The New Batwoman is in Batgirl #50

What are your thoughts on the new Batwoman, aka Ryan Wilder, being introduced into the comics before her live action debut?

[Remember to please keep responses respectful, thank you!!!]

8 Likes

Awesome™:+1:. Did not know this but nice to see them bring her more in DC before she debuts. Maybe get more people familiar or she’ll become a Batgirl/woman/ something new in the comics.
Funny for it happened in Batgirl since the same happened with her.
(She was originally created for Batman 66 but since comic are fast to make than the show she debuted before she came in the show). (At least this is what I’ve heard)

4 Likes

This is excellent!!! Considering all of the tv seasons are delayed this is the perfect way to get fans excited for the show and to create a fan base for a new character.

7 Likes

I think the concept of introducing and developing the character in comics is good; however, I disliked pretty much everything I read in the Batgirl 50 preview. This dislike is not limited to the new character - I mean everything about the previewed issue left a sour taste in my mouth. I want the series to end on a high note, and this doesn’t feel hopeful or positive for the future or rebuilding relationships with friends and family. I get that it’s a preview and maybe the tone will shift throughout the issue, but I’m skeptical that I’ll find the issue a satisfying final issue for Barbara.

Back on the topic of introducing characters in comics, I don’t get the trend of having the new/guest character be rude or get in a fight with the book lead. I read Batgirl because I like Babs… being rude to her doesn’t endear the other character to me. I don’t find it cool or badass. The writer did a recent Batwoman guest appearance that had Kate and Babs randomly throwing punches at each other instead of the bad guys. It felt so forced and juvenile to me. I had hoped Ryan wouldn’t tread the same tired path, but this preview was full of disappointments for me. (Note: If that was supposed to be friendly banter/ribbing, it didn’t read that way to me. Trying to remove skeptical hat…)

8 Likes

I :100: see where you’re coming from.

3 Likes

Fell super behind on the series, but will give #50 a chance when it arrives on DC Universe or rather DC Infinite.

2 Likes

The only question I have is, are there now 2 Batwomen in the continuity? Like, is Kate Batwoman (in the comics) along with Ryan? I know about the show, I’m asking about the comics only, or is this still too new that we don’t know yet?

5 Likes

Just based on this preview, there doesn’t seem to be any indication that comics Ryan is doing any vigilantism, though that could certainly change. Kate is still the 1 and only Batwoman in that continuity

6 Likes

Thanks, I knew Ryan was for the show, but I wasn’t sure if it would be like a Flash or Spider-Man situation where there is more than one at the same time in comics. Thanks :+1:

5 Likes

That would be interesting!!! :grinning:

2 Likes

noooo :pleading_face: i mean, as long as she doesn’t replace kate… but… :disappointed:

3 Likes

Cool. I mean, no offense to Kate but I really wanted to get into her and tried several times but it just didn’t happen. So I’m all for giving another character a shot as Batwoman that is if she’s actually gonna be Batwoman and not Batgirl.
I do not like the idea of having more than one of the same hero existing at the same time. So Batgirl already has to choose between Steph and Cass we really don’t need a third candidate. And we really don’t need 2 Batwomen at the same time either. It’s quite redundant.

2 Likes
1 Like

Introducing the character in the comics as a civilian supporting character doesn’t in any way change my belief that her creation was the wrong move for the Batwoman television series to make, so all it does is add her name to a list of DC comic characters who were created by people outside of the comics industry, which is kind of a meaningless stat.

There is some fun trivia in that she’s debuting in a Batgirl comic, though, since Barbara Gordon is herself a made-for-TV character whose official debut actually came in a comic book rather than on TV.

1 Like

Would definitely be a good way to incorporate her into the mythos and build her up at that point given that she’s a completely new character, so anything goes from here on.

2 Likes

Wow, I wasn’t skeptical enough. I just about hated this book, lol. The only thing I liked is that Babs plays D&D… totally makes sense that she’s the DM!

If anyone is curious about Wilder, she only seems to appear in the one previewed scene.

2 Likes

New teaser:

1 Like