The Pros and Cons Of Wearing A Cape

Only con to wearing a cape is you’re not indestructable. But for some heroes, that’s non applicable.

1 Like

… and now I can’t help but feel a little sad about not owning a doing-the-dishes-cape. I realize I am missing something in my life.

4 Likes

I am vengeance, I am bubbles. I am the Palmolive!

5 Likes

It’s a Chef’s Apron turned around I bet…

3 Likes

Pros:
-Stealth. The cape can be used to break up the distinctive human silhouette.
-Protection. The cape can be made from protective material. Can also be used to shield others.
-Weapon. Weighted tips could potentially be used as surprise weapons.
-Sneak attacks. When used correctly, the cape could be used to conceal attacks from opponents. I remember that Batman did something like this in The Batman vs Dracula movie.
-Dramatic effect.
-Glider cape/impromptu parachute. Made famous by the Nolan movies and used by many Batman sources since then, but the concept predates those movies.

Cons:
-Potential handhold during combat.
-Could become caught or stuck at inopportune times (anybody else remember how Dollar Bill died?).
-Large capes are a significant hindrance underwater.

8 Likes

You had what I was gonna say and more- you’re obviously a cape expert!

2 Likes

Capes add that awesome posting great stealth and overall signs of a hero. Also for some nice combat techniques.

Disadvantages may be it getting caught if grabbed. But use it to your advantage. Like Deathstroke. He shows off his damaged eye even with his helmet letting people know it it a weak spot but trained himself to make it stronger than his strong spots. That’s what you do with a cape to get rid of the disadvantages. (Detachable does help though.)

1 Like

As far as DC capes go, nobody outcapes Batman. If you have a cape that can compete with that go ahead. Otherwise you might want to stay on the porch

There is some dude with an Image problem who has an impressive cape called Al, but we won’t spawn any conversations about him.

2 Likes

For the simple fact that I literally watched this movie three days ago, I’d like to point out that the true first appearance of Batman’s glider cape in live action was in Batman Returns. After getting double-teamed by Penguin and Catwoman, he makes his escape by gliding over the crowds of people who had gathered for the tree-lighting ceremony.

1 Like

Capes are powerful tools. In addition to advantages above, the also can be aerodynamically useful to help stability during flight.

Length should be anywhere from top of tailbone to mid calf. Anything below mid calf and you run the risk of it interfering with running, kicking, any substantial leg movements.

I’ve always disliked the massive or ground touching Batman capes. They can visually look cool, but would be VERY impractical.

2 Likes

Yeah well, unlike Dina-Guy, Batman’s cape is detachable. I think that should be a given for hero capes. So MORE CAPES!

3 Likes

It really is Edna’s fault those heroes died in Incredibles. It should have just ripped the cape off.

3 Likes

I agree that Batman I’d peak cape, but…

There are three characters with magic capes that come close:

Ragman

The Spectre

Raven

6 Likes

+1 for Raven’s Cape

5 Likes

Yeah, Raven’s Cloak is awesome.
Is it a cloak or a cape?

6 Likes

Good Question. Capes seem to be shorter and have no hood. See below.

The Difference between Cape and Cloaks:

CLOAK – is long, often has a hood, sometimes has side pockets, is designed to be able to close all the way around the wearer, and was traditionally used for warmth. In Medieval and Renaissance times, the wealthy and royals, wore cloaks made of a variety of fine fabrics such as silk and velvet to denote their wealth and status.

CAPE – is often shorter, and while some capes will include enough fabric to wrap all the way around the body, most are narrower and will not close as completely as cloaks. In most cases, there is no hood and they often serve as more of an accessory. In Medieval and Renaissance times, short fur or fine fabric capes were worn in court and by the wealthy to enhance their luxurious attire.

3 Likes

So who’s got the best cape in the DCU. From a form, practicality and visual standpoint?

Power Girl: short version

Superman: original knee length version

Spectre: full cape

The Spectre

Batman: the Jim Lee “uber cape”

• Power Girl - short version
  • Superman - original knee length version
  • Spectre - full cape
  • Batman - the Jim Lee “uber cape”

0 voters

3 Likes

I gotta go with PG. it isn’t bulky or long enough to interfere with movement and gives her a nice visual from virtually any angle.

3 Likes

I quite enjoy Powergirl’s… cape. yep.

4 Likes

Y’all are forgetting batman unrealistically cool cape in the long Halloween

4 Likes