The Summer of Events Begins: What's coming to DCU this week

I have a reading order here with Section 5 being the reading order for only post-metal storylines
https://docs.google.com/document/d/17dpDIP4Fi4wGjv37vxxFhnaMZ8BQGmbJ-ic2fX7QkH8/edit

1 Like

Nathan, you are truly a DCU Community Hero, and with all the insane tireless hours you obsess on comic books here, you have more than earned that token of gratitude DCU mailed to you last fall!

Thank you for basically being a volunteer Mod, one of a select group here providing activities and reasons to stop by and participate on DCU Community at no charge whike you pay for membership here.

Kind of like the Newsboys were for the Guardianā€¦

2 Likes

Well, to balance it out,?you are also the notorious Destroyer of Discord Worlds as well, like on Marvel Agents of Shieldā€¦

Thanks Don, it keeps me going. I also wouldnā€™t say volunteer mod because I donā€™t moderate anything. Iā€™m probably most lie the DC Universe Account if it could be less official.

1 Like

Question about Deadman #1-4: is there any substantive difference between this reprint series and the original issues of Strange Adventures they collect? The Strange Adventures issues are also on DCU, so Iā€™m kind of confused.

Thereā€™s a 12 year difference. Itā€™s important to realize deadman didnā€™t change a lot.

@ Dief88,

Deadman
#1 reprints Strange Adventures #205, 206 and a story from House of Mystery #178
#2 reprints Strange Adventures #207, 208 and a story from House of Secrets #85
#3 reprints Strange Adventures #209, 210 and a story from House of Secrets #85
#4 reprints Strange Adventures #211, 212 and a story from Witching Hour #8
#5 reprints Strange Adventures #213 and Brave and the Bold #79
#6 reprints Strange Adventures #214 and 215
#7 reprints Strange Adventures #216 and Brave and the Bold #86

In print, the main difference was that the reprints were on Baxter paper, which was the much better quality paper that DC used for the Direct Only New Teen Titans, Legion and Outsiders series at the time.
It was also recolored.
I include a comparison, so you can see the difference in both texture quality and the colors.
Left is original from Strange Adventures, right is the reprint.

When these reprints were done, as well as the others like it, like New Gods, trade paperbacks werenā€™t a thing, yet. And reprinting the run complete in one series, along with the Brave and Bold issues served as a ā€˜collectionā€™ but in parts.

Note: Currently, Strange Adventures #211-216 arenā€™t available digitally.
And the stories from House of Secrets #85, House of Mystery #178 and Witching Hour #8 also arenā€™t available separately.

1 Like

@LeonardoMyst

Thank you for this excellent write-up! This is exactly the sort of thing I was wondering about. A few more questions, if you happen to know the answers: Are the side-by-side images taken from DCUā€™s files, or from another source? And which versions were used for the Deadman trade paperbacks published by DC in the early to mid 2010s (I believe there were five volumes)? I read the first of these trades at the time, which has a re-inked/re-colored version of Strange Adventures #206, but Iā€™m not sure about the source for the other stories.

Also, is there any rhyme or reason to which House of Mystery/House of Secrets/Witching Hour stories were included in the 1985 series? I donā€™t know anything about those particular issues, other than the fact (Iā€™m pretty sure) that none feature Deadman.

@Dief88

No problem. Iā€™ll answer what I can.

The side by sides were made by me, screenshotting the images on DCU and placing them together.

Not sure which were used in the trade. However, I would wager that the trade would have used the newer coloring and higher quality art from the reprint series. Usually because a lot of trades end up recoloring the original art anyway. So it wouldā€™ve saved them some time.

As for the stories from House of Mystery, House of Secrets and Witching Hourā€¦ they were stories that Neal Adams worked on.
ā€œThe Gameā€ (House of Mystery #178) - writer and artist
ā€œSecond Choiceā€ (House of Secrets #85) - inker
ā€œSecond Choiceā€ part two (House of Secrets #85) - inker
ā€œAbove and Beyond the Call of Dutyā€ (Witching Hour #8) - writer and artist

1 Like

@LeonaroMyst

Ah, well that makes a lot of sense (about the Neal Adams stories)! Thanks for the info. On the whole, do you have a preference between the two versions of Deadman?

@Dief88

I prefer the original colorsā€¦
But I think the inks look better in the reprint.
Kinda wish they kept the colors the same when they recolored them.

And the reprints do help keep everything tidy in one spot.

With New Gods, I prefer the original issues. I just tag the last issue of the reprint series at the end for the new ending.
Iā€™m hoping theyā€™ll do the Dr. Fate reprint series soon.

Iā€™m joining up! I already read No Justice, but Iā€™ll skim through it.

Looking forward to reading Flash #46.

Im thinking Im gonna start getting caught up on Flash. Most people I know seem to really like Williamsonā€™s run.

1 Like

Fantastic Run! Most people like to compare it to the CW flash i tone. Iā€™d like to agree. Flash War is sort of a break from the standard run to a more event focused story.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Yeah the last I read of Flash was Geoff Johns a few years back. So I think itll be nice to return to the characters.

1 Like

I forgot to mention that the entirety of Bombshells: United is over with itā€™s final chapter. MY apologies.