The next big 3

It is pretty much unanimous that the big 3 in DC is Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. Who do you think the next 3 are after that ? I have always considered Aquaman, Green Lantern, and Flash to be the next up, but is that correct ? Could make cases for Supergirl, Batgirl, Robin, Harley Quinn, Cyborg and others. What are your opinions ?

7 Likes

GL, Flash, and maybe GA or Cyborg.

5 Likes

Flash and Green Lantern. Not sure who else. Maybe GA, the Hawks, or Aquaman? These days it feels like Harley but I don’t know.

4 Likes

Yeah probably Harley.
Anyone with the knowledge of who the most popular characters are other than the big three?

2 Likes

Zatanna (not a homer call she’s been around since ‘64) Hal Jordan & Flash or J’onn J’onzz.

2 Likes

So if we’re talking about DC characters overall and rating them in terms of recognizability, I feel like the next three after the Trinity would be Joker, Harley Quinn, and Lex Luthor.

If this is about ranking heroes, then I would argue Green Lantern, Flash, and Green Arrow.

6 Likes

I’d say Aquaman, Flash and GL. Largely because (until Challenge at Least) Super Friends always opened with Aquaman as one of the big four. Granted, Super Friends is historically regarded as having hurt Aquaman’s reputation more than it helped him, but it still stands that he was a central member and not just an occasional visitor.

5 Likes

Arthur Curry (Aquaman)
Hal Jordan (Green Lantern)
Barry Allan (Flash)

But thats just me​:grin:

4 Likes

If I’m just choosing the 3 I’d like to see then are
Nightwing
Zatanna
Flash (Wally West)

4 Likes

Hmm, I will go with Flash, Supergirl, and my bias says Barbara Gordon.

2 Likes

I would say definitely Green Lantern and Flash are next with the third rotating between a couple characters depending on what movies are popular and other variables. Whenever you go into non-comic-geek stores and there’s DC merch, its almost always Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, and Green Lantern. Batgirl and Supergirl merch is almost nonexistent outside of dedicated superhero retailers but lately more Harley stuff is getting put alongside the usual rotation. I don’t know how strong the merch metric is for popularity, but the prevalence of GL and Flash on merch and the lack of other characters has been something my buddies and I have been noticing for a few years now. Hope that helps a little.

3 Likes

Arthur
Wally
Hal

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 48 hours unless flagged)

Flash, GL, or Harley Quinn

Night wing, starfire and cyborg

I know Jim Lee kind of considers Harley to be like the fourth big staple of the DC Universe (sigh), so I suppose she would be in there. Then I guess Flash would be number five because A) he kicked off the Silver Age of comics and is largely responsible for the return of superheroes and B) he has his own TV show and is therefore more visible to the regular viewer. I guess Green Lantern would be number six, just because of how big that mythos is to the DC Universe as a whole. But, there’s also a good argument to be made for Aquaman, Supergirl, or any number of villains like Lex Luthor and Joker (of course, those two generally don’t have ongoing series’, which I feel kind of disqualifies them).

Right now? Supergirl, Harley, and Aquaman.