The perfect DCU Batman 80th read

On Batman’s 80th (March 30th) I plan to read one classic batman volume. Which volume should I read that’s on DCU.

Batman: Year One?
Batman: Hush?

You get the idea. What is the definitive best batman volume on DCU?

2 Likes

Bear in mind I’m enormously biased in making this recommendation, but I’d absolutely go with Hush. It’s the quintessential modern Batman classic.

2 Likes

Hard to pick. but I am reading Batman: Hush this week!
:smiley:

1 Like

Why not go for a historical ride? Say Batman (1940) 1-5, 232, 243, 244, maybe a random issue or two for each decade and then Death of the Family-- or as much of it as you have available. Then again, Hush does hit all the high points if you want a more focus celebration.

1 Like

Hmm. Tough choices

It seems I keep coming back to this–but, Batman: Year One is the best Batman story of all-time.

1 Like

Year One and HUSH are incredible. The Long Halloween trilogy is a must read as well.

3 Likes

Batman: Black & White. It’s a series of excellent, original, very stylish short stories all about Batman.

2 Likes

@HCQ
…I have not read that.
I am thoroughly intrigued.

1 Like

@HCQ A quality pick. Batman: Black and White is great.

I wouldn’t advise anyone to read the B&W issues that are on DCU right now as the selection is random issues from different volumes of BBaW. It could get confusing if you don’t know which material belongs to which series. Hopefully that selection will be rectified soon.

There are free chapters of Batman: Black and White on Comixology though and all four trades are available at hoopla.

1 Like

Isn’t Black and White the first comic Bendis ever wrote for DC. (Before Daredevil)

One lesser talked about arc on here, but I think is some great “vintage” Batman. Is Detective Comics #471-4576. May not be Hush but I really like those issues.

3 Likes

Whatever happened to the caped crusader is in here for a reason folks

3 Likes

I’m a big fan of the early part of Morrison’s run (from Batman & Son thru RIP) though last I checked DCU is missing some key issues (namely the Black Glove arc)

I enjoyed Batman: Ego.

1 Like

Year One for sure.

1 Like

Not a volume, but I recommend Batman #156 Robin Dies at Dawn.