The Return of DC’s Greatest Bromance: BLUE AND GOLD

Batman and Robin might get all the attention, but at DC Comics, another iconic pair of heroes are “the Dynamic Duo” for many fans. We’re talking about Blue Beetle and Booster Gold. Back in the late ’80s, the two ended up as members of the Justice League International. The comic had a comedic tone, and the Blue and Gold team constantly got into wacky adventures. Ones that usually had them bent over laughing at the end.

Now, after many decades, Beetle and Booster are getting their own comic book together at last. Dan Jurgens, the man responsible for creating Booster Gold back in the day, is at the helm. Ryan Sook (Legion of Super-Heroes) is the series’ artist. Along with an exclusive preview of the first issue’s first five pages, we have an interview with series writer Jurgens on the iconic pair’s long history and fresh adventures.

In the July-debuting eight-part limited series, Booster Gold is desperate to regain the spotlight. So he looks to attract the public’s (and Justice League’s) attention the same way any washed-up, second-rate hero would: through social media. The not-so-tech-savvy hero from the 25th century enlists the help of his best friend, Blue Beetle, who possesses both the money and the brains to help his old pal navigate the scary world of internet influencers.

To read about this upcoming 8-part series as well as an interview with Dan Jurgens, head over to Nerdist!

Are you ready for this bromance to return? Let us know in the comments! :point_down:

13 Likes

I’m ready for wacky adventures that set the DCU on its ear!

4 Likes

An interview with Dan Jurgens? Very cool. He’s awesome.

sees the interview is at The Nerdist

Well, so much for that. Anyone care to summarize the interview?

Blue and Gold looks like a very fun mini. You can never go wrong with Booster Gold.

4 Likes

I love a good Bromance

3 Likes

Two of my favorites (both characters and writer/artist)

3 Likes

Dan Jurgens is a consummate storyteller. When John Byrne summarily left the Superman franchise in the late '80s, Dan swooped in like a certain Kryptonian and saved the day. His artistic and writing skills (along with other outstanding talents) gave us the best decade of Superman stories in the character’s long history.
I hope this mini-series leads to more frequent, and longer work, for Dan at DC. I’m not sure why he wasn’t a major cog in the Infinite Frontier launch, but this man knows how to produce quality comic books.

4 Likes

Really enjoyed his recent run on Nightwing!

2 Likes

yayyyy but…i’m jealous for Skeets

4 Likes

I’m looking forward to Blue And Gold! IIRC, a B&G series has been rumored to be in the works since the JLI days.

I’m actually an old school Booster Gold fan, as I bought Booster Gold #1 off of a spinner rack back in 1985. That issue was one of my earliest #1 issues. I still remember when: 1) Booster (occasionally) wore a cape and 2) when the center of his star emblem was colored gold rather than blue.

And… yes, Skeets!

4 Likes

Looking forward to this. Booster and Beetle have always been some of my favorites.

3 Likes

Agreed in every way.

Dan Jurgens is my favorite modern Superman writer, as well as one of my favorite writers in general.

2 Likes

i’m ready for a bromance

1 Like

I always thought that Blue Bettle was kinda cute tho,

2 Likes

In all reality, Booster should have been the one to say “life is good, but it can be better” in WW84.
Especially because he’s already done something stupid with an ancient relic:

2 Likes

Have you read The Flash #769? It’s the second issue of the Infinite Frontier-era of the series, and features Gold Beetle.

She’s cute, fun and spunky. I hope she pops up more, be it in The Flash or other titles. Definitely a character with a great deal of potential for future tales.

1 Like

I wanna read it tho,
is it a really good issue

1 Like

Batman does not have a robin right now, he ran away from home (literally) =(. this should be a wacky wonder if we will Finally learn who rip hunters mother is in this series.

1 Like

I can’t wait~!

1 Like