The Recommendation Thread

Welcome to the recommendation thread!
Read a good comic and it makes you think of a community member and you just have to share it? This is the thread for that!
Watch a good DC movie/show/etc. and just really want to get the word about it around? This is the thread for that!

I checked right before I made this, but I may have have missed if a thread like this already exists, so my bad if that’s true. If such a thread has already been done, point me in it’s direction, and I’ll go ahead and ask if the mods could close this one down and move it :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

To start it off, what inspired the thread: @stefanie.m, I was going through the thread for the DC fan art club’s Etrigan challenge and was reminded of a brave and the Bold story I enjoyed that I wanted to share with you in the chance you haven’t read it.

Brave and Bold (2007) #32 featuring Etrigan and Aquaman

8 Likes

I have not! Thanks for sharing, I really liked the art and the idea of these 2 “fire and water” protecting the earth. Portrayed Etrigan as a hero is always a win in my book :grin:

Also he looks so young! Thank you!

7 Likes

Thank You @SuperBlueGrodd, I’ve wondered why there wasn’t a thread like this, and maybe there is, but I’ve missed it, seeing as how you haven’t found one either, I’ll take that to mean it doesn’t exist. Till now! There have been several books over time I’ve wanted to share and discuss with others, outside of the club discussions. Now we have a place to congregate. :smile:

6 Likes

That was included in the Aquaman Giant #3, I think! Love Saiz art! That JMS Brave and the Bold run also had the really cool following issue, #33, which features Wonder Woman and Zatanna taking Barbara Gordon out for a night on the town! It kind of dovetails with one of my very favorite issues of all time, The Batman Chronicles #5, Oracle Year One, which really deals with the trauma of the Killing Joke from Babs’ perspective, which is sorely lacking from TKJ.

6 Likes

This is a super cool idea @SuperBlueGrodd! :smiley:

6 Likes

There are a few threads like What Are Your DC Must Read Stories but this one seems more general with including TV shows/Movies and such.

To keep with the threads purpose I will always recommend reading Batman: Knightfall. I think the breaking of the Bat is one of the most important moments in comics. I still have Dick and Jason as bigger favorites but it really made me appreciate Tim Drake as well.

6 Likes

I know that there were a couple others, but they seemed more like “where to begin” type threads for comic new comers, and like you pointed out, this is more general. Also, I think it’s great you recommended Kightfall. I just started rereading that last night! Lol.

6 Likes

Great thread idea. I like general threads like this. Topic is broad enough to adhere to while going in any number of directions.

Recommendation? In recent months, I read Adventures of Superman by Jose-Luis Garcia Lopez Vol. 1. A collected volume of tales drawn by the legendary artist from the late seventies & very early eighties. The stories are short & light. It’s a great treat seeing Lopez’s Superman in action though. For the longest time, I was used to seeing his art on promotional DC material; it’s iconic. However, seeing his rendition of Superman in action, and how dynamic his panels are was a joy to behold. Highly recommended.

6 Likes

I agree, and his works is so ubiquitous in the 80’s. It wasn’t until I was older, that I realized my early memories of DC Characters, on my childhood merchandise, were actually his art! He was responsible for the DC Comics Style Guide.

6 Likes

How about The Kitchen, little mini series from Vertigo with lovely art and a dark story line.

6 Likes

That’s a good suggestion. I haven’t read it; actually, I was surprised, when the movie came out, to discover it was a Vertigo title! It’s been on my radar, thanks for reminding me. :smile:

6 Likes

No idea it was a movie, thanks, going to have to check that out. Although I just googled it and im not sure how I feel about Mccarthy playing Kathy. Is it like the losers? Where the comic is good but the movie version is not even close?

6 Likes

This thread is tragically underused! As for a recommendation, I’d recommend Batman/Superman: World’s Finest by Mark Waid to @biff_pow.

• The Doom Patrol are supporting characters.

• Dick Grayson is Robin.

6 Likes

SOLD

thank you!

5 Likes

I’d recommend Batman: Full Circle to @MatthewHecht, it’s a rad one shot where Batman and robin take down Joe Chill’s son after he’s taking up the reaper persona from Batman Year Two, it’s got really nice art and it’s a good continuation to Batman year two.

7 Likes

bump

I recommend Webtooon’s Red Hood: Outlaws to @Detective7.

5 Likes

I think @basicallytimdrake and @TheBatgirlofNML would like War Games (until the end)

7 Likes

@bookwormfitzpatrick.91230 would love Spectre from 2001-2003!

6 Likes

For @Vroom: Victorian Undead

6 Likes