The Superman Thread

Good idea @Bar-El. I don’t typically participate in watch alongs, but happy to provide a suggestion. How about animated Death of Superman and Reign of the Supermen?

3 Likes

That would be super fun!

Ok here’s and idea, what if we make a movie marathon of all the comic adaptations. That way I could link the comic with the event for the rest of the community! Granted there are also a ton of those so I’ll see what that might look like. Off the top of my head there is:

• All Star Superman
  • Death also Doomsday but let’s just go with the one tied to Reign
  • Reign
  • Superman Batman Public Enemies
  • S/B Apocalypse
  • Supes vs. the Elite
  • Unbound
  • Red Son

I can put them in order day of. They’re usually about an hour long so we can fit way more animated movies in a day than we could the live stuff. Still that’s already a full day of movies!

5 Likes

As much as I would love a watchalong marathon to watch them all, perhaps something more regimented:

• mini marathon of 2 or 3 movies
  • break
  • next leg, 1 or 2 movies
  • break
  • and so on until either we exhaust our choices or ourselves

A lot of this would depend on run times as well as structuring the watches to keep every one in sync. Also, the number of movies per ‘marathon leg’ is arbitrary as well as the length of each break, depending on demand and when people are most available.

Of course, 4 or 5 more or less back to back can also work, but to keep the watching along audience in sync, mini intermissions would be needed, depending on run time. E.g., if a movie is 82 minutes and the watch started at 1PM ET, the movie would be ending at 2:22PM ET, then the next movie would start at 2:25PM ET. Or at least that’s how I practice my watchalong theory.

Either way, a little math is going to have to enter the equation, pun totes intended.

4 Likes

Good call on breaks, looking at the run times they are all about 1.5 hrs long so we could have a half hour break between each one. That way we can start each movie at the top of the hour to make it a little easier to follow.

I was thinking of making a community event out of this and adding it to the community calendar. I can put something together like my Superman/Batman Read/Watch events just with a little less background info and simply post the schedule and link to the source comic. People can pop in for which ever movies they’d like to attend.

Right now this list of movies is about 12 hours of watch time not including breaks. We could cut out the Superman/Batman movies since we just had watch parties for those and that would make the total time including breaks 12 hours. That’s a pretty good Superman Day! We can factor in a longer intermission if we cut one more but with everyone spread out across different time zones I think it might be better to just have the mini breaks after each one.

4 Likes

Making it a community event and adding it to the calendar is a good idea. It might even get the banner plug.

2 Likes

Ok the event is live! Let me know if you have suggestions for the post and making anything easier to understand :smiley:
Also, I talked with the Mods and they will post a banner the day of!

3 Likes

Anybody have thoughts on Superman: Up in the Sky? I love it. I’d say it’s become one of my favorite Superman stories. I just finished reading it for the fourth or fifth time. I’ll share a few of my favorite parts below as spoilers:

I love Batman’s speech to Superman in Part 1: “There’s a difference between you and me. Between you and everyone. We’re who we are. And you’re Superman.”
I love the alien healer describing why he has to help Superman in Part 4 (issue 2).
I love how Superman performs the contradiction of running faster than the Fastest Man Alive™ in Part 7 (issue 4) because he’s that motivated to help others. Or, in the words of Part 12 (issue 6), “Are you going to help everyone?” “No. But I’m going to try.”
I love Superman’s description in Part 12 (issue 6) of why Batman would beat him in a fight: “Winning fights doesn’t make me happy…. My work, my family, my dog, this…. You, Alice, talking to you, seeing that you’re good, that makes me happy.”
Finally I especially love the last two pages of the story (Part 12, issue 6). I think this is a pretty perfect encapsulation of Superman as a character:

6 Likes

It’s one of my all time favorite Superman stories as well. A true odyssey and the ultimate exploration of his character and motivations. I need to get it in print to add to my collection.

4 Likes

Agreed; this was a very good read. I haven’t read it multiple times like you, but I remember enjoying every moment. I like Superman books that capture multiple sides of his character, and his legend. He will cross the universe to save a child… he will enter a boxing ring with another alien to get a lead on her whereabouts (if I remember correctly)… he will race the fastest man alive for a good cause… he will make a deal with Darkseid to serve his mission, without sacrificing his ideals/morals… the list goes on. He’s kind, badass, and resourceful all at the same time. Couple that with some great action, and you have yourself a great Superman book.

Sidenote: If I’m wrong on any of the details I’ve given, apologies. I have a terrible comic book memory. The feelings remain true though :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I love most of the chapters of Superman: Up in the Sky, I just wish someone else had drawn the series.

It’s probably my favorite Tom King work after Batman/ Elmer Fudd.

3 Likes

I need to see this!

3 Likes

Well would you look at that!

3 Likes

I came to appreciate Andy Kubert by the end of the miniseries, but there definitely times I think faces or poses seem off.

2 Likes

Inspired by our friend, @Bar-El, I spent a large portion of my weekend watching animated Superman movies. (My family was out of town, so I had lots of free time.) So I’m going to attempt a ranking here (best to worst):

1. All-Star Superman
  2. Superman Unbound
  3. The Death of Superman
  4. Superman vs. the Elite
  5. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
  6. Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
  7. Reign of the Supermen
  8. Superman: Man of Tomorrow
  9. Superman: Red Son

I know there’s also Superman: Doomsday, but I didn’t get around to rewatching it, and I think I’ve pretty well replaced it with Death and Reign in my brain at this point. I’m pretty set on #1 and #9, but honestly I like all nine of these, and those middle slots are pretty flexible. I’m going with this order for today at least.

Anybody else want to attempt a ranking or name your favorite(s)?

7 Likes
  1. Reign of the Supermen
  2. Superman vs. The Elite
  3. Doomsday
  4. Public Enemies
  5. Death of Superman
  6. Superman Unbound
  7. Superman Red Son
  8. Man of Tomorrow
  9. All-Star
  10. Apokalips
5 Likes

I also need to rewatch Doomsday, it’s been too long to remember it well enough so I’m leaving it out of my ranking.

1. All-Star
  2. Vs. the Elite
  3. Apocalypse
  4. Red Son
  5. Public Enemies
  6. Unbound
  7. Man of Tomorrow
  8. Death
  9. Reign

My rating criteria is based off #1 does it leave me feeling enlightened, #2 how often do I want to watch it, and #3 action quality, I like me some fights!
:fist_left: :stuck_out_tongue: :fist_right:

5 Likes

@Bar-El, even though we had to find some “funny stuff” to pick up our sad feels afterwards. :rofl: :rofl: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Well half of his animated movies has him “die” or “dead”! HALF! That’s ridiculous! :sneezing_face:

4 Likes

@Bar-El completely agree.
But we made the best of it. :sunglasses: :+1: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

@bigblock66 whats your rating for the Supes animated movies?

4 Likes