The Psychology Of Supervillians Club..March 2020 - Vandal Savage

I’ve read the Green Lantern #10, All Star Comics #65 and The Flash #137, concentrating on Savage and his actions. First, Green Lantern #10 really holds up. That is just a great story and Savage’s debut is a revelation. Since this is a visual medium we can actually delve into someone’s psyche in part by how they look. Even in his first appearance in a suit, riding a cab he is a hulking menace.

There’s no overt threat, but he is threatening. His heavy brow, thick hair and nearly Vulcan-like ears resemble a gargoyle or Chinese demon mask. Tell me you don’t see the resemblance?

The second point that strikes me is from his origin story. This will probably come into play later in our discussion. As a solo leader, he builds pyramids, turns Rome from a Republic into a dictatorship after conquering the Gauls and Brits, and then sweeps it all away as Ghengis Khan. But, then he goes behind the scenes and advises Napoleon at Waterloo and the Spanish against Drake. Spoiler alert, he looses both times.

Finally, his plot. He isn’t rpping off a bank, a trying to takeover the criminal underworld, he plots to take power from inside the US government. He does it cleverly and nearly gets Green Lantern to act as his pawn. That’s impressive.

3 Likes