THE NEXT BATMAN: SECOND SON Digital Series

So, at the half-way point of the series.

Luke Fox goes looking for the culprit that forced Tamara’s overdose and relapse the first time (from the pages of Batwing!)—Ratcatcher! But is prepared for Ratcatcher’s dangerous new “family”?

https://www.comixology.com/The-Next-Batman-Second-Son-2021-6/digital-comic/927327?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC90b3BSZXN1bHRzU2xpZGVy

So it opens with Luke Batwing action that sets the pace for the issue.

Add in a little Commissioner Montoya and the detectives from the “Future State” and their first mission together – dealing with the aforementioned Luke Batwing situation.

And then the delectable Fox Family drama…

Then back to the bat-action with Batwing Luke, and Ratcatcher, and homeless and runaway kids with automatic weapons, and Gotham City cops, and oh my… [insert smiley face]

And then the drama again.

And we close with the Tiffany situation, and we see where the seeds are first planted for John Ridley and Olivier Coipel’s BATMAN BLACK & WHITE issue.

So now we know where Tiffany Fox, The Kid-Sister Wonder™ first started.

Neat.

Oh, and there was a recent Newsarama interview with John Ridley…

An interesting exchange to me was…

Nrama: Grifter appeared in the first digital chapter of this - a relatively deep cut in comics, even if he reappeared recently in James Tynion IV’s Batman run. Are there any other deep cuts into past characters or storylines you’re aiming to include in Second Son?

Ridley: All I’m going to say is ‘Yes.’

Nrama: Deep cut or not, who else can we look forward to seeing in this book in future chapters? Will we see the likes of someone like Nightwing show up?

Ridley: I will say that there is a character showing up who I hope is very beloved in the DC universe. A character that I think is one of the really interesting characters in the DC universe. He, she, or they is a great character. I think underutilized. I could not be more excited to have this character come in and they will be very pivotal in explaining Jace’s past. How Jace might have any capacity to potentially put the cowl on.

I think that when this character shows up it really helps indicate where Jace is going to fit in the larger DC Universe, and the kinds of characters that already exist in the DC universe that if there is more of Jace, the kinds of characters that you might see.

But to answer your question, yeah, most definitely. You’re going to see some characters from the DC universe, but I think one in particular shows up that is really going to help bridge Jace’s previous existence to the present into the larger Bat universe.

Curious. Who can it be?

Gotta keep tuning in same bat-time, same bat-channel, I guess. [insert smiley face]

1 Like