The Sandman: Official Series Discussion (Spoilers!)

It really was!

2 Likes

Completely!!!

3 Likes

I’m currently two episodes in. I’m not going to check back in until I’ve seen episode 3, but I want this on the record: DC, I do not trust you to break your tradition of live-action adaptations pretending that Constantine is straight. Honestly, if Constantine were straight, then I’d assume a gender-flipped version would be a lesbian, like Jeryn/Jeri Hogarth, but Constantine is bi, and in the 2014-2015 show, he was depicted as straight, which would be fixed in DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, but still, I’m worried about this scene:

Now, I’m really hoping this is Hector and Lyta Hall, but I’m worried that it’s the fantasy that the Sandman put Rachel into, and that’s a male Rachel. I would be assuming that it was Hector and Lyta, but Jenna Coleman is 5’1", and Razane Jammal is 5’7", so without knowing how tall the other person is, it seems pretty likely that the shorter one is, in fact, an imaginary Constantine, and the taller one is a male Rachel. I thought you had improved, DC, and I’ll try to give you the benefit of the doubt on this one, there’s still a chance the actor who plays Hector is freakishly tall, so I’m giving you a 60-65% chance that it is, in fact, the Halls. Another horrible thing is that as I was writing this I saw that @SuperBrainiac wrote

, which stirred up a bunch of angry feelings about the dumbest choice in television history since Chris Chibnall was made showrunner of Doctor Who, which reminded me that DC has a perverse incentive to continue pretending that Constantine is straight. What a messed-up planet.

2 Likes

Joanna Constantine is definitely bisexual. And thats all i’m gonna say about that.

7 Likes

agreed

4 Likes

For those who have read the comics (or are currently reading it for the August Book Club), how do you feel like it holds up to the source material? Do you like the updates/changes that were made to the show?

Also, for those who might be interested, there is a live Sandman Q&A with Neil Gaiman on Twitter, tonight at 5pm PT! Join up and get an inside look at the making of the show!

4 Likes

Question: Is it necessary to know anything about the Sandman comics in order to enjoy the series?

2 Likes

Nope! Neil Gaiman himself has said that you don’t need to have read any of the series to appreciate the show. There are definitely references to the comic, and maybe a few scenes that might need some explaining, but overall I’d say it can be enjoyed regardless!

4 Likes

Episode 4 was spectacular!! Sandman beating the devil by saying Hope beats anti-life makes me think of Superman. Not sure if it’s an intentional reference or not but still neat!

5 Likes

I loved that scene SO MUCH.

4 Likes

The “fight” was too D&D for my liking. Nothing being able to beat hope is damn powerful though.

2 Likes

Happy DCversary, @Jitsu!

I have a couple episodes left. Enjoying the world building and mythology of it all. Also enjoying the cinematic production values. I’ve never read the comic, but have no trouble following along.

Some of it is a bit on the dark side for my own personal taste, but it’s intriguing nonetheless, different from any other show I’ve watched recently.

1 Like

I’m two episodes into the series, and i really like it. It reminds me of a cross between Jim Hensen’s Labrynth, the works of stephen King, the first Matrix film, and Marvel Studios’ Doctor Strange.

I also wanted to mention a thought that occurred to me with regards to the present-day version of Jenna Coleman’s Johanna Constantine that we briefly see in Episode 2.

Neil Gaiman has said that she’s not a genderbent version of John, and I agree; instead, I think she’s an Expy along the lines of the cast of Watchmen or, from Star Trek, Kira Nerys and Tom Paris.

2 Likes

And his exit as well. That’s always been one of my favorite moment in comics, his response to Lucifer asking why they should let him leave.

3 Likes

She is definitely a Constantine, though.

3 Likes

I am still, STILL bugged about episode one, where Morpheus basically rolled up to the home(s) of a dysfunctional family and then shot their dog. So to speak.

1 Like

Yes, 100%! Really loved that line, and being able to see Lucifer’s face as he said it was pretty fantastic.

3 Likes

I might have cried at this scene. My sister saw me watching something on my computer and crying, and she tried to see if I was okay. I had to tell her to just go away. Once the episode ended I explained it.

It was sort of funny afterwards. But that was a very sad moment in the show.

Though, I did like how Morpheus tried to fix it by giving them the egg. It doesn’t fix everything, but it is a nice gesture. And, Gregory was a nice foreshadow of Nightmares being able to become Dreams. A lesson Morpheus had to learn this season.

4 Likes

I don’t understand the intent of this comment.

I believe that the present-day version of Johanna is an Expy of John because she has a similar background to him and fills the same role in Dream’s story, but is simultaneously a separate and distinct character, in the same way that Tom Paris and Kira Nerys have similar backgrounds to the characters of Nick Locarno and Ro Laren, respectively, but are distinct and separate characters in their own right.

1 Like

I’m just saying she’s definitely acting like a member of the family. Definitely the kind of person who will give you a wink and walk off into the fog, with the Ace of Winchesters hidden neatly under her coat and a buyer waiting.

3 Likes