The Superman Thread

Yeah…I know it has been eluded to before in the comics…it has just been so long, that I thought it couldn’t be that…

2 Likes

Thanks Vroomy. For those that are interested, here is my take:

3 Likes

Hey…does anyone know what is going to happen to Action Comics during the Dark Crisis run??? Is it going to continue? Featuring Lois? or Jon?

3 Likes

According to PKJ, continuing normally. How it links into Dark Crisis will become clear as things develop.

4 Likes

There will be a Dark Crisis Special called World Without a Superman in July. Action and Son of Kal-El will continue as is until we reach a point later in the year when they catch up to the events in JLA #75.

5 Likes

Thanks!

3 Likes

Thanks…glad they aren’t feeling rushed to get the WarWorld arc done…hope all of this Dark Crisis stuff goes well. I have high hopes, but then again, I had high hopes for the Trial of the Amazons…and that was a hot mess.

2 Likes

Rumor has it that the Ta-Nehisi Coates Superman movie script features a powered down Superman and/or could be a period piece. Same rumor mill implies that it may not necessarily be about a black Superman. Instead they’d be using his alien heritage to highlight race issues, and they’d be going with “color blind” casting. Thoughts:

• In all honesty, I like my Superman powered up, not down. I get that a good movie shouldn’t be all about the action and powers. The way I picture Superman in my head though, the powers and visuals are a big part of it. Flight, super strength, heat vision, etc… the most powerful man on the planet. He can use these powers to do anything he wants, but his good nature and his wholesome upbringing directs him to use them only to help others and do what’s right. Sure you can power him down to show who the man is in Superman, like PKJ is currently doing. I expect that to be an element in overall story though, not the norm for the character.
  • I don’t mind injecting social commentary about race or what have you in a superhero movie. If they go with an African American version, whether it’s Calvin Ellis, Val-Zod, a Black Clark Kent, or something else entirely, make it beautiful, make it hopeful. Make it so that Superman brings people together. The world has enough racism and ugliness. When I pay money to go to the movies, I want to feel uplifted, not reminded of said ugliness. I don’t want another movie like Joker, especially not for Superman.
  • Period piece? Interesting choice. If this rumor is true, I hope they tread carefully. Could be made into a good movie if done right (ala Wonder Woman). What kind of message would that send though? Superman is the Man of Yesterday, not the Man of Tomorrow? There’s enough “Superman is not relevant” commentary going around. Prefer that it is based in today’s world, but open to the period piece stuffs.
  • My hope is that the focus of a Superman movie is highlighting the greatness of the character and the hope & inspiration he provides. A movie that showcases Metropolis and/or Smallville. A movie that has a formidable villain (preferably not Lex Luthor, at least to start) for Superman to overcome. A movie that builds up the other characters in Superman’s life, including the Kents, Lois, Perry, Jimmy, etc. A movie with bright, amazing visuals, with that blue suit, red
    cape, and big S loud & proud.
5 Likes

Last night I read Superman Unchained. I liked this for what it was. The appeal of Scott Snyder and Jim Lee on a Superman book was definitely there. I liked Snyder’s take on Superman and you can tell he wasn’t a fan of Superman and Wonder Woman being in a relationship. He did have Wonder Woman appear but never in the same place as Superman, instead he teased a relationship with Lois. Considering this was New 52 era, it was interesting to see this.

Jim Lee’s art is great but he is sort of hit and miss for me. Throughout this book there were moments of greatness mixed with odd inking choices. Not sure if these were based off of notes from Jim Lee or the inker just following Jim Lee’s sketch lines. It happened on more than one page so it couldn’t be counted as a mistake.

The story was enjoyable and everything I want in a Superman story. The big bad was effective. Meanwhile, I forgot how annoying Sam Lane from New 52 was. I know throughout comics/tv shows he hasn’t been a fan of Superman. During this era he often felt like Lex Luthor with the government behind him.

5 Likes

Sam Lane is a strange character sometimes. I think my first real exposure to him was during the New 52, and he really really reminded me of General Ross from Hulk comics, who’s obsessed with stopping the Hulk. I can totally understand why a general wouldn’t be entirely trusting of Superman, and that can create an interesting dynamic, but it is easy sometimes for him just to come off like Lex.

4 Likes

That is a good comparison. The only trait that Sam Lane seems to have is his strained relationship with Lois. It doesn’t matter what era of comics, it is there.

3 Likes

I think it’s much more interesting portraying him as a fundamentally good person who is skeptical of the unstoppable space alien who could singlehandedly dismantle the entire US military (if not all militaries). Even if he wanted to think Superman was basically good, they don’t have the same agenda.

3 Likes

I want to say we see that side of him in the 90s comics or maybe it was early 2000s. I know in the TV show Lois and Clark, he was more of a military man. I don’t think they ever dived too deep into too much else.

2 Likes

I’ve always been kind of fascinated by Lois and Clark keeping Clark’s identity a secret from him. Especially when they’re married and have a son. I totally get why they do it, and it’s probably the right decision, but I just can’t imagine how he’d react when he found out.
Speaking of Sam and Jon, have they interacted since Jon became a teenager? I’m not entirely caught up with all my super-titles, but I’m very curious about how people who don’t know Jon’s secret react to his disappearance and suddenly looking much much older.
Although the way the DC Universe is, people probably wouldn’t be too confused. You could just say space rays did it or he got a tainted box of Lexcorp cereal or something.

3 Likes

In Superman and Lois, it isn’t a secret. In fact, it was a subplot at the beginning of the first season. I really need to sit down and watch the rest of that season.

Now regarding the comics, I am not 100% sure if Sam Lane knows. I have been reading the new books since Infinite Frontier and have the Tomasi omnibus but haven’t found the time to read that. I am sure with Superman’s identity being out in the world, Sam Lane put two and two together.

3 Likes

I need to finish the first season of Superman and Lois, too. It’s really good, I’m not sure why I haven’t finished it yet. I was happy that Sam knew, it made the dynamic a lot more interesting.

3 Likes

I liked that aspect in the show. I am not sure how I feel about two sons but I am rolling with it. The one thing I am worried about is it being canceled as the Arrowverse is slowly being axed on CW. If it goes to HBOMax, that is great but that means the seasons will stop being available for sale on Vudu like Doom Patrol season 2.

2 Likes

I wasn’t sure about the kids at first either, but Clark having to balance being a husband and dad and also Superman is really compelling and interesting to me. For a parent, your kids should be basically your top priority, but for someone like Superman, that might not necessarily always be true or possible.

4 Likes

I would say that isn’t always true for Superman as he is currently in Warworld fighting with Mongol. I am enjoying that storyline but I can’t wait for him to be with Lois again.

3 Likes

Sam Lane knew just before he died during Event Leviathan. Lois told him, but his reaction wasn’t a favorable one.

5 Likes