The Obscurity of DC Club Presents: Obscure Book Club, Week 1 (Sunday, Feb 6 - Saturday, Feb 12) -- All-Star Section Eight!

Hey everyone and welcome to the Obscurity of DC’s first-ever read-a-long (and event)! Our first story will be DRUM ROLL PLEASE

All-Star Section Eight!
AGE SUGGESTION: 15 years or older

Number of issues: 6

In this series, Sixpack, a superhero alcoholic, will try to recreate his original superhero team, Section Eight. However, he’s missing his eighth member! It’s up to Sixpack and the rest of his ridiculous crew to recruit the eighth hero to their team, and fight the evil that is inevitably bound to come.

Some discussion questions:

1. Which was your favorite issue? Why?
  2. What did you think of the ending of the series?
  3. Who was your favorite character? Why?
  4. What was your favorite part of the series? Why?
  5. Did you enjoy Bueno Excellente and Guts’ relationship? Why or why not?

Do you want to read some more lesser-known comics? Just join the Obscurity of DC club and be sure to make it to our read-a-longs! Who knows, maybe you’ll like it?

5 Likes

Omg this cover is too much! :joy_cat: You’ve got me hooked!

3 Likes

That’s my goal lol! I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on it!

4 Likes

I’m gonna answer my own discussion questions lol.

1. My favorite issue was issue 1. The cop calling Batman a racist is one of the funniest things I’ve seen in a comic.

2. I like how they showed that Sixpack truly is a hero, not just some guy who thinks he’s special.

3. Sixpack. He’s just so funny!

4. My favorite part was when Batman was called a racist. Or when Guts and Bueno Excellente get married. That was really funny!

5. I enjoyed their relationship. I loved how unnecessary and strange it was. It felt like a perfect part of section eight lol.

3 Likes
  • Which was your favorite issue? Why
    Issue 3 Martian Manhunter going insane from reading a mind just struck me as poetic.
  • What did you think of the ending of the series?
    Not what I expected, but par for the course with the tone of the book.
  • Who was your favorite character? Why?
    Hacken, liked how he just was chill throughout with all the craziness.
  • What was your favorite part of the series? Why?
    Wonder Woman serving tea, reminded me of the Old JSA
  • Did you enjoy Bueno Excellente and Guts’ relationship? Why or why not?
    Not really, it just seemed to be an aside from the main story, not really relevant to it.
1 Like

You caught up fast lol

Also, this:

is one of the funniest things I have read on the community

Just think about it!

In a world, where the most elite team of superheroes consists of an alcoholic, a pervert, a pile of guts, a guy with a blowtorch, and a bunch of other irrelevant people, comes one green man, who goes insane by reading the mind of a pervert.

Fitting

1 Like

Had some extra time to read tonight so I finished up this interesting series!

1. Which was your favorite issue? Why?

Hmm, that’s a hard one because every issue had at least some funny or interesting scene to go with it, from Batman having his…awkward conversation with the traffic cop, to Green Lantern fighting a tyrannosaurus rex with robot arms, to Martian Manhunter somehow enthusiastically being part of the team until he immediately wasn’t.

I think I’ll have to go with issue #5, because of how unexpected it was. With the premise, I was expecting some semi-loving jokes at the expense of a lot of big DC characters. What I did NOT expect was not only a rhyming Phantom Stranger, but to have him get in a rap battle with Etrigan the Demon, and for both of them to try to sell readers on calling for reprints of the trades for Garth Ennis and John McCrea’s Etrigan run.

1. What did you think of the ending of the series?

I’m kind of mixed. On the one hand, the idea of the DC universe being dreamt up by a drunk a-hole sleeping in an alley is both hilarious off-brand yet also kinda on-brand. On the other, seeing Superman basically enable some guy’s alcoholism just…doesn’t feel right.

Also, while I had a feeling that the “threat” that Sixpack was warning about wouldn’t really be some standard superhero fare, I was hoping to find out…something as to what it was.

1. Who was your favorite character? Why?

I think I would have to go with Dogwelder, if not just for being the most unique and horrifying “superhero” I’ve ever seen.

1. What was your favorite part of the series? Why?

Uh…I kinda already said that with the first question. Etrigan and Phantom Stranger having an Epic Rap Battle, that’s just…wow.

1. Did you enjoy Bueno Excellente and Guts’ relationship? Why or why not?

Well…I guess it goes to prove that love does conquer all.

3 Likes

Y’all forget that wasn’t what caused J’onn’s mind to snap. He didn’t read anyone’s mind, he just watched Bueno and Guts…how to describe this…slapping organs together. I don’t know about you, but I think that would break just about any sentient being.

3 Likes

I see where you’re coming from when you say this, but remember, it’s all Sixpack’s world. Superman would encourage Sixpack because Sixpack thinks it’s ok. At least, that’s how I think of it…

2 Likes

Actually it’s sorta of funny, I had just started reading those the day before so was halfway through when i joined.

1 Like

@FelixLeiter I’m not sure if you’ve seen this or not, but you seemed pretty excited for the club, so here’s the first read-a-long in case you missed it

2 Likes

oh wait nevermind lol. i forgot you read like every appearance of sixpack for this lol

2 Likes
  1. I enjoyed the Martian Manhunter issue the most because it was the funniest to me. Seeing all the heroes in the Watchtower, seeing J’onn J’onnz interaction with Section Eight - especiall Baytor - was fun to read. I also feel like I knew the characters well enough by then that I was able to enjoy the interactions more.

2. I get it, because having this book be canon would be absurd, but I feel like it was a copout and it doesnt jive with Hitman - who was clearly referenced in this series.

• Baytor was because I never knew what to expect from him. Having gone back to read the Hitman issues that introduced Sidney and Section Eight I knew where Baytor was from and how he came to be the bartender at Noonan’s. But he never said anything other than “I Am Baytor!” until the Martian Manhunter issue and from then on he’d flat out talk and was “normal”.

• My favorite part of the series was easily Sidney/Sixpack interating with actual heroes as if he were their peer. Seeing Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and Martian Manhunter all talk with him as if they knew who he was - that was a fun recurring bit.

• I did not because I didn’t get why Guts would love Bueno Excellente. I liked Bueno ok but I dont see how anyone, even Guts, could love him. I get that he killed the tapeworm that was inside “her” but still…
    Thankful? Sure. Love? No.

This was without a doubt the most disgusting book series I’ve ever read. The characters, the action, the artwork…all of it. Yet it was fun to read and very unique. I truly didn’t know where it was going to take me from one page to the next.

Great introduction to The Obscurity of DC Club as I had never heard of this series or these characters and would never have read this had it not been picked. I also got turned on to Hitman which is fantastic.

2 Likes