:stargirl: :stargirl: The New Golden Age Discussion Thread (SPOILERS) :stargirl: :stargirl:

Ehhh… I’m not sure I buy that. The first issue of Easton’s Mister Miracle was released with the Infinite Frontier stamp on the cover suggesting it was meant to be part of this new in-continuity era. I think it was supposed to somewhat correspond with Mister Miracle’s appearances in Future State, but, keep in mind, most things in Future State were anchored in Earth-0’s present. Despite the fact that it took liberties with New Gods history, there was absolutely no indication that Easton’s Mister Miracle was meant to be self-contained or part of an alternate timeline/reality.

I think it far more likely that, if it’s not Easton’s version in The New Golden Age, this is down to a communication error. It’s probably something like, Johns had these plans for the New Golden Age, but didn’t share them all. In the meanwhile, Easton is asked to write a Mister Miracle series for New Frontier without knowing Johns’ plans for the legacy. Johns can’t be bothered to change his plans because of Easton’s series, and no one can make him because he’s Johns. And, ultimately, Johns continuity>everyone else’s. That seems more likely to me as I’ve seen this play out before in much smaller ways.

4 Likes

cough Superman: Secret Origin over Superman: Birthright? cough

Oh my, I need a beverage.

pops open a Grape Soder and sips

1 Like

Ironically Johns did not write that issue with the image.

Yes

2 Likes

Rumor has it that Secret Origin being seen as the then-current Superman origin over Birthright is one of the things that made Mark Waid leave DC in the late '00s.

IDK if its true, but its what I’ve read.

For the record, and as big of a Johns fan as I am, I prefer Birthright over Secret Origin.

2 Likes

Sounds false, and if true then Waid is to blame.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if that’s true either, but it wouldn’t surprise me. Waid waited a long time to do a significant Superman story only to have DC refuse to back it once the Fanboy Whiners Association of America came after it. I like some of the things Secret Origin did and it was less controversial, but I also prefer Birthright.

I was thinking more about the minor discrepancies between Johns’ Justice League and the rest of the New 52. Like, there would be new versions of villains created in the New 52 books, but would revert back to their Post-Crisis selves when they would make cameos in Johns’ Justice League books and crossovers. The Mister Miracle issue reminds me of that.

5 Likes

No, Mark Waid had some feud with Bob Harris and his temper got in the way

3 Likes

Mark Waid might want to check his temper at the door. Overreactionary tempers never lead to good things.

Just Imagine…™ if Waid had written something for The New 52 and/or Rebirth. I’m sure he paid attention to those launches and thought “That looks cool and I would have loved to be part of the fun.”

Anyhow, we have Waid on World’s Finest, so that’s the most important thing, now.

sighs happily

“Ah…Arthur Fortune.”

I mean, ah…World’s Finest. :hugs:

nods to Homer in the hallway as he heads to the break room for a donut and Soder

3 Likes

Mark gets very angry. I once saw him rip Bane in 2 with his bear hands.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, I’ve heard the tales of his temper and the resulting tantrums.

I don’t tolerate pointless and petty anger though, so again, Mr. Waid should check it at the door.

2 Likes

Too late. He already destroyed the door.

3 Likes

In the words of the best on-screen Wolverine, “So I’ll buy him a new door!”

Also, in the words of Jay, from Mallrats, “Snikt! Snikt! Snikt-ity-snoikt!”

In my own words, “World’s Finest is awesome, and I thank Mr. Waid for what is the world’s finest new ongoing in 2022.”

3 Likes

Only 44,820 more seconds.

2 Likes

Eh. I’ve said before that I get why Waid does get so angry in these moments. He genuinely cares about the characters which is why his work is, in my opinion, so good. The other side of the coin is that, when you care about something so much, the passion will boil over. DC is not exactly blameless, but… I’m hoping we are past all this now.

3 Likes

Passion is all fine and good, no question.

Getting outright angry about fictional characters?

There’s a very clear difference between passion and getting angry over something that, in the grand scheme, isn’t worth the fumes and toil.

I’m passionate and deeply care about these characters and their well-being too, but would I ever get angry at someone and leave a lucrative gig because of my passion?

No…unless someone was outright trying to screw me over on something. Then the doors are getting ripped off their hinges, bub.

I doubt anyone was trying to screw Waid over, though. Could be wrong, but I hope that wasn’t the case.

Anyway…let’s talk about Justice Society of America #1, as that’s on our doorstep and should be quite the read.

2 Likes

Last two things I’ll say on this: At the point Waid left, he was a big enough name that he wasn’t walking away from a lucrative gig at DC so much as he was walking into another one at… the competition.

Second, was anyone trying to screw Waid over at DC? …Tough to say for sure. However, it was a bit unfair how Waid was treated after the Superman 2000 controversy considering that he was the only one punished for a situation he didn’t initiate, and, over time, frustrations like that stack up. By the point he left, I’m not sure I’d blame Waid for taking his ball and going home if he felt like those frustrations hit a breaking point.

But, anyway, I’m psyched for Justice Society. It’s likely I’ll hit this thread with 4 to 10 paragraphs of reaction after reading it.

3 Likes

I get frustrations, not being recognized for work you’ve done when you feel you should be and the resulting inner-anger that can come from those things, as I’ve been there, done that, many times.

Still, as tempting as it is to come absolutely unglued, its not something to lose your cool over. Just take a deep breath, step out of the room, focus on something else, etc.

Waid knows this. Waid is good, and so is World’s Finest (and so too will Shazam! likely be).

Glad to hear it! :slight_smile:

That will give me plenty to notate and anticipate for when the book hits Ultra.

2 Likes

A few more hours.

3 Likes

114 minutes

4 Likes

Well I pumped to see my daughter save the world more.

Icicle was called Joar eldest kid. Does that mean he now has siblings?

4 Likes