šŸŒ‹ The Lazarus Planet Discussion Thread (SPOILERS) šŸŒ‹

yeah :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Lazarus Planet is promoting some new characters: City Boy, Deadeye, Vigil, Circuit Breaker, Xanthe, who remind me of the New Age Of Heroes.

2 Likes

Which had a lot of interesting ideas, but sank like a stone (even my beloved Silencer). :frowning:

5 Likes

:thinking:
Well now, this place, what is this? A place to discuss all things DC? What wonders this place could be.

2 Likes

Replace ā€œThe Silencerā€ with ā€œThe Immortal Menā€ and I more or less agree.

I say ā€œmore or lessā€ because we did get a terrific run out of The Terrifics, which is still the best team book of the last 5 years.

2 Likes

People do say that about the Terrifics, but Iā€™ve read the first few arcs, and it didnā€™t work for me. :frowning:

4 Likes

Silencer did seem interesting, at least enough to continue to be present in the DCU. I havenā€™t seen her since Percy left Nightwing. (Admittedly, I didnā€™t search for spottings, this is just a general observation.)

4 Likes

Yeah, interestingly, Sideways seems to be the New Age of Heroes new guy whoā€™s lasted longest.

4 Likes

My thoughts on Once We Were Gods:

• The Martian Manhunter story was the best one.

• As a huge proponent of anthology formats, and though it was what I expected, I was rather disappointed that the stories were more tie-ins and set-ups for later stories than stories that stand completely on their own. Anthologies work better when they tell full, complete standalone stories.

• Superhero stories have to remember that they are primarily an action/adventure genre. Only one of the stories had a bad guy cause trouble that the superhero directly had to resolve.

• Iā€™m glad that we saw a much more class-style Billy Batson than the one weā€™ve been getting for the past 10+ years. Itā€™s not fully up to his classic standards, but it is relatively close. I just wish that decision-makers would actually fully commit to the classic and core elements of the character, from the name, costume, personality, powers, etc. Maybe that will come later down line.

6 Likes

ā€œBut why?ā€

3 Likes

Just didnā€™t enjoy it. It didnā€™t feel like the Mr. Terrific I knew and loved from Rucka Checkmate, and while Metamorpho was fun, the other two didnā€™t really gel for me as to why I should care about them. Itā€™s a common thing for me with GLY - I just donā€™t vibe with his writing.

4 Likes

I gotta watch my sodium intake, unfortunately. :rofl:

This issue of LP wasnā€™t bad. I have enjoyed them and I have opinions on this series. (scroll up for those) However, this issue was more of a lead into an LP mini-series which is silly as LP itself is a mini. I think LP could work as a self-contained anthology book and gradually introduce stories to other books instead of everything all at once. Sort of like what they did with Batman Urban Legends. I know that isnā€™t the point of this but it could work. Another idea is this title should have been digital-first if they still did those like they once did.

I liked the Martian Manhunter story and the Wonder Woman story the best. The artwork in these books has been hit and miss. Also, this is the first book that seemed light on that Lazarus thing compared to the other books.

4 Likes

After lazarus planet, maybe red canary, flatline, stitch, city boy will end up in Teen Titans.

3 Likes

The Wonder-woman story was okay. I do agree that most of the stories here were really prequels to other series and thatā€™s really unfortunate.

Lot of flash and no substance here. The Martian Manhunter was really the only exception, and Iā€™m not saying it as a fan of the character, but just in general.

4 Likes

You just may be the first person Iā€™ve come across (be it in-person or online) that wasnā€™t wildly enthusiastic about The Terrifics.

First time for everything, right? Right!

sips his imaginary Sprite, pinky out of course, as he reads further

Well, thereā€™s your problem! Just read Lemireā€™s run on the series, then. Silly goose! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

But I also donā€™t like Lemire!

3 Likes

and before you say it, I dislike Russell most of all!

4 Likes

sits back and sips on his imaginary Sprite, pinky out of course

You are an interesting individual. Iā€™ve never met anyone who wasnā€™t into Lemire, GLY or Russell (Mark Russell, Iā€™m gathering?).

Again, a first time for everything.

holds out a plate of MN1ā€™s favorite breakfast pastry

Fresh from the ovenā€¦

2 Likes

YUM.

I like many writers, and to be fair, I like the artists on Terrifics. Just not those particular writers.

3 Likes

coughs nonchalantly as he holds his hand out while MN1 is om-noming his fav breakfast pastry

Not running a charity here, you know. :wink:

ā€¦and donā€™t indulge your inner-Kevin McCallister and give me Fruit Stripe gum as a ā€œtipā€. Iā€™ve seen Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (many times, in point of fact). :grin:

Well, at least you can gawk at the art and say ā€œI like-a the juice!ā€ as you flip through the mag.

SN: If you can find the two Rob Schneider references in this post, Iā€™ll buy you a Sausage McMuffin.

3 Likes