The Teen Titans Thread

This is an 8-issue limited series that came out at the end of the New 52 and told a story about how the original TT wiped their memories in order to stop a bad guy from destroying the universe. Overall, this was a solid read. Nothing spectacular and it still has a few traits of the New 52 in the writing. But it is cool seeing these characters back together, and just in time for them to REALLY remember the good old days when Wally West comes back home.

Also, I have no idea why the cover for the first issue has the JL and the other TT at some sort of memorial. This scene does NOT come into play at all

6 Likes

Ough I’m going to think about this forever now

6 Likes

i was wondering when youd see that lol

6 Likes

Few years ago, my first dip into the TT comic was the Rebirth run

I gotta say Damian, kidnapping former TT members and forcing them to band together is very in character for you. The starting line-up is Damian, Starfire, Raven, Beast Boy, and Wallace West as Kid Flash. Later on we would have Jackson Hyde, the new Aqualad, be a part of their team. There was certainly some conflict within the team, especially between Damian and Wallace, but it was still an enjoyable book to read.

Then later on, following No Justice, we got a new line-up

Wallace surprisingly comes back despite issues with Damian in the past, and I’m glad he’s back. Emiko Queen AKA Red Arroe is arguably too similar to Damian. But I eould argue she’s kinder and has more decelopment than Damian and within a shorter span. Then we have the debut of Crush, THE MAIN GAL! Roundhouse is also brand new and I grew to enjoy him. Djinn is the only character I’m neutral on. More often than not, she was a kind of love interest for Damian and Crush but I wasn’t into either pairing.

This team had some issues at first but they did grow as a team. Unfortunately, they had to confront Damian when they found out what he had been doing in secret. This resulted in him leaving to go find himself. The book would only last a few issues after he left and the Rebirth TT was replaced with Teen Titans Academy and the remaining members go to school.

Which is sad, because I wanted to keep following this crew. Admittedly, they probably needed a 5th member, but it’s not like they were short on options. I do hope this crew gets back together someday

6 Likes

This run was one of the worst. The lineup was good. I liked seeing Damian, Wallace, Emiko still as Titans with some new cool characters like Crush and Roundhouse. But the stories here were just ugly for no reason. It was so bad you swear Dr. Manhattan manipulated the DC universe again to become darker again.

No, the real reason why this run sucked was because the characterization of Damian was walked back from his improvements he made in the rebirth era with super sons and the first two volumes in Teen Titans rebirth series, so they can write him villainous. Likely due to editorial influence because of a certain publisher wanted to use that characterization for a canceled comic event that we should be glad never happened.

I would honestly compare this with the new 52 Teen Titans based on how mean-spirited the title became. I feel sorry for relative new readers of comics who were introduced to Damian this way and so sorry for Benjamin Percy. He was a great writer for DC comics yet they totally screwed him over with the changes they made with this title and to Nightwing at the time.

4 Likes

Oh wow! Our first major disagreement.

Can this relationship be saved?

5 Likes

If you liked this part of the series @EDT. Good for you. I think their is some things I could see people liking. Crush was pretty good, as well as Roundhouse, and Emiko relationship with Kid Flash. But I’m sorry, it’ll never make me happy seeing Damian hold a gun to someones face.

It’s just dumb and ugly.

No need. I tend to enjoy like 97% percent of your content and can’t imagine hating you based on your opinion about this d̶e̶s̶p̶i̶c̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ decent run. :laughing:

6 Likes

It seems like your critique mostly centers around Damian. Speaking for myself, I was never a HUGE fan of Damian, even though I have gotten to like him a bit more. And I’ve always viewed him as arrogant and needlesslt aggressive so seeing him do some of the things here didn’t surprise me. But I can see how bigger fans who have followed his journey more closely be turned off

However, Damian seems to have gone back to being a bit more heroic…in his own way. So thats a plus

5 Likes

you can read roundhouse’s adventures in speed force
hes in a book with wallace , avery and superboy

3 Likes

I’m surprised Roundhouse is in a Speedster-related book. But good for him for still doing hero work!

Whatever happened to Emiko Queen, do you know? I know she was with Stargirl during the Lost Children arc, but is she still active?

4 Likes

Finally getting around to the Rebirth Titans book

4 Likes

my favorite wally suit by far
i know it was used to make him seem lesser and like he was still kid flash but with the flash name so people werent too mad
but the suit was so good

4 Likes

I always really liked this suit too. Kinda wish they bring it back

3 Likes

same but the reason it exists is why it wont return

2 Likes

Two of my most fave in my collection:
Woldman and Perez’s September 1980 masterpiece first edition on the left, Alex Ross’s 2023 masterful homage on the right.
:purple_heart: :00_teen_titans:

5 Likes

Few things to note so far in Rebirth Titans:

-The annual issue rubs me the wrong way. I’m glad it highlights how close members of the Titans are, but it also shows how distant some JL members can be. I don’t mind that being shown to an extent, but the way it was presented here seemed harsh.

-I wasn’t a fan of how WW was written in it. And I also don’t like how they stuck with Donna’s clay origin of the New 52 and said her “original memories” were implanted in her. I get WHY, the Rebirth era is still technically a continuation of the New 52 and has to stick to certain things. But I’m glad that Donna has her true origin back.

-I like Lilith! Other than Titans Hunt, this is my first real exposure to her character and she’s great. I also like some of her interactions with Garth

4 Likes

donna troys origin is probably back to whatever one you want it to be as of death metal

4 Likes

Oh it is. Tom Taylor’s Tales of the Titans had a Donna issue that established her “being saved and raised by WW” origin is canon again

4 Likes

I dig this cover. But there is something funny about how all the other Titans have these large monstrous forms, overlooking Lilith…and Roy is just a little gnome :laughing:

A moment of empathy, as Donna describes it later. Obviously they aren’t going to be a couple. But…they do look good together, I’ll grant them that

It’s official. I’m becoming a supporter of the Lilith & Garth ship (Gilith? Larth? We’ll workshop the name later)

Screenshot 2024-04-04 6.10.00 PM

6 Likes

dont expect her to be with him
i suspect she might be put with power girl
plus i havent seen garth in anything present timeline wise in a bit

4 Likes