The Many Masks of Jason Todd

Tonight, Titans returns with its first season to debut exclusively on HBO Max…and what a promising season it is. Set at least partially in Gotham, it introduces Barbara Gordon, Tim Drake and classic Bat-villain the Scarecrow, while sending Jason Todd into a spiral that will ultimately result in the debut of his gun-toting alter ego—Red Hood.

But did you know that, for all its infamy, the Red Hood is only one of many identities Jason Todd has used over the years? Of course, you could be forgiven for not associating Jason’s other personas with him as they’re all hand-me-downs from other heroes. In fact, even the Red Hood is technically derived from the Joker’s early alter ego. It’s starting to become clear why Jason has such a big chip on his shoulder…

While it’s unlikely we’ll see Curran Walters’ Jason taking on all of these other identities on Titans, you never really know with this show. So before you dive into the third season, join us for this look back at the many masks of Jason Todd.

ROBIN

Costume: Jason wore Dick’s pixie boot hand-me-downs during his time as Robin.

Tenure: After months of lobbying for the job, Jason became Robin in Batman #368. Sadly, his career as Robin ended after the Joker murdered him in Batman #428.

Notable Moment: To be honest, the most notable thing Jason did as Robin was get blown up. It’s been 30 years and any movie that’s acknowledged him has either referenced or revolved around the murder.

To learn more about the many masks that Jason Todd wears, head over to DC Comics!

Which of Jason Todd’s identities is your favorite? Let us know in the comments! :point_down:

6 Likes

This thread needs LadyBat @TheWifeOfJasonTodd’s full attention. :smiley:

7 Likes

Is this what winning feels like? 🥲:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

To kick of this thread, I do wanna show off a panel of his short time as Batman from Battle of the Cowl:

Okay… make it two:

tumblr_a4ee727d70c2a7f206d62fb04511516d_f666d1

8 Likes

i’m beginning to worry that batman trains robins to lead with their crotches

Summary

280604657b8ab1a08428b0b1bc7ba2593180cb8c_2_690x467

4 Likes

I love Jason to bits, favorite Robin, love him as Red Hood, but let’s be honest, most of his looks are kind of terrible. The only one that’s actually good is the standard Red Hood outfit with the helmet off and the domino on. The dome helmet with the eyeholes looks kind of bad, but it’s also very practical so I give it points for that.

6 Likes

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

I’ve shared this on other threads, but since this is about Jason and his costumes, I’ll drop this here. You will have to zoom in a bit but Curran talks about the Red Hood costume and helmet on set.

4 Likes

I was surprised she didn’t start it… :joy:

3 Likes

I feel like this is direct @TheWifeOfJasonTodd fan service :laughing:

We :heart: you and your love for Jason Todd :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

He is a cool character, so it makes sense!

4 Likes

IKR? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Agreed on both points here. :smiley: :+1:

5 Likes

:laughing:

4 Likes

You don’t understand how much it means to me that you say that. I try to tone it down sometimes believe it or not because I don’t want to annoy peeps with my fangirl tendencies, but sometimes I just have to show appreciation… a lot hehe!

I have honestly had such a busy week with finals and all so I still have yet to watch it today, but now that my exams have been taken, chores are done, mom and dog have went to bed, its time to watch!

Tonight my mom actually showed me an Instagram video from who I’m assuming is one of the show’s bts costume department, and its a video of Curran in costume trying on the Red Hood helmet for the first time (which is interesting because its two pieces that have to be put together, its not like a normal helmet that goes over the head like most cosplayers have), and I started crying! It was only a minute long but holy cow I had so many emotions, I guess because I’ve waited so long for this day and its finally here.

Anyway, now that I’ve shared this, its time to watch. See y’all soon :wave:

4 Likes

You are never annoying LadyBat. :smiley: :+1:

Aww- am so happy for ya’! :hugs: :purple_heart:

4 Likes

Never ever! :white_heart: :grinning:
:plate_with_cutlery:

3 Likes

@DC89 @xLOVEandDoomPatrolx

tumblr_oxnwjnlRZK1vmtulqo1_500

tumblr_82295cb310490ff8922009658ee8a26b_7b9e0833_500

4 Likes

I trained Dick to lead with his hair, Jason his tire, Carrie her glasses, Tim his laundry, Stephenie to go home instead, and Damian his morality.

4 Likes

:laughing: :rofl: All. of. this.

3 Likes

Maybe because I have something special planned for a certain special day perhaps? :shushing_face:

Also, this just made me hyper aware that not only are the mods watching, but I think DC is too… I sure do have quite the reputation here, don’t I? nervous laughing :smiling_face:

2 Likes

You are not wrong, especially in the early 2000s, it was a dark period for him. flashbacks to the pill helmet, shivers

3 Likes

While going thru email today I looked thru one for Pinterest and there was one suggestion called Curran My Husband. Yes, totally made me think of @TheWifeOfJasonTodd :joy:

2 Likes