The Superman Thread

My best buddy looks beautiful

4 Likes

Indeed I do, and thank you. :superman_hv_4:

4 Likes

We who wear underwear over our pants have to stick together.

4 Likes

I don’t wear my drawers over my Wranglers. I’m fancy like that, you see. :face_with_monocle:

However…when I was a kid, I was known to wear a red towel about my person, so as to emulate George Reeves’ Superman while watching The Adventures of Superman reruns on Nick at Nite.

Like I said, fancy. :superman_hv_3:

4 Likes

Good morning, and Happy New DC Comics Day, :superman:uper-fans! :hugs:

What are we reading from DC’s best and brightest, this morning?

I’m currently scoping out this swell read that I scooped out of the dollar bin at Yon Comic Shoppe last week:

3 Likes

Batgirls and Tec Annuals for me!

4 Likes

Haven’t read the issue, but technically Manchester Black colluding with Lex (in that case, President Lex) is actually a been there, done that story arc.

@millernumber1 I vote GLOBE as well.

@Vroom I am trying to read a physical (collection) of Flash Year One, I have not read any of Williamson’s run so far and thought that would be a good start. However, I also just signed up for the HBO Max Black Friday special and wasted a few hours I should have been doing something else checking out the content.

4 Likes

They all have Superman in them.

3 Likes

I mean, the circumstances there were a bit different since Manchester was hired by Lex to lead the Suicide Squad in a pretty do or die/extinction level event situation. But, I concede point. I still didn’t like it in this context, but again… minor gripe.

2 Likes

I barely remember the Manchester Black story I am referring but really thought that Black was not someone that they should have brought back at all after the Joe Kelly story, period. The Hamilton County stuff in Rebirth was essentially pointless catering to a particular portion of the fandom, and the Teen Titans stuff in New 52 was - like many of the efforts in the New 52 to attempt to repurpose aspects of the DC canon - a failure. Not as big a failure as say the Doomed crossover, but nothing anyone will ever remember with any fondness.

I was not thrilled when he was signed up for the “Authority” part of the Warworld epic, which has gone on for far too long that I’m not sure I’m even going to prioritize reading the actually collection when its available (I’m more of a wait-for-trade guy in general).

But yes, I see your points. Thanks for the response!

3 Likes

Those aren’t exactly :superman:uper books, you silly goose! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No, but a swell guess, all the same. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

I get why you would feel that way. I’ve never had the dedication to Kelly’s run to really feel the same way.

Agreed.

I feel this is a bit harsh. I get why they would use Manchester in a Teen Titan’s story. He has a punk rock vibe that feeds into rebellious youth culture. Was his time in the Teen Titans book great? Nah. Was it a failure? Again, nah. I’m also a supporter of the New 52 trying to reinterpret aspects of the DCU in different ways. I would argue that some of them came off like the reimagined Greek pantheon in Wonder Woman while some didn’t like the new N.O.W.H.E.R.E. in Teen Titans. Overall, I give them credit for at least trying new things in that era. I also liked Doomed.

I would encourage you to give both Superman & The Authority and the recent Warworld epic a shot! Both were great in my opinion!

3 Likes

Yes! I knew I wasn’t the only person that liked Doomed! :smile:

3 Likes

:laughing: I really liked Greg Pak’s run! It was an underrated run in what I believe was an unfairly vilified era.

3 Likes

I read Superman and the Authority (Because Morrison) and I’ll likely re-read in a few years when I make the effort to sludge through the entirety of War World.

@Vroom Heresy by you both.

Pak was fine, he wasn’t the problem with Doomed. He’s on record not really wanting to or being interested in Doomed but having to play along because of the cross over.

Doomed being based on stupidity was the problem with Doomed. Doomed being a cross-over that went on for far too long, consuming too many titles was the problem with Doomed.

2 Likes

So did I. I like most everything I’ve read by Pak, be it DC or otherwise.

tugs on his “Make mine Planet Hulk!” t-shirt

It is, unfortunately.

A lot of it seems to be from people who weren’t fans then and have unfortunately let ignorant videos from YouTube/elsewhere, as well as ignorant articles by “experts” from assorted sites color their perception of the era, and before they’ve even read anything from it.

I heard Chuck Austen’s run on Uncanny X-Men stunk, but did I let the Internet (and comic mags like Wizard) mislead me on it before I gave it an open-minded and fair chance to prove itself?

Nope.

I found out his run was lacking all on my own. :joy:

SN: I don’t care what others say, I liked Austen’s run on Action.

SN 2: Whatever happened to Chuck Austen?

3 Likes

I actually based my opinion on being a fan (apparently often one of the few who is willing to admit it) of Silver Age Barry Allen, and on the Manabuc run being one of the first things I read (after Morrison’s Action run) of the New 52. And again, as I believe I mentioned elsewhere, keep in mind that although I scan and sometimes read floppies and often participated in ‘read along’ story times on web sites for both New 52 and Rebirth books, I didn’t read some of them floppy to floppy to consider myself as able to intelligently comment other than on a specific page or specific things that happened within that issue, as part of a story time/read along discussion.

That all prefaced - the art in the Flash was beautiful which is why I continued to read the collections, but the stories were just too many not intelligently conceptualized rehashes of the Silver Age stories. I agree that stuff can be reinterpreted and reimagined; much of the story-telling in the middle ages and the story-telling in the renaissance is simply that. But using Grimm’s fairy tales or the stories of Camelot and King Arthur as examples, there are ways the stories can be reinterpreted that work and ways that they don’t. IMHO, the Flash run in the New 52 was a pretty but tedious example of what I am talking about (as well) with Teen Titans, Superboy and yes, the Superman self-titled, and Action Comics outside of a few arcs.

3 Likes

Do note that I wasn’t referring to you (or anyone on DCUI, for that matter) in my last post. :slightly_smiling_face:

Rather…its the ignorant masses in YouTube comment sections, social media and elsewhere I was referring to.

Fans on DCUI are a well-informed, well-educated bunch.

Fans elsewhere on the Internet? Eh, not so much. :wink:

2 Likes

Same!

At the time, I noticed that people crawled out of the woodwork to trash New 52. Many of them were people who I did not notice in comic message board communities before. This lead me to believe that many of them had lapsed in reading the Post-Crisis stuff before New 52 had been announced and only suddenly cared again when it was seemingly about to be over. Maybe that’s an incorrect perception, but I will say that there were not too many people discussing the New Krypton story arc as it was happening (I was one of the few).

:laughing: Respectfully, I don’t want to touch Austen’s run on anything.

I love Silver Age Barry and the Silver Age, in general! Admittedly, I was not reading Flash during New 52 and have only read a few Flash stories from that era, so I wouldn’t have much to comment on that.

I do have a lot of opinions on the above titles during New 52. Best I’ll say for now is that some things in them worked, some things in them didn’t. I feel most of them could have benefitted from better editing and possibly different choices for writers.

3 Likes

I didn’t think you were - my only reference was to liking Doomed, so no worries!

4 Likes