The Obscurity of DC Club Presents: Obscure Book Club, Week 6 (Sunday March 13 - Saturday March 19) -- TERRA OBSCURA!

Hello @ObscurityofDCClub and the rest of the DC Community! Welcome to the fourth week of Obscurity of DC’s Obscure Book Club! The next series we’ll be focusing on is…

TERRA OBSCURA!!!
AGE SUGGESTION: 15+

Number of Issues: 6

In this series, a giant wave of death and destruction threatens to consume the whole world. It becomes the duty of the defunct S.M.A.S.H. agency to stop this catastrophic conundrum, using both science and magic alike. But don’t think there’s no action, because every story is filled with amazing fights, fires, and fatalities!

In this series, we will focus on several characters, such as The Magnet, Miss Masque, Fighting Spirit, Tom Strange, The Green Ghost, Scarab, The Terror, Liberator, Lone Eagle, and, my favorite, Adam the Ape.

Now that all that’s said, here are some discussion questions:

1. How do you think The Reaper managed to commit crime in Invertica City, when nobody else could?
  2. Why do you think The Terror chose his name considering he’s a hero?
  3. Why do you think the planet was named Terra Obscura?
  4. Why do you think the Null Zone scraps the science heroes’ powers, but not anyone else’s?
  5. On page 3 of issue 3, we see a Swastika. As I’m sure you all know, this was used as an anti-Semitic symbol ever since the Nazis started the Holocaust. What are your opinions on that symbol being used in a comic? Do you think it represents something else in the comic? Explain.

I hope you all enjoy!

Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics? Do you like pineapple on pizza? If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!

5 Likes
  1. Maybe The Reaper’s powers are immune to the Invertica system.
  2. I’m guessing The Terror wants to strike terror into the hearts of villains.
  3. Terra Obscura means forgotten or unknown earth, so this is a world that is not well known.
  4. The null zone is basically expanding the power of magic, so heroes with science based powers will lose them.
  5. The Swastika is on a flag on the wall, so maybe there is still Nazi Germany on this world?

This was an interesting series. I would enjoy reading further adventures set on this world.

3 Likes

I’m glad you enjoyed it! There’s a second series on it that I might add to the list of comics to read for the club if you guys want it!

3 Likes

You are helping me to read more comics each week. :grinning:

3 Likes

lol anytime

3 Likes

My answers to my own questions:

1. It might have been his first crime in Invertica City, even if he was a criminal in other places.
  2. He looks freaking horrifying! And he probably wants to scare criminals, like @scoop001 said.
  3. I think it might be because it’s never been visited by A-List or even B or C-List DC characters.
  4. I think it was made to destroy all heroes, but, since magic can’t be predicted or explained, it didn’t work on the magical entities.
  5. I personally hate that the symbol is used in any media nowadays. Obviously it’s important for people to learn about, but to put it in a comic made for 12-year-olds just doesn’t sit right for me. I also don’t believe there was any reason for it being in the comic, which just makes it worse in my opinion.

Mini-rant over. Back to you guys!

4 Likes

This is a great series.

1. He smarter than the average bear.
  2. To put fear in the hearts of criminals.
  3. Do to the general publics lack of knowledge concerning the characters.
  4. Science works on Science that it understands.
  5. Swastika bad, as to why perhaps they are flags of defeated enemies, as I notice a Japanese and perhaps Islamic one as well.
2 Likes