The Sensational Character Find of... Every Year

I thought her origin was that she was the mythical Pandora, meaning the 1936 Pandora is her Earth 2 equivalent.

1 Like

By that logic, Damian is an 80s character because of that one Son of the Demon appearance. I feel the difference is too significant to count. Not sure I want public domain characters on the list anyway; see Merlin.

2 Likes

Fair enough.

1991: This is probably cheating too, but what about Monarch or Waverider?

1 Like

1995: As a fan of the Black Lightning TV show, I’ve got to go Painkiller.

1 Like

2001: Chloe Sullivan

I’m willing to die on this hill.

But if you’re not, then Lionel Luthor.

Smallville was great, is my point.

1 Like

2003: Virgil Swann

Look, it’s slim pickings, and if anyone deserves to be on this list twice it’s Christopher Reeves.

1 Like

2008: Davis Bloome

Wow, I didn’t mean to turn this into a Smallville thread. Goes to show how much more willing they were to take risks at the time, I guess.

And yes, Doomsday existed before, but Bloome is such a different take he might as well be a different character.

1 Like

2010: White Canary

2016:

I actually do have a comic character this time. Raptor. I don’t think he’s gone anywhere since, but if DC were to have tried to hype a character up that way each year, they could have done that with him.

My heart says Detective Chloe Decker from the Lucifer TV show though, and in fairness, that show’s still on the air despite the original network cancelling it, so I’m clearly not the only fan of its original characters.

2018: Sideways

2019: Naomi

For 1946 I might go with Crazy Quilt or Johnny Peril. For 1949 Pow Wow Smith is a possibility. I can’t come up with anything for 1953 or 1954.

1 Like

Dr. Sivana’s first appearance was in 1940.

Perry White’s first appearance was also 1940.

Hmm… the only other significant 1954 character I can identify is Jumbo Jones, and I think Space Cabbie wins that contest by transcending media.

Monarch should never be on any list of “Sensational Character Finds,” LOL. Waverider’s a good pick, though.

I don’t think Painkiller’s a big enough name outside of the Black Lightning TV show itself.

Similarly, I’m hesitant to put any character here who hasn’t seriously permeated the comics or across media. Characters mostly confined to one show don’t belong on this list.

(Also, Lionel Luthor debuted in 1989.)

The White Canary from the comics has absolutely nothing to do with the one seen in the Arrowverse.

Raptor’s pretty cool, but if we’re giving it to ANY 2016 character, shouldn’t it be one who carried their own book? Like, say, Kenan Kong, in NEW SUPER-MAN? You could also make a strong argument for Godspeed, who’s been a major Flash presence for the past 4 years.

The problem is Sideways’ series didn’t actually end up lasting very long, so I’m not sure it’s right to call him a “Sensational Character Find” like Robin’s proven to be. Some other 2018 characters, like Perpetua, Crush, and Upside-Down Man, have proven more enduring.

This one’s fair for now, but we may revisit this depending on how Jo Mullein pans out.

Crazy Quilt is a solid choice. Some great history there. And I think Ohiyesa is the best we’re gonna do for '49.

2 Likes

1953 is a pretty slow year… part of me is tempted to go with Peter Panda, but he’s not even that significant by “Funny Animal” standards. I think I have to pick Angle Man, who at least has a tendency to keep cropping up in Wonder Woman through the decades.

1 Like

For 1936, I’m going with all-star athlete “Pep” Morgan. While mostly forgotten today, he was a consistent fixture throughout MORE FUN and ACTION COMICS between 1936 and 1941, a formative figure while DC was still figuring out its identity.

1 Like

For 1995, I’m really tempted to pick Jesse Custer from Preacher, but that feels like cheating. So I’m gonna go ahead and say Neron.

(But hey, if that Painkiller spinoff series gets picked up, and he comes back into the comics in a big way, we may revisit this.)

1 Like

For 2000, I’m a little torn between Imperiex and Whisper A’Daire… we haven’t really seen a lot of Imperiex since OUR WORLDS AT WAR (the Legion of Super-Heroes cartoon notwithstanding), so I guess I’ll go with Whisper.

2 Likes

For 2001, it’s a tough call between Mia Dearden, Manchester Black, and Hunter Zolomon… but because Zoom’s appearances have slowed significantly since Barry’s return as The Flash, and Manchester Black is, while notable, sporadic in appearances at best, I think Mia’s heavy presence throughout the '00s still gives her the edge, for now. (Plus, she inspired both Thea Queen and Mia Smoak in the Arrowverse.)

2 Likes

Man, I really wish I could put Cassandra Cain at 1999, but there’s no denying Courtney Whitmore’s “star” power. Of course, same goes for The Question in 1967. Rough list for my faves.

3 Likes

Hush

Onomatopoeia

1 Like