The Superman Substitute Thread

They can change the costume and adjust the powers all they want but we know who they’re referring to. Call them rip-offs, clones, parodies, or homages -we got substitute supermen.

Who’s your favorite? Who do you love or hate? Who do you think is the strongest? Who do you think is the wisest? Who is truly the second best?

I got to say Omni-Man if SHAZAM weren’t on there.

3 Likes

I find the best Superman Substitute is Supermargarine.

Out of these options, my favorite is Captain Marvel. He was such a good ripoff that Superman started ripping him off, too.

4 Likes

Hmmmmm, :face_with_monocle: :thinking:well, if I had to rank them as far as my personal list…. It would be as follows:

Shazam! (My personal favorite out of this list)
Sentry
Homelander
Hyperion
Blue Marvel
Gladiator
Omni-Man
Apollo
Ultra Man
Icon
Plutonian
Mr. Majestic

2 Likes

Shazam! has got to be my favorite of these and would say he may be the wisest and maybe even strongest (based off my limited knowledge lol).
After watching Invincible, I loved Omni-Man (As a villain :sweat_smile:) and I enjoy Homelander in The Boys! I’m interested in learning more about Icon, especially with Milestone back! I do not know too much of the rest except for Ultraman and The Plutonian (Who is aboluelty evil and definitely recommend reading up on him!).

EDIT Nevermind! Favorite is the mysterious, El Dorado!

4 Likes

My personal favorite non-Superman Superman is The Samaritan, from Astro City. Absolutely worth a read.

2 Likes

I’d have to go with Captain Marvel. He was one of the first and for a time was even more popular than the Man of Steel.

2 Likes

#1 CAPTAIN MARVEL
Superman with a different alter ego and an outstanding costume

#2 INVINCIBLE
Having read all 144 issues as they came out, he may have started out as a SuperBOY, but he certainly earned the title SuperMAN by the end.

#3 MON-EL
Clark with just a little bit of a temper and one of my favorite Legionnaires

#4 ALAN MOORE’S SUPREME
A great Silver Age Superman story, with a Rob Liefeld character

#5 SAMARITAN
A Superman that’s a little sad, but he keeps fighting

#6 PLUTONIAN
My pick for the best evil Superman

#7 HUCK
Mark Millar did a great job on Superman Adventures and he scores again here

#8 HYPERION
I’ve greatly enjoyed many of his stories

#9 ULTRMAN
My other evil Superman pick, I’m really enjoying the Crime Syndicate mini series

#10 STUPOR DUCK
The rest are too close to call, so let’s just put Daffy here

5 Likes