The Modern Age Superman Club Micro-Read: The World's Finest

Greetings, @ModernAgeSupermanClub! :partying_face: :superman_hv_4:

The week of 3/15 saw the release of Batman/Superman: World’s Finest #1 at retailers everywhere, so what better way to kick-off even more of the World’s Finest than by reading micro-size adventures starring Superman, Batman and a couple other fantastic heroes as well!

I present to you, dear reader, a World’s Finest buffet:

You can choose the Superman and Batman option (written by Dave Gibbons, aka the artist of Watchmen):

OR…you can go the Batwoman and Supergirl route, which is a great option to celebrate Women’s History Month with:

Either way, choose what floats your reading boat (I’d recommend both series, as they’re highly-entertaining) and have fun!

Also: Have you read the new World’s Finest, yet? As mentioned above, #1 hit the print and digital stands this week and it’s FANTASTIC.

Discuss that book (and all of its grandiose comic book glory :drooling_face:) right :point_right:t2: here :point_left:t2:.

Enjoy and stay :superman:uper, world’s finest DC fan community!

:superman_hv_4: :superman: :batman: :00_batwoman: :00_supergirl:

6 Likes

Ah, I remember discussing this one previously:

In short, I was a total meanie who didn’t like it. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I do remember reading this one a while back. I think we all agreed the Steve Rude art was excellent, at least.

3 Likes

@AlexanderKnox You didn’t like it? No, you jest. :wink:

Indeed! Rude is quite the gentleman artist.

I enjoyed the WF mini, but I also enjoyed the Batwoman/Supergirl take on the World’s Finest pairing as well. Pity it didn’t last longer, but it was still a fun read, all the same.

2 Likes

I’ve read just about every Superman and Batman team up at this point and the Gibbons/ Rude series is very near the top.

I had just returned to comics after a six year plus absence (brought back by “Dark Knight Over Metropolis” no less) and initially balked at the expensive $3.95 price tag. However, Steve Rude’s art is about as good as it gets. I had recently read Byrne’s Man of Steel, so I was in the loop of how Post Crisis DC was working for these two. I greatly enjoyed the story and as usual Lex and The Joker just can’t quite get along.

Before the series I was just getting the Superman comics. By the end, I got a trade of something called Lonely Place of Dying (also at $3.95) and reading Batman again. Some guy named Tim Drake was the new Robin.

2 Likes

Its interesting how a Superman and Batman team-up title can pull people back to comics.

I was on a break from 2000 to 2003, and when I got word from a then-co-worker about Superman/Batman, I knew the time was right to end the break and fully dive back into comics.

It is, it really is. He did a great job on World’s Finest.

Not DC-related, but I was made aware of Rude due to various Nexus comics I came across in stores as a kid.

To this day, I still haven’t read any Nexus stuff, but after my recent re-read of World’s Finest, I might just finally look into Nexus, after meaning to do so for 3 decades and change.

“Tim Drake”, you say?

:thinking:

I hope he lasts. We know how fickle fans can sometimes be with new characters, after all.

I don’t. :stuck_out_tongue:

#carrieisthetruerobin3

1 Like

pushes up glasses, Reeve-style, as the comic store employee looks on in the distance from the register

While you are technically correct that Ms. Kelly was the third Robin, she exists as such outside of the mainline continuity.

Meanwhile, Tim “I sure hope I don’t use my last name as a codename at some point, because that’d be kind of goofy” Drake is the third Robin in the main continuity, of which, CK doesn’t exist in.

Now, let’s go over to the counter the employee is standing at and see if they have any charming Hamburglar adventure booklets (along with Roger Moore-signed photos of Sean Connery) to peruse, m’kay? M’kay.

1 Like