:superman: 📺 The Ruby-Spears Superman 35th Anniversary Appreciation Thread 📺 :superman:

Yeah, the fact that the Kents are alive and well in the series was one of the first major breaks from old school continuity. The episode where Johnathan actually helps Clark frustrate Lex Luthor’s plan to expose Superman’s Identity was probably my favorite part of the series.

1 Like

It’s such an interesting series, when you think about it. While still retaining some of the standard Saturday morning tropes, it also had some subtle maturity in some parts. I like to think of it as the bridge between the age of the Superfriends and what was to come with Batman the Animated Series. It’s a shame it’s not more widely recognized, though.

1 Like

I have the DVD’s, but 12 out of 13 episodes are on Tubi.

1 Like

I am curious, does anyone know why that 13th is not on there. Is there something that comes off bad now in it or something?

1 Like

Is this the one that’s missing? Tubi jumps from episode 1 to episode 3…

As scientists try to decide which of a pair of aliens is a cop and which his prisoner, the bad guy hides eggs which will destroy the Earth in “Fugitive From Space.” Ma Kent undertakes a shopping trip with baby Clark in “The Supermarket.”

1 Like

I’ve got the series on DVD as well. I remember really enjoying it, but it’s been a while since I last watched. I’ll have to watch it again. Thanks for the idea!

2 Likes

Giving this one a bump, in honor of the show’s 35th anniversary this year.

Have you seen this highly-enjoyable, yet very underrated, gem in the DC animation catalog?

Will the series get an HD remaster in commemoration of its 35th anniversary, as well as to tie into Superman’s 85th anniversary?

Chat about this :superman:uper TV show below!

2 Likes

Just looked up my previous post in this thread from 2019. I said I’d revisit this show, because I only remember it from my childhood. I’ve watched the whole thing since. Aesthetically, this how I prefer super hero cartoons. Vanilla art where everything looks the way it should be, vs the more stylized renditions of, say the DCAU or Justice League Action. This is not to knock those shows. Not all; I think they’re fantastic. I just tend to gravitate more towards the (relatively) more realistic designs of a cartoon like Ruby Spears Superman or even Super Friends for that matter. Supes here feels like the John Byrne version come to life on screen, and so does Lex. As @Vroom suggested, I would love to see this show remastered in HD.

2 Likes

Funny you mention JLA, as I was watching it this morning (specifically, episode 16 “Luthor in Paradise”). Fun show, for sure.

Right? I’d also like to see The New Adventures of Superman get an HD remaster.

The Adventures of Batman makes its HD debut in February, and Aquaman made its HD debut in 2018, so that leaves The New Adventures of Superman as the only major remaining Filmation DC series yet to get an HD upgrade.

“What about The New Adventures of Batman?”

Do you really want Bat-Mite in HD? Come on, now. :wink:

2 Likes

Super-Friends had gone off the air three years earlier (after 12 long years) but this show seemed to be still very stuck in the Super Friends story-telling and animation corral, so I was not surprised or depressed to see it leave after the one season

1 Like

Where is Justice League Action playing?

1 Like

I’ve seen a few eps as an adult, but still so surprised that I never heard of this as a kid!

1 Like

The main series isn’t streaming anywhere right now, AFAIK. Hulu did have it, but that was a while ago. ATM, Justice League Action appears to only be available for purchase (worth it, though).

Meanwhile, the JLA shorts are currently available on the Cartoon Network app.

Likewise.

When I was little, I read assorted books about TV shows of the past and I never came across the Ruby-Spears Superman (or “Superman” as it was mostly known) in those books.

I first learned of the RS show when I was in my late teens. A blurb in Wizard if memory serves, which had me thinking “Huh. I’ve never heard of an '80s Superman cartoon series, just the Filmation and DCAU shows.”

The things one could (and did) learn from Wizard. Bless your fine publication, Gareb Shamus!

1 Like