The Obscurity of DC Club Presents: Obscure Book Club, Week 15 (Sunday, May 15 - Saturday, May 21) -- TEEN LANTERN!

Why hello there, @ObscurityofDCClub and other members of the DC Community! Welcome to Week 15 of Obscurity of DC’s Obscure Book Club! This week, we’ll be focusing on…

7e4e59c81e51529520e2a5654916ef3f
TEEN LANTERN!
AGE SUGGESTION: 12+

Series we’ll read: Green Lantern (2021) – Please only read issues 1-6 and the annual.

Number of Issues: 7

Description from dccomics.com: As this new Green Lantern series begins, the newly formed United Planets and the Guardians of the Universe hold an intergalactic summit to decide who can best serve and protect the cosmos from danger. With the majority of Green Lanterns called back to Oa, John Stewart arrives alongside Teen Lantern Keli Quintela, whose powerful gauntlet could be one of the most powerful and unstable weapons in the universe. With the entire landscape of the universe in flux, is this the end of the Green Lantern Corps…or a new beginning?

Now that that’s over with, here are some discussion questions:

1. Keli is technically a Green Lantern. However, unlike every other Green Lantern (besides Alan Scott), she has no connection to the Central Power Battery. How do you think Keli has all of her abilities without being linked to the same source of power as everyone else?
  2. Did you enjoy Keli’s childish personality? Why or why not?
  3. Did you like that the writer (Geoffrey Thorne) wrote some of Keli’s dialogue in Spanish? Why or why not?
  4. Why do you think Keli is left behind so often by the other members of the Green Lantern corps?
  5. What effects do you think Simon Baz’s death will have on Keli? Explain.

Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics? Do you like pineapple on pizza? If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!

2 Likes
  1. My theory is that the gauntlet reflects its user. Since Keli is strong-hearted, impulsive, and rogue, so is the gauntlet. Since the gauntlet is rogue, it doesn’t need the battery to survive or power Keli.
  2. I loved Keli’s childishness. It caused a lot of funny moments, and kinda reminded me of myself.
  3. I liked it when the Spanish was sprinkled in. Towards the end, when almost all of her dialogue was Spanish, it got kinda confusing for me.
  4. Originally, I thought it had to do with how young Keli is. While I do think that’s the case with the Earth lanterns, I think everyone else fears how powerful Keli is.
  5. We already know Keli has PTSD, but I think finding out he’s alive will help her. That being said, I think she’ll start to see things more seriously now that she understands the consequences of her actions.
1 Like

Gonna be catching-up on this really soon. Only two more issues to go!

1 Like

I can’t wait to see your responses!

1 Like

I’ve been reading this series through the Green Lantern Club, so I’m just going by what I remember from those issues.

1. Keli is technically a Green Lantern. However, unlike every other Green Lantern (besides Alan Scott), she has no connection to the Central Power Battery. How do you think Keli has all of her abilities without being linked to the same source of power as everyone else?

I don’t think it’s been fully explained yet in this series or in her previous appearance in Young Justice. So far all that’s been said is that she made it herself, which is…an interesting direction.

1. Did you enjoy Keli’s childish personality? Why or why not?

I think it makes sense, at least. She’s been taken away from everyone she knows, in some ways punished just for being able to do something no one else thinks she should be able to do, and when she builds connections to people, they get hurt or seemingly abandon her.

1. Did you like that the writer (Geoffrey Thorne) wrote some of Keli’s dialogue in Spanish? Why or why not?

It works. People do go back and forth between English and Spanish, so it makes sense that she can too.

1. Why do you think Keli is left behind so often by the other members of the Green Lantern corps?

Because to them she’s not a Green Lantern – she’s a precocious kid who, among all their responsibilities as a GL, especially after everything that went wrong with the Central Power Battery’s destruction, they have to look after because she can somehow do things that only Guardians can do.

1. What effects do you think Simon Baz’s death will have on Keli? Explain.

Well, he didn’t die, he showed up to save her when she went after New Korrigar, but the thought that he did die did affect Keli because he was the only Lantern who she had really bonded to, because he actually tried to understand her and speak on her level instead of being all “we’re the adults and we’ll take care of you and you don’t have to know a single thing that’s going on.”

1 Like