The Name Comics, DC Comics

Well, DC did have the US publication of the first James Bond comic book (licensed from Classics Illustrated in the UK)…
(Showcase #43 … We should probably insist that get digitized for DCUI.)

Edit; apologies, I had this partially typed when I had to jump on meeting, and as such didn’t catch that @chintzybeatnik had already shared this first bit.

The 1989 License To Kill comic adaptation (Acme Press) was illustrated by Mike Grell, writer/artist of Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters, Warlord, and much more for DC.

As far as I know, the first Bond comics of original content (as opposed to adaptation of movie adaptations of books) was 1992’s James Bond 007: Serpent’s Tooth, written by Doug Moench, whom we all know as the co-creator of Bane, creator of Black Mask, Nightslayer, and Film Freak, and writer of such classics as Batman #368 (JT’s first day as Robin), The Spectre (1987), shared contributions to Knightfall including the finalé #500, Knightsend, Contagion, and on …

The modern Dynamite comics of Bond were first written by Warren Ellis (Transmetropolitan, The Authority, Michael Cray, etc…), before being taken over by Benjamin Percy (tail end of prebirth Green Arrow, most of Rebirth Green Arrow, tail end of Rebirth Nightwing, etc…), then Greg Pak (Batman/Superman, City Boy, etc…), and most recently Garth Ennis (42 issues of this little thing called Hellblazer, Goddess, a run on The Demon that straddled Zero Hour but is for some reason also in need of getting digitized for DCUI, A Man Called Kev, Preacher, Hitman (what’s that, @Jurisdiction?), and of course the modern resurrection of All-Star Section-Eight and its inevitable spinoff, etc, etc, etc…)

In conclusion, James Bond is Oliver Queen.

8 Likes