The Modern Age Superman Club Week 3: Celebrating 10 Years of The New 52 Superman, Part 1: Grant Morrison's Action Comics

Happy It’s Almost Friday Day (aka Thursday), @ModernAgeSupermanClub!
:wave:t2: :clark_hv_4:

As we move into and throughout September of 2021, we’re going to strap into the Way Back Machine and go back to and throughout September of 2011, when the DC Universe was reborn, via The New 52.

In this tenth anniversary celebration of the landmark, line-wide, New 52 launch, we’ll be focusing on its initial Superman titles and how they re-invented the Superman franchise for an entirely new DC Universe.

:books: Read:

:speaking_head: Discuss:

• Did you read the New 52 volume of Action Comics as it debuted in the Fall of 2011?

• What are your thoughts on how writer Grant Morrison reinvented Superman for his early days in The New 52?

• How do you feel this Superman work of Morrison’s compares to how he’s written The Man of Tomorrow in JLA, All-Star Superman and elsewhere?

• Anything else that comes to mind.

Strap on your cape, work jeans and boots Super Friends, as we celebrate the beginning of Superman’s reinvention during our month-long, 10th anniversary celebration of The New 52 and Superman’s role/place within!
:partying_face: :champagne: :superman_hv_4:

3 Likes

I’m so thankful for this club since I’ve never read these and now I can with my best pals! :smiley:

3 Likes

Swell, @Bar-El! :superman_hv_4:

You’ll be happy to know that I’ll be featuring each of the Wave 1 New 52 Superman titles as they were released.

So, next week will spotlight Superboy, while Weeks 5 and 6 focus on Supergirl and Superman, respectively.

It’ll be like being there in the Fall (and subsequent months) of 2011 as each series debuted!

Well, kinda/not really, but close enough, right? Right! :superman:

2 Likes

Looking forward to rereading this one! It’s been a while, but honestly, I think it’s one of the best Superman runs of the last few years.

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to the re-read of this as well. :slight_smile:

For any unaware: Grant Morrison is writing Superman right now, over in the Superman and The Authority mini-series.

Issues 1 and 2 (of 4) are currently available. If you haven’t read it yet, now’s the time as it’s a fun read!

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I’ve been reading that. Pretty interesting stuff so far. I REALLY love his costume for that series.

Seriously, bring back the cape, maybe make the arms full sleeve, I would love to see him wear this for a while.

Speaking of which, I really enjoy this T-shirt and jeans style for Superman, especially in his younger days. It gives him a more rough and tumble edge that’s evocative to his golden age roots. Plus it’s an EASY way to dress-up and cosplay this version – I actually did this as a costume some years back when I went to a Halloween party. :smiley:

2 Likes

Yes! :raised_hands:t2:

I would love to buy a figure of Superman in this suit. It just works.

Agreed. In scaling Superman back to more of a “man of the people” hero and less of a “saving the world and inspiring everyone every day” icon, Morrison’s outfit for Superman at this point perfectly encapsulates his ideas for the burgeoning Man of Steel.

I would also love to have a figure of Superman in this suit. He has plenty of New 52 figures, but none are in the “early days” outfit, just the body armor, by and large.

Besides Conner’s t-shirt and jeans look, this is another Superman-related cosplay I would absolutely partake in.

Easy to acquire, wear and if I should step away from a con/event for a bit, I could go out into the real world wearing exactly what I had on at the con (minus the cape), without someone adding “Sir, you’re making a scene.”

2 Likes

I have started a full re-read of this series last summer after I read the entire Superman series. I am picking up again at issue 16, which isn’t in the club reading so I really won’t go into that too much. I like how Morrison throws in Easter Eggs such as seeing George Taylor return. Clark and Lois’s boss in Action Comics 1 (1938).

1 Like

While #16’s not part of the designated reading @D4RK5TARZ, you’re welcome to dish about whichever issues of New 52 Action that you are reading, ATM.

I just re-read the three parter from Action #'s 19-21, as I can never get enough of those issues! They’re just RAD.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m running behind – unsurprisingly. :sweat_smile:

• Did you read the New 52 volume of Action Comics as it debuted in the Fall of 2011?

Yes I did! Enjoyed it back then and enjoy it now.

• What are your thoughts on how writer Grant Morrison reinvented Superman for his early days in The New 52?

I think it really, really works. It takes the Golden Age version of Superman and modernizes him so that he feels hip and current, without taking away what Superman should be at his core.

• How do you feel this Superman work of Morrison’s compares to how he’s written The Man of Tomorrow in JLA, All-Star Superman and elsewhere?

He feels more brash and raw – which makes sense, since this is a young, inexperienced Clark who feels like he can change the world with his bare hands, as all young idealistic kids feel like they can.

• Anything else that comes to mind.

Okay, here’s something that comes to mind. You know how there have been attempts to make a Superman game – like a proper Superman game, not one that just features him like Injustice or the upcoming Suicide Squad game – for years? This story…this is perhaps unwittingly the perfect blueprint for an amazing Superman game. You start as a young, brash kid in t-shirt and jeans, exploring an open world Metropolis, helping people in the city while also dealing with a main story that leads up to Brainiac invading Metropolis. Like…WHY AM I NOT PLAYING THIS RIGHT NOW?!

2 Likes

Hey-hey, @Jay_Kay, and welcome!
:superman_hv_3:

No big whoop. I just put The Schtuff out there, and people are welcome to comment whenever they want, be it now or later. :slight_smile:

Agree :100:. Morrison is one of those writers who can show newer fans just why Golden Age stuff is so cool via a modern lens.

If I worked for a video game developer, I’d jot this idea down, go into my boss’s office and say “Boss! There’s a guy on the Internet who suggested what our Superman game should be about, and his idea is REALLY cool! Let’s bring him onboard as a Project Consultant, so as to get this thing done just right!”

To which my boss would say, “Excellent idea. We’ll give him full credit, and access to all employee perks, on-site and off.”

Thanks for flying in, JK. I hope to see your thoughts on the other New 52 Superbooks. :superman_hv_4:

2 Likes