:superman: The Modern Age Superman Club Celebrates Neal Adams :superman:

The great Neal Adams, may he rest in peace. Embarrassed to say that aside from this late work of his, I haven’t really read a lot his work. Since I’m a vary late bloomer when it comes to comics, this may just be the only full story I’ve read that was drawn by him. I’ve come to understand the significance of his contributions to comics though, what with his work on stuff like Batman, Green Lantern, and Superman vs Mohammed Ali. That last one still sits on my shelf unread, one of many I just haven’t managed to get to yet. I’ve also noticed that a lot of the iconic art, especially Batman, that I’ve admired over the years on products and websites is Neal Adams’ art. When someone’s work is that ubiquitous, it’s enough to tell me that they did something right. Apologies if I am showing my relative greenness with the work of an all-time great here, but even this Neal Adams’ novice knows of the man’s significance. God bless his soul.

On to the book. I read Coming of the Supermen sometime during the early days of the pandemic. The art is out of this world. So dynamic and bursting with life. Action! Epic battles! Space! Visually, there’s just a lot to take in, in the best possible way. Almost every panel and spread is worthy to be framed and displayed. Adams’ rendition of Superman straddles the line between lean & mean and big and muscular. He’s got the trunks, a big S (with black outlines), and a new version of the belt. I likes it quite a bit. Let’s get a statue or figure, please.

I mentioned on another thread how I didn’t enjoy the writing so much. I speed read through the book before writing this to remind myself of what I did and didn’t like. I would get into it in more detail, but the man just passed. I find writing about what didn’t work for me to be of very poor taste at this juncture. Instead I will (honestly) say this: I liked it more the second time around. It’s a sprawling space sci-fi that has great action and lighthearted fun, and with Superman’s powers, wits, and all around good nature on full display. Add Adams’ art to that and, well… read it; you’ll like it Sam I Am!

5 Likes