow 4.5/5
  4. Detective Comics 4/5
  5. Wonder Woman 4/5
  6. Deathstroke 4/5
    7.New Superman 4/5
  7. Flash 4/5
    9.Hal Jordan and The Green Lantern Corps 4/5
  8. All-Star Batman 3.5/5
  9. Batgirl and the Birds of Prey 3.5/5
    12.Green Lanterns 3.5/5
  10. Aquaman 3.5/5
  11. Teen Titans 3.5/5
  12. Nightwing 3.5/5
  13. Hellblazer 3.5/5
  14. Trinity 3
  15. Titans 3
  16. Supergirl 3
  17. Batman Beyond 3
  18. Superwoman 3
  19. Action Comics 3
  20. Batman 3
  21. Justice League 3
  22. Harley Quinn 3
  23. Cyborg 3
  24. Blue Beetle 3
2 Likes

You guys aren’t including SuperSons and Batwoman!!!

1 Like

I didnt think Supersons and Batwoman were considered a part of Rebirth since they came a little later.

2 Likes

@MajorZuma Rebirth is more of a years long publishing initiative, like the New 52. It’s not just the stuff at the very beginning that counts as part of Rebirth.

2 Likes

Hard disagree on Green Arrow. That Percy run was ace!

Nightwing peaked early on in the first arc but overall was still solid stuff from Seeley.

Superman (Pre-Bendis)was my favorite run overall with The Flash coming close.

3 Likes

I know Kings Batman gets a bad wrap and I under stand the things people hate about it but I gotta say I’m just more interested in his story especially now with bane trying to break Batmans mind than I am in the stories in detective because detective seems to be following the status quo of what a Batman book should be not that that is a bad thing its just something I’ve seen million times were as the ideas in Kings run seems fresh and new I’ll be honest the constant “cat” and “bat” thing does get old though but I like everything else

1 Like

I’ve been really enjoying Jurgens run with Superman in Action Comics

1 Like