The Superman Thread

I enjoyed the two part cross-over that they did for Convergence, but I thought the OC that Jurgens created for what he knew was going to be a short term series, was wholly unnecessary and a particularly uninteresting one. He felt a great deal like a Marlel villain that Dan had not gotten to (or possibly had used) on any one of his runs over there, as I’ve not ever read a single one of those, and simply ported over to DC. He’s the kind of OC, that if Dan had never gotten to write the Rebirth Action Comics run, and didn’t have any continuing opportunities to write Superman content now, would never see the light of day again, that’s how unforgettable and one-note of a villain he was. And that’s the kind of behavior - and not that Jurgens is solely to blame here - DC editorial should take a hand in these situations, but he’s not the first, nor even the last writer to do this, and just as readers are annoyed with the OCs Bendis created for his three/four arcs on both titles, which is a short number of issues for the sheer amount of OC Bendis brought on board, as just one recent example, people were not and are not thrilled by even a writer they like, in this case Jurgens, when he did in Arrival (or whatever you want to call the Lois and Clark mini-series that immediately pre-dated Rebirth and ran contemporaneously with The Death of Super Bro.

I’m actually more disappointed with Weeks since I enjoyed his art in that Mini and the Convergence two-parter and I liked the variant (I forget at the moment whether he did the one or did two) for Superman '78, for example, and other covers he’s done, and the two I’ve seen so far look frankly like rejected left-overs from Arrival. Totally and fully underwhelming.

Jurgens is a technically proficient writer that is capable of putting together an interesting enough story; however, the Action Rebirth run, and the issues he did on the post 52 volume two run of Booster Gold have just shown me that he tends to do some of the laziness and uninteresting - almost a paths of least resistance types of work ethic - that just never bodes well, IMHO, to good work - that he has been capable - just not regularly, of late.

I will add, if it helps, that I do think his pencil and ink work is as good as he ever was.

2 Likes

I’m kinda of Bendis neutral - I am not really upset about what he did, but neither am I super excited about it. I thought his Action Comics run had some really fun, exciting storylines in it - the House of Kent and the lead up to Event Leviathan in particular. I definitely got tired of the walls of negativity on the run, particularly since most of it seemed to be motivated by a love for the Tomasi run of both Superman and Super Sons, which I generally disliked.

I don’t think Lois and Clark 2 is a masterpiece - but I think it’s really fun. I just feel kinda alone on that right now. Everyone seems to ignore it or bag on it.

3 Likes

Wasn’t me :joy:.

Like I mentioned before. I’m enjoying the story. I didn’t mention this before, but I like how it links the Doomsday stuff to more current events. It’s been a fun tale.

Speaking of Jurgens. I’m at some point in 1994 in my triangle era readings. I just hit the Zero Hour Superman stuff, so I have to make a detour to read that event to make sense of the Superman issues. I’ve read a lot of negative takes on this event, so time to see if they hold true for me. Will report back once I’m through with it, but will take me some time :slightly_smiling_face:.

3 Likes

Neat stuff on your triangle reading! I really loved the first Lois and Clark series, and I loved how the Death of Superman 30th Anniversary story tied that to the, well, Death of Superman (to match my beautiful DCUI Ultra deluxe edition :slight_smile: ), so I just love that it’s this little thread of story being told from place to place with such lovely art. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This got posted on reddit - thought people here might appreciate it, he got lovely responses - which is not par for the course for reddit. Apparently, this gentlemen in Arizona has posted repeatedly and run his own subreddit about it and is well known at least in the Superman sub which is where I came across it.

EDITED (so as to not post twice in a row):

@moro @Vroom @DoctorPhobos I stuck my thumb in mouth and stuck it out the window but there wasn’t any wind, so I bought both tickets - but probably will not use the second.

I’d be at that shopping district for almost six hours if I stay for the Donner Cut, plus the people joining me for Superman won’t stay out that late as it’s a school night for them.

6 Likes

Here, Superman thing:

3 Likes

You’re a better fan than I am. There aren’t any viewings where I live, but even if there was, I probably wouldn’t have done it. I only go to the movies a few times a year, so I’ll save those trips for movies I don’t have memorized. Have fun though, and let us know all about it!

4 Likes

Superman: Lost #2 and Superboy: The Man of Tomorrow #1 drop today - very exciting! And they snuck in the finalist 6 pagers they promised back during the second contest as backup features - very cool! Anyone check out these great new Superman/fam comics today?

5 Likes

No.

2 Likes

Sad day! You should check out what your best buddy is doing! (Best Kryptonian buddy, at least! And his clone!)

3 Likes

I do not read Round Robin stuff out of principle. I do not read modern myself or Superman works since they rely way too much on crossovers.

2 Likes

I read all the Round Robin stuff on super hardcore principle! :slight_smile: What is the cutoff for “modern”? 5 years ago? 10 years ago? 15?

3 Likes

I put the cutoff at Zero Hour. Once you get to there it seems every famous “storyline” is nothing but 50+ issues with a horde of different writers and comic serieses.

2 Likes

Sadge!

2 Likes

Superboy: Man of Tomorrow 1 was great! The book is off to a strong start!

6 Likes

Well, if we’re tossing Kon-El content on to this thread as well, they released promotional posters for the Titans finale. Here’s Conner’s:

@millernumber1 I’m also looking forward to SB-MOT (and since I voted for it, I’m glad it won), but still have a heck of a lot of packing to do and have appointments tomorrow I cannot put off. So I’m not going to get a chance to even skin it for a bit. Superman Lost I’m very curious about but I’ll likely wait till it’s collected, versus trying to read at we go along, especially now that I know it’s 10 issues - I had thought it was going to be 3 or 4, like most of the prestige format and Black Label stuff turns out to be. I didn’t notice the first issue the last time I was at an LCS, but now that I am reminded of it, I’ll probably look for it later this month when I go and see if any of The Flash movie figures are available in the wild.

@moro Well, you’re coupled, which makes sense, unless you did date nights for movies.

And, as for me, I don’t have the movie memorized, it’s likely been more than a decade since I’ve seen more than clips of it, and even though this particular theater doesn’t have Atmos, I’m also looking forward to hearing the soundtrack in a huge theater, which is another reason for me to go. I had wanted to go to the Hollywood Bowl celebration for Williams a few years back but it was too expensive for my tastes, especially since I could not convince anyone else to go. So this will also somewhat make up for that.

And while I watch a lot of stuff at home, I definitely go to see at least one movie a month, on average and sometimes more. Don’t forget that the urban areas in California had closed theaters longer than other parts of the country and even when they reopened, only allowed partial seats to be sold - which is why I missed WW’87 and to this day have not seen it, as I am hoping it will come back to a theater (The Batpatinson is about to play a local theater next week (one night only), as is Tenant in two weeks at another, both movies I missed that I’d like to see on a big screen - I will miss one due to a dinner meeting I cannot postpone, but I might go see the other.

3 Likes

Yeah I live in California too, so I’m familiar with that. I think a side effect of the pandemic is I don’t feel the itch to go to the movies as much as I used to.

Good point on hearing the John Williams music on loud speakers. One thing I’ve always wanted to do is attend a live orchestra performance of that. Maybe one day :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Good to see some other proud Superboy Round Robin voters out here in the wild! It looks like they’re not doing a third year of Round Robin, which I think is probably wise, but I liked the first two years of comics, and if Blue Beetle wasn’t for me, that’s fine! I hope it finds its audience!

I hope when you get a chance, you’ll share your thoughts on Superboy and Lost here!

3 Likes

Some cool news! The Superman: Birthright sequel is finally announced, starting in July! Called “The Last Days of Lex Luthor”, it’s about Superman trying to save Lex Luthor. I’m actually really curious about this storyline, as I think it could have a lot of unexpected depth! Plus, Birthright is my absolute favorite Superman origin story! And Bryan Hitch has so much goodwill from me for his beautiful work on Hawkman.

I do think it’s…a bit questionable to launch two Teen Titans/Titans books at the same time. Especially when I wish they’d let Jeremy Adams do a Superkids book instead…

3 Likes
1 Like