The Psychology Of Supervillains Club - December 2020 - Mr. Freeze

I was sort of kidding, but I am along for the ride.

1 Like

Birds of Prey (2011) 18-20 is more of Freeze’s retribution driven motivation(s).

Working on Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight 192-196. Kind of liking this Batman, but not really digging the art.

1 Like

Mr Freeze…The Schizoid Man

So looking across various incarnations of Mr. Freeze he certainly shows elements of both OCD and narcissistic personality disorder (NPD). However, when looking deeper into Victor Fries, it seems to me that he really suffers from Schizoid Personality Disorder.

Diagnostic Criteria for Schizoid Personality Disorder as Outlined in DSM V
  1. Detachment from social relationships with a restricted range of expression of emotions when they are in interpersonal settings. These begin in early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, such as four of the following:
    1. Neither desires nor enjoys close relationships
    2. Chooses solitary activities
    3. None or little interest in having sexual experiences
    4. Takes pleasure in few activities
    5. Lacks close friends or confidants
    6. Appears indifferent to praise or criticism
    7. Shows emotional coldness, detachment, or flattened affectivity

Victor pretty much fills most of these traits. Certainly he clearly demonstrates items 2-7 of the above.

In certain circumstances we are not even sure Nora is actually his wife. He is indifferent to praise or criticism, with the added item that he and only he, knows what is best. (Which is an element of NPD.) Regardless of his actual relationship with Nora, “curing” her is his obsession. Even in the one case where he has revived her, Nora remarks that he still is obsessed with controlling her. (Detective 1015) (Elements of OCD). Also, we see in Legends of the Dark Knight, even recreates his “Nora”, abducting a figure skater and freezing her. He also turns to complete emotional coldness when he finds Tilde isn’t interested in him, only immortality. (Batman 308).

I am led to the belief that his actions of obsession and revenge are manifestations of his underlying Schizoid disorder. He isn’t really interested in close relationships, merely the affectation of a close relationship with “Nora”. But, as wee see in a few instances he has no previous relationship with “Nora”. He doesn’t have a relationship with “Nora”, but with an object. While we don’t see a lot of sex in comics, as a general rule. Victor displays barely any signs of physical affection towards Nora (Be she actually Nora or a substitute “Nora”.

His OCD and NPD traits are, at best, covers for his underlying Schizoid disorder. A means to hide is underlying psychological issues.

As such, Victor is not a tragic figure, driven over the edge by unfortunate circumstances. He is actually the text book definition of The Schizoid Man.

Did you read this yet? Does it add or subtract to your analysis?

I found it added to my analysis. In fact the point

that he takes a figure skater who looks like Nora then freezes her is taken directly from 191

Just finished Legends of the Dark Knight 192-196 “Snow”. As an origin for Mr Freeze, very tightly told. This origin leans more into the ship and the man you meet before the accident and how it plays out has its own angle, which works given the decisions Victor was making.

I didn’t like the art at all. Batman was allegedly early in his career for this telling and how he was drawn implied (inferred?) something older. The suit seems a weird homage to the Batman '66, but that could be me; “the audience is always right”, says Scott M. Gimple.

This was some good Batman and I liked the Holmesian irregulars. To further the place in the history, the arc concludes with Bruce considering a visit to the circus.

@DeSade-acolyte If you get a chance to read it, am curious if this version is more or less pathetic than BTAS’.

1 Like

Read B:LotDK 192-196 this morning.
It does move him more into Schizophrenia than Schizoid. But, again, he still operates under the “it’s not my fault, it’s everybody else.” Abdicating all personal responsibility.

He doesn’t check the parameters of the machine before using it. PUUH-LEEEZ!! That’s on him. It’s standard practice.

If he’s working under DOD funding, of course they are looking to use it for military purposes and as the head of the project, he knew this and just willfully ignored the reality of it. (Maybe I’m aware of this aspect because I know people and have worked with DOD.)

We still see his desire for control even in the short exchange with Nora about having a child, that it not only be a boy, something his DNA is in control of, but, also having already named the kid.

Checking her out of thee hospital because he is the only one who can save her.

If one wants to say “It’s not his fault as he has had a full blown schizophrenic breakdown, so he is not responsible for his actions.” I can see the argument, but, given so many specific actions, I think he is well aware of what he is doing. Combine that with the willful disregard for its application because it was DOD funded, I think he is more aware and in control of what he is doing, rather than this being a complete psychotic break.

I’d say that in this version he is slightly more pathetic that the BTAS version, because once things go sideways and he kills his wife, through his own negligence. He is now under the delusion that his wife is telling him what must be done. A further abdication of responsibility. Same hell, different scenery.

That’s my $0.03.

I wasn’t all that impressed by the artwork either. It was “meh”. And yes, it is a very Batman’66 costume. No doubt about it, which seems like an odd choice for something so early in his career.