The Review Crew: Meta Madhouse March Selection

As you have probably heard, March is:

In recognition of this event, the first monthly reading for “The Review Crew” is

Salvation Run (2007) 1-7
Writers: Bill Willingham and Lilah Sturges
Artists: Sean Chen, Walden Wong, Joe Bennett, and Belardino Brabo

Premise: DC comics characters are sent off-world where alliances are formed and villain takes on villain in a fight for dominance on the new world of “Salvation” they have been placed on.

Hmmm, villains fighting villains sounds very familiar right? How very META :wink:

The breakdown of the monthly read is as followed:

Week 1

This runs from 2020-03-01T05:00:00Z2020-03-07T05:00:00Z and during this week you have ONE task - READ THE ASSIGNED MATERIAL. Simple, right?

Week 2

This lasts from 2020-03-08T05:00:00Z2020-03-14T04:00:00Z and this week you should write your review. Remember to follow the basic principle of being constructive in your review. Don’t be outright rude about a writer or artist, but feel free to reference other materials they have made and establish why you don’t necessarily like their particular style. In other words, support your stance with some information. Also remember that all reviews should include a TITLE, RATING, and YOUR OWN FEELINGS OF THE MATERIAL. The rating and feelings are all your own. Wanna call your rating wonder points, batarangs, DC chips, or whatever go ahead with your bad self. This is your place to be creative and express yourself.

Week 3

This part of the monthly reading lasts from 2020-03-15T04:00:00Z2020-03-21T04:00:00Z and includes discussion. Yes, we discuss each other’s viewpoints on the reviews we post during the monthly review. This is the first month, so we are going to see how this works out. Adjustments may have to be made, but for now you will read anyone else’s review and agree or disagree with their points. Important rule: BE CIVILIZED. Provide information on why you feel differently, try to substantiate your own reason for feeling the way you do with your own facts about how you interpreted the material. I will state again in bold again: BE CIVILIZED. If at any time you attack another member of “The Review Crew” when you are a member, this will not be taken lightly and could result in immediate removal from the group. We all love comic books here and this discussion is about how we felt about the same material. We are all not going to have the same experience with the same material, so be respectful, k? Thanks!

This idea of RESPECT extends to the talent as well. You may feel X writer is garbage, but there is a better way to say it than that. Be constructive and state, “I did not like X writer previously due to (insert titles) which wasn’t my cup of tea due to (insert criticism like language, bad characterization of a character you love, etc.).” Again the important thing is to always back up what you are saying with your own reasoning for that stance. No,“I hate this writer/artist/character” without a reason. It’s simple right? k, thanks!

Week 4

This part goes from 2020-03-22T04:00:00Z2020-03-31T04:00:00Z and is about wrapping up the discussion (with the same rules applying as in week 3) and also will be when the crew decides what the next month’s reading will be. This month’s reading was selected by the club creator, but in the future most months will be decided by the crew. There will be some months where the club creator will link up to an upcoming event for the community, but these will occur only from time to time. From Sunday to Wednesday, please post a suggested reading for the next month’s reading. These suggested reading will go into a poll. This poll will go live on Wednesday of that week and last until the end of the month. Late on the last day, the club creator (@PrincessAmethyst) will announce the winner of the poll and what the next months selection for reading will be. Rinse and repeat pretty much every month.

Any aspect of “The Review Crew” is subject to change to make it a better overall experience for all involved. So if you have input after the first month, feel free to message me (@PrincessAmethyst) with any and all feedback. Remember that the DC Guidelines are always in effect for any postings, discussions, etc.

I’m looking forward to seeing everyone’s reviews, thoughts, and discussions regarding “Salvation Run.” Let the MADness begin!

3 Likes