The Superman Thread

I have the first issue and haven’t read it. This was a series I had to cut just try to keep my bloated pull list somewhat more manageable. I am waiting for DCUI releases for this and One-Star Squadron.

3 Likes

I remember you saying that. I hope you’ll enjoy the title as it comes here.

As for trimming a bloated pull list, I dropped Aquamen, Batman, Deathstroke Inc., 'Tec and, now that TOTA is over, Wonder Woman.

I keep telling myself I should also drop Naomi: Season Two and Justice League vs. LOSH but dang it, I like Bendis and both of those series, so I can’t do it.

3 Likes

Meanwhile I cannot pick them up because greatly dislike Bendis’s work.

2 Likes

To each their own.

I think a lot of people unfairly criticize him and will automatically hate anything he does, no matter how good it may be, which is silly.

4 Likes

As Someone who really dislikes his Superman, his Young Justice, his Legion of Super Heroes, and his Justice League, I actually like Naomi and Batman Universe.

4 Likes

Bendis Re-Reading 3 (final)
After finishing the Leviathan arc…Action Comics and Superman split and seem to be written by two different writers. First Superman:
The “Truth” arc begins and Superman reveals his identity. For the record I am not a big fan of the identity reveal. That being said, after re-reading it, I think that despite my objections, it was done surprisingly well. Bendis seemed to be really concentrating on this rather than Action Comics, because the writing was much better. The aftermath was handled well, from the awkwardness at the Daily Planet to Superman second guessing his decision after all the emotional trauma he went through between his father, Jon aging, etc. There was a really nice issue where he discussed all of this with Dr. Fate and later on with Lois. Still not a fan of the idea, but it was a nice arc.
Meanwhile, Action Comics seemed to go off the rails. I will fully admit that it may have been Romita Jr.‘s art that made me have a negative outlook. I mean, I like stylized art (Frank Miller’s Dark Knight, WW Dead Earth, etc)…but the art in this just…irritated me. We have the Year of the Villain tie in with a battle guest starring the Justice League and Young Justice, The conclusion of the Invisible Mafia and the House of Kent. All of these should have been good…but fell flat. Between juvenile dialogue, and two-dimensional plot lines, it felt like Bendis just was treading water (or having an intern write for him). Most disappointing of all was the fate of Red Cloud. An impressive villainess whose story should have been more nuanced and tragic (torn between being an aspiring reporter who gets to work with Lois Lane, and the horrible things they did to her at STAR Labs). She ended just as a villain who over-reached by going for power and retribution with no clear motivation. Maybe a writer can rehabilitate her. House of Kent should have been fun, but was ruined by too many silly jokes and sappy conversations. In fact, all of these stories felt like they were being targeted toward young teens…which is ok, just not my bag…but then again, it could have been that art.
I did like the part (I actually forget which book it was in) where the FBI is getting all intimidating with the Kent family…telling them to watch it or else and Lois lawyers up with Kate Spencer…but this went nowhere.
Meanwhile, back in Superman, it ended with the solid “Mythological” arc. The only complaint I had was the alien motivations and conversations were sometimes confusing, and I had to go back and re-read them. But the story was Superman centered and spot on with his character and motivations…and while I read that some found it creepy, I loved the ending when they were talking to the song writer about how he listens for her music (this was a reference to a short scene all the way back to the beginning of Bendis’ run…Clark mentions it when flying around).
Overall…I was sorry to see it go. Especially now, when it seems like Clark and Lois’ story has been lost and meandering (although I am loving the War World arc). I do like Jon’s book, but I am not done with Lois and Clark, yet…want much more.
When Bendis wrote well, I really liked his work. Often, though, it seemed like he was not into some of the stories he was writing. His dialogue ranged from truly inspiring to absolute drivel, so it is hard to pin him down. And often he would often skip over “discovery” in his story and go straight to “fact” making it seemed rushed (and like you were reading something with every third word taken out)…This however, could have been the editors fault…trying to save money by having less panels.
I enjoyed reading them all again. In retrospect, better than I remembered!! Now onto two great highlights of that era…a re-reading of Rucka’s Lois Lane and Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen!!

3 Likes

Finally, another Naomi fan. I knew they existed! :grin:

Also, Batman Universe was quite good. Kind of curious that it gets overlooked when people talk about Bendis.

2 Likes

Yeah! Good to know I’m not alone.

That is odd. I think it’s mostly because it isn’t quite like anything he’s written. I don’t mean that in the sense that, “Haha! Bendis usually makes bad comics but this is a good one.”, but more of it isn’t reflective of his other works. I like Naomi, and it’s 100% a Bendis comic.

3 Likes

Lois Lane: enemy of the People re-reading

HELP! I have a couple of questions!!!

I absolutely LOVE this story.
It does have shortcomings, like the fact he had essentially two different stories going on and so both kind of get muddled. Rucka should have stuck with one of the stories, then had a follow-up. For those who don’t know, there is a corruption story and a “Convergence” story.
But what is GREAT about this series is the characters. Rucka did a magnificent job teaming up Lois with Renee Montoya. It works on every level, and I would love for both of them to be in a book together. The dialogue is spot-on, and Perkins does an incredible job with his expressive art work (it seems like half of the art work is devoted to character facial expressions and it speaks volumes!
First Question (please help my fellow Superman nerds
What is happening here? What happened in space that Lois can’t tell Clark? Clark obviously knows the explanation she gave in Bendis’ story isn’t true…anyone? Does it have to do with the Convergence? But then why does she feel she needs to protect Clark from it?

Second Question
When did Lois date Lex Luthor in continuity? This was also referred to in Bendis’ story in a comment by the mayor…Did I miss something?

Here is an example of the Renee & Lois dynamic…flirty in the first, Renee a little hurt in the second that Lois won’t confide to her about her “affair” with Superman…and Renee reeling Lois back in for the third. Did I say how much I loved them together?

*Here is an example of Perkins art at its best…the expression that Lois gives Clark at her father’s funeral when she won’t take the flag because she believes he would disapprove…it gets me every time. She is so vulnerable, begging Clark for help with a look…magic. *

One of my favorite scenes. The whole newsroom goes quiet when Lois walks through the Daily Planet offices.

Last Question
How did Lois come to know she was from a “different world” via the Convergence (I think that is what they are referring to)? And how did she know Sister Clarice and Renee were also experiencing that same feeling of “double life”…It was kind of implied that Lois tracked Renee and Clarice down because she knew somehow that they were going through the same things. Renee also makes an observation elsewhere that she believes Lois is from another world…are they talking about Convergence? Or did Lois get replaced again when she was in space? Help!!!

3 Likes

Also a Naomi fan. She has excellent taste in superheroes.

Batman Universe read like Batman from the 1970s. He’s civil, only dark towards those that deserve it, a good friend and teammate, I think he may have said “please” in there somewhere. Please give Bendis the Batman book I say.

3 Likes

It definitely did read like an older Batman comic. To me, it seemed like a modern day issue of the Brave and the Bold.

3 Likes

I’m gonna take a couple swings here:

The way I read it, Lois was telling the truth. Her creative juices were flowing after her experience in space. She needed to write and wanted the space to do it on her own terms. I think Clark’s insinuation that “something happened” with his dad is conjecture on his part.

If I remember correctly, in Dan Jurgens’ Lois & Clark, Post Crisis Superman & Lois clearly know they’re from another world, with them operating in secrecy in parallel with New 52 Superman and Lois. Later during Rebirth, New 52 Lois turns to ash like New 52 Clark did before her. Rebirth Clark is then “merged” with New 52 Clark in the Reborn arc, through what we later find out is Dr. Manhattan shenanigans. Perhaps that is why Lois didn’t want to tell Clark about how alternate universe versions of some folks bleed into one another causing them the trauma that it does, because Clark himself is a “mix” of two previous versions?

Man that was a wild swing :joy:

I think maybe this is referring to this gossip headline from the Daily Planet in Action 1004. Folks just took it as fact.

2 Likes

That’s what I thought, but after the Convergence of both their worlds (after the Mxy arc) it appeared that everything was fused and no one remembered. It wasn’t brought up again till now.

I would agree…but she goes on and gives a speech about how he has to trust her, and that she is “protecting” him. Protecting him from what? The dialogue pretty much confirms something happened. If she remembers her former world…does Clark not? I guess he doesn’t because he doesn’t remember Conner in the “House of Kent” arc…But still…the information about there being a Convergence of worlds wouldn’t be traumatic to Clark…so why the secrecy?? Sure, its a comic, and I’m probably reading i way too deep…but Rucka rarely throws out nonsense…(I wonder…how can one talk to Rucka and get the real scoop.)

Maaaaaybe??? Except the mayor (Bendis) said she was dating him again…so…I don’t know…glad I’m not the only one puzzling over this stuff!

3 Likes

I tried :man_shrugging:.

Good observations on your part of course. Maybe our resident DC expert @HubCityQuestion can grace the thread with his presence and help fill in the blanks?

3 Likes

of course! @HubCityQuestion can answer anything I’m told!! Anyways @moro …diving into Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen again…then I am done with that era…have no idea what I’m going to read next! Maybe go back to Superman and the City of Tomorrow??? I remember there being some crazy stuff during that time period…Suggestions?

3 Likes

Haven’t read that one. Will keep it in mind for future reading.

I put together my ranking of the major Superman stories I read here (keep thinking I need give it another look):

I would recommend anything on that list, even the lower ranks. Actually with Neal Adam’s passing, God bless his soul, it would be appropriate to revisit The Coming of the Supermen, just to treat one’s eyes to his amazing artwork. I may not have liked the story at the time of reading, but I’ve changed my mind before!

2 Likes

Thanks for the list! I will check them out…I know one I want to read again is Superman: American Alien…no one ever talks about it, but I remember really liking it!

3 Likes

Check out The Modern Age Superman Club’s next selection, which goes up tomorrow. :superman_hv_4:

3 Likes

Lex pursuing Lois (and presumably temporarily dating her) is established waaaaay back in John Byrne’s Man of Steel. Post-Reborn, I’m assuming that’s part of the merged continuity. At least that’s what I thought when I read that.

5 Likes

This can also be seen in old Superman’s Girlfriend Lois Lane comics.

4 Likes