THE NEXT BATMAN: SECOND SON Digital Series

Getting close to the end…

Tensions in the GCPD run high as Mayor Nakano’s anti-mask policies are dividing the force…and a brutal round one between Jace Fox and Eabha O’Roark doesn’t go the way anyone expects!

And so this weeks “episode” is set up.

And further foreshadowing, as was seen in the preview… Whitaker and Chubb and “Future State” set up.

And then Jace and the Jace-cycle.

I’m reminded a little of VIGILANTE: SOUTHLAND and Donny Fairchild.

A so few shots fired and punches thrown…

I like Jace’s “costume.” It’s very cool. I’d read a series with him dressed in a costume like that.

His The Next Batman costume I’m not liking at all, because it’s basically just Batman and so is boring. This one I’m liking though – it’s boring in it’s normalcy. :relaxed:

And Eabha O’Roark, from issue #7.

And we close with someone that John Ridley had teased a few weeks back in an interview…

Nrama: Deep cut or not, who else can we look forward to seeing in this book in future chapters? Will we see the likes of someone like Nightwing show up?

Ridley: I will say that there is a character showing up who I hope is very beloved in the DC universe. A character that I think is one of the really interesting characters in the DC universe. He, she, or they is a great character. I think underutilized. I could not be more excited to have this character come in and they will be very pivotal in explaining Jace’s past. How Jace might have any capacity to potentially put the cowl on.

I think that when this character shows up it really helps indicate where Jace is going to fit in the larger DC Universe, and the kinds of characters that already exist in the DC universe that if there is more of Jace, the kinds of characters that you might see.

But to answer your question, yeah, most definitely. You’re going to see some characters from the DC universe, but I think one in particular shows up that is really going to help bridge Jace’s previous existence to the present into the larger Bat universe.

And that someone is…

Very cool.

And as ever, really looking forward to seeing how this all ends.

Next time, same Jace-time, same Jace-channel.

Largely an action issue this week…

No quarter asked and none given as Katana arrives to save Jace from the clutches of the mysterious assassin The Morrigan! Also, Tanya Fox resolves the civil lawsuit against Jace once in for all…but what consequences will it hold for the future?!

Yep, largely an action issue with a bit of a revelation…

So that’s who trained Jace.

Cool.

Revelation aside, this was the weakest issue to date I thought due to the action.

But I guess you gotta have action in there somewhere.

Next week it all comes to an end. Interested to see what happens and how John Ridley wraps it all up.

And John Ridley is rumored to be relaunching BLACK PANTHER over at Marvel once Ta-Nehisi Coates’ run is over, so this is probably it for Jace for awhile.

Interesting that THE NEXT BATMAN: SECOND SON #12 is not listed on comixology at the moment. I guess there’s a delay somewhere?

Anyway, that Black Panther rumor was true…

The Marvel Comics superhero Black Panther is getting a new series and a new creative team in August. It will be written by the Oscar winning screenwriter John Ridley (“12 Years a Slave”), and drawn by Juann Cabal. (The current Black Panther series, which began in 2016 and has been written by Ta-Nehisi Coates, will conclude on May 26.)

Black Panther, created in 1966, is the first Black superhero in mainstream comics and hails from Wakanda, a fictional African country, where he is known as T’Challa and serves as king. Ridley said he is eager for the chance to write the hero. “First of all, Black Panther is just a great character in and of himself,” he said in a telephone interview. “But being a young Black kid growing up, every time you saw a hero that looked like you, even if their background didn’t reflect my lived experience, it was just something that made you feel closer to the wish fulfillment that is intrinsic in graphic novel writing.”

In the new story, Black Panther receives an urgent message from a Wakandan operative who is in danger. “It’s a hybrid espionage-superhero thriller, but at its core, it’s a love story,” Ridley said. “And I don’t mean just romantic love, although there’s some of that as well. It’s love between friends.”

He said he thought about his closest childhood friends “and the ways that we ran together and how our lives changed over time.”

He said he also wanted to reflect upon the last year. “We’re coming out of a summer where we saw Black people fighting for our rights, standing up, fighting in ways that we haven’t had to do in years,” he said. “And it was really important to me after the year we had where we can have these conversations with Black people and we can use words like love and caring and hope and regret and all these really fundamental emotions that everybody has.”

Huh…

I may have to check it out.

EDIT:

Well, probably not, but maybe…

I guess the issue came out after all.

Jace Fox makes a stunning discovery in subbasement 13 at Wayne Enterprises and a plan formulates. His mentor’s final words to him will become clear–be a symbol of better things.

The drama is back… hooray. :relaxed:

And then some Jace discovery of the aforementioned subbasement at Wayne Enterprises, Tricorner Yards. Some Lucius Fox drama, and a bit of Tim Fox self-doubt.

Interesting the Tiffany Fox evolution into Tiffany Fox: The Kid Sister Wonder ™.

And we close out with Jace and his discovery…

Well, that was a nice little series.

To be honest, I kind of glad it’s over. And I’m satisfied, and I have no burning desire to see anymore of Jace Fox as The Next Batman. Actually, no desire at all.

More Jace Fox would be okay, but if not, that’s okay too. Not everything has to be never ending.

Now bring on STATIC and ICON AND ROCKET.

Well even if the writers working on Black Panther that doesn’t necessarily mean we wont see him doing stuff with Jace Fox and get him into the suit in the modern day.

I want to see where this is going at the very least, to know whats going to happen between Luke and Jace.
Also Tiffany…Are they angling for her to eventually go the Batgirl route?

1 Like

@nuuninuunani

In a way, I guess.

Although, John Ridley really set Tiffany Fox up as Jace’s sidekick…

From John Ridley and Olivier Coipel’s BATMAN BLACK & WHITE issue:

So maybe they’ll do that.

In all, I guess I’m just a little bored now after the series ended. And I guess after thinking about it, I look at it as Jace is always going to be second (or third or fourth) fiddle to Bruce and Batman, so it’s like… “meh” to me now. But it was fun.

And I’ll just jump over to Milestone where the characters aren’t ever going to be second fiddle to Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.

No, they’re in their own universe, so they’re the top dogs there and second to no one.

1 Like

I mean, that was kinda telegraphed from the get go that Jace wasn’t going to be overtaking Batman. Heck even in the Future State he was introduced in, we had another book showing that Bruce was still running around as Batman in the same city.

I had Noooo idea about this Black & White story though! I really appreciate you mentioning it ^.^ I’ll have to check it out

1 Like

@nuuninuunani

Yeah, I liked the "Afro puffs’ that Olivier Coipel put Tiffany Fox in… that looked cool to me.

Oh, and yeah, I never thought for a second that Jace was going to overtake Bruce as Batman. And was bemused by people who thought that he would. :relaxed:

And I never wanted him to either.

Really, I was just interested in whatever backstory that John Ridley was going to come up with…

Now I got it, and it was good, so I’m good.

And now bring on Icon, Reggie Hudlin. :relaxed:

EDIT:

Also, I was really into the idea of this series and Jace Fox, but then the Black Superman news came about and suddenly nothing else mattered. :relaxed:

But since I had started the thread I thought I may as well see it through to the end.

1 Like

And I guess there is going to be a new Batman series with Jace Fox…

I AM BATMAN.

I Am Batman #0 – The age of a new Dark Knight begins! On August 10, picking up immediately from the events of The Next Batman: Second Son , Jace Fox begins the march toward his destiny when he fights to protect Alleytown against the oppressive forces of the Magistrate, using Batman armor and tech he’s found in Bruce Wayne’s old base of operations, the Hibernaculum!

• Written by John Ridley
  • Art and Main Cover by Travel Foreman
  • Card Stock Variant cover by Dave Wilkins
  • Card Stock Variant cover by Derrick Chew
  • Card Stock 1:25 Variant cover by Riccardo Federici
  • 40 Pages; $4.99 ($5.99 card stock variant cover)
  • On Sale Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Eh… we’ll see.

And probably not, because I’m a little Batman-ed out at the moment. I’ve had my fill of the Bat people.

And Icon and the Black Superman is more in line with my interests anyway…

And Jace is going to be wearing that Batman armor. So yeah… no, I don’t wanna see that. :laughing:

Either way, it’s nice to have choices for once. :relaxed:

2 Likes

Ah, an august release. I suppose this must tie into that fall event they were talking about. Good to see that plot thread is continuing and wont just wind up being dropped.

I can certainly understand a bigger interest in Icon and that new Superman take over Batman. Heck, im still eagerly awaiting that ‘Nubia and the Amazons’ series that was announced as its the most hyped title for me.

When it comes to the Milestone stuff I confess its Static thats holding my interest the most. I still recall that cartoon

1 Like

@nuuninuunani

Yep, I wish this I AM BATMAN series all the best.

And for Milestone…

Icon first for me, then Static, then Hardware.

And I guess if Milestone gets a “second season,” maybe we’ll see if any of those ideas from a few years back get dusted off and brought to life.

We’ll see if this Earth M character is still something that they want to do…

EARTH M, an anthology featuring a mysterious new vigilante character.

Earth M is not only the name of the new Milestone Universe but it’s also the name of a new character that will exist outside of the city of Dakota in its own world. Written by Hudlin and Alice Randall, Covers will be drawn by the legendary Bill Sienkiewicz with interiors by Cowan and colors by Felix Serrano.

And that Love Army concept…

LOVE ARMY, a miniseries with story by Hudlin, about a secret army of women with amazing abilities and super-strength, sworn to protect the planet.

Love Army, also written by Hudlin features a strike “team of kick-a** women” from all over the world.

And I guess see if there’s any new ideas that they may have, and any new writers they may bring aboard.

Christopher Priest was there the first time around in a behind the scenes role in the early days, maybe this time he’ll also get involved and create a new character and write something?

Fun times ahead either way…

Interesting! Love Army if nothing else, kinda sounds like a Milestone Wonder Woman concept. Im certainly on board for that one if it comes out

1 Like

Well, today’s issue was very interesting, but I’m a bit frustrated/confused by the decision to jerk this series around. It feels like they could easily have made it an ongoing - The Next Batman - first arc “Second Son,” next arc “I Am Batman”.

I’m also really frustrated with the whole Jace thing - they still haven’t explained where Tim got the name or what it means to him other than “Not Tim”.

That being said, it is a good series, full of really interesting ideas that I’m very intrigued to see carried further. I just hope that it resolves some of the things I’m most invested in (What and where Jace means and comes from, Tam’s coma), and doesn’t put Luke down too much, since he’s my fave Fox.

Okay, this changes things a little bit.

From the September solicitations in DC CONNECT #14:

Olivier Coipel is the artist to the I AM BATMAN series proper.

I AM BATMAN #1

• Story by JOHN RIDLEY
  • Art by OLIVIER COIPEL
  • Cover by OLIVIER COIPEL
  • $3.99 US | 32 PAGES | FC | DC
  • Variants by GREG CAPULLO and FRANCESCO MATTINA
  • 1:25 Variant by KAEL NGU
  • Team card stock variant by GABRIELE DELL’OTTO
  • $4.99 US
  • ON SALE 9/14/21
  • In the throes of Future State, the streets of Gotham City cry for justice and Jace Fox answers the call! With a new and improved Bat-Suit, Jace hits the streets to inspire and protect…as he follows the trail of the voice of misinformation and violence—the anarchistic Anti-Oracle! Can the new Dark Knight counterbalance their plan to inspire armed rebellion in the citizens of Gotham?! Can one man inspire a city?

And normally I think Batman looks a bit ridiculous, but the covering of the whole face looks kind of cool to me.

And Olivier Coipel with that cover draws what to me is the best The Next Batman has looked to date.

So I dunno… I may be able to talk myself into this… :relaxed: