The Obscurity of DC Club Presents: Month of Obscurity, Month 2 (April) -- SIDEWAYS!

Hiya @ObscurityofDCClub and other members of the DC Community! Welcome to the second - in the best MLG gamer voice I can muster - MONTH OF OBSCURITY! For the month of April, we will be focusing on…

SIDEWAYS!!!
Age Suggestion: 12+

Number of Issues: 14

Description taken from dccomics.com: During the events of DARK NIGHTS: METAL, high school junior Derek James accidentally fell through a rift into the dark matter dimension! Now, as Sideways, he can create rifts in midair to leap through dimensions at will! But with that much power comes great liability—and cracks are starting to form in the fabric of the space-time continuum…

With that out of the way, here are some discussion questions:

1. In issue 1, we learn that Derek has always been very quiet. However, when he put on his suit, he had the confidence to stream himself to the whole world. Why do you think he’s so much more confident when he wears his supersuit?
  2. Why do you think Derek confided in Ernie instead of his own family?
  3. Do you think Sideways truly wanted to become a hero? Explain.
  4. Do you think Sideways is responsible for his mother’s death in any way? Explain.
  5. How do you think the story would be different if Derek’s mom was trapped inside the Gotham hole and became Sideways instead of Derek?

Do you have an interest in exploring the unknown? Do you like discussing comics? Do you like pineapple on pizza? If so, The Obscurity of DC Club is the club for you! Join HERE if you’re interested!

6 Likes

It’s DC Spider-Man! :slight_smile: I have to admit, Dan Didio’s involvement makes me very hesitant to read these, but I did like seeing him show up in Bendis’s Young Justice.

2 Likes

Just looking at the progression of covers has me excited for this one. I know absolutely nothing about what we’re heading for (other than he vaguely reminds me of Nightrunner for some reason - probably the Eiffel Tower?) so time to take the plunge. :smiley:

Guess I ought to finish the second half of Sleeper soon…

3 Likes

Nightrunner! I miss him! :frowning:

3 Likes

Yes, very much so. He’s Spidey to the point that I waver back and forth between thinking, “I find these comics so much fun because they feel like Spider-Man comics,” and, “This is such a rip-off of Spider-Man that I feel embarrassed reading it.”

3 Likes

Y’know originally I would’ve disagreed with you, but the more I think about it, the more I agree

2 Likes

Would it be weird I think Bendis should write a sideways sequel? He’s got experience with Spider-Man, you think it would be easy for him to write a rip-off version for DC.

3 Likes

He totally should.

Also, very glad to hear others agreeing with me :wink:

2 Likes

Now this is a good series!

1. Of course it is easier to talk and put yourself out there when wearing a costume. No one knows who you are!
  2. He confided in Ernie because she is the person he feels closest to.
  3. He says he didn’t want to be a hero at first, but there was always a hero inside. He couldn’t help but try to save people.
  4. I don’t think it was his fault, but it could have maybe been avoided if he was more open with her.
  5. If Derek’s mom had become Sideways, she would have been much more cautious and definitely wouldn’t have been streaming her exploits.
1 Like
  1. I think Derek thinks people will respect heroes. He wants the respect so he wears a costume to be a hero.
  2. I think Derek doesn’t want his parents to confide in other people. Ernie doesn’t have friends to confide in.
  3. I think Derek wanted to be a hero, but I don’t think he truly knew what it meant to be a hero.
  4. Like @scoop001 said, I don’t think it’s Derek’s fault, but Derek definitely could’ve prevented it.
  5. I think if Derek’s mom became Sideways, the series would have been more about family with some action in the background, the complete opposite of what it is now.
1 Like