🌋 The Lazarus Planet Discussion Thread (SPOILERS) 🌋

Structure of lazarus planet seems to be: alpha, 5 issues of anthology stories (4 anthology stories per issue), 1 tie in to outsiders in batman legends of gotham, 2 tie ins to monkey prince, omega. Most of lazarus planet is the middle part which is 5 issues of anthology stories (4 anthology stories per issue). Main purpose of lazarus planet seems to be to promote the 20 anthology stories found in 5 issues in the middle. Some of the anthology stories lead to solo titles (ex. jon kent) or to solo stories (ex. power girl in action comics), which are part of Dawn.

2 Likes

Monkey Prince is just a gimme because he is so much a part of this entire story. The background there is that [Monkey Prince writer Gene Luen Yang] and I have been talking a great length all along about how his story plays with a part of the Nezha legend, [and] mine plays with another part of the Nezha legend. As we started talking, we realized that that was a coincidence that could be turned into an opportunity. So, we started to deliberately interweave the stories that are going on in Monkey Prince with the events of Batman vs. Robin and Lazarus Planet. Blockquote

it also gives me a chance to put the spotlight on Monkey Prince, who is such a great character. It’s hard to launch a brand-new character from scratch. It doesn’t go well a lot of the time, but luckily, Monkey Prince seems to have a staying power like Jaime Reyes does, where there’s going to be more runway for him to take off and really be a star character. Blockquote marks words monkey prince is the star they just are not saying it out right because they know if they said it was a monkey prince event it would bomb hard

3 Likes

Monkey prince probably will play a larger part towards the end of Omega. Dark Crisis 7 is similar in that a large role was given later on to Dr Light, towards the end (Kimiyo Hoshi needs all the help that she can get from events).

2 Likes

I’m telling you man he isn’t going to play a big part at the end its his event he is the star
I’m sure other people will do things also but it will still be mostly about him

3 Likes

For the middle part, there are 2 tie ins to the monkey prince title. For the middle part, those 5 issues of anthology stories (20 anthology stories) do not seem to have monkey prince.

2 Likes

he also has two backups and monkey prince 10 and 11 are also part of this
its a lot more then others are getting

3 Likes

oh and it looks like he will be a big part in batman vs robin 5 great just what I wanted
for the end of the story staring the batfamily that I started reading bcause I thought they were bringing alfred back for monkey prince to save the day I can’t wait for him to take over other books as well what fun :disappointed:

4 Likes

Alfred is on the cover of Brave And The Bold so he maybe returned already via magic. After Lazarus Planet, not sure if monkey prince might join some team.

2 Likes

Could be a flashback story, like World’s Finest, though.

3 Likes

There was no reason to kill alfred and also no reason to keep alfred dead for too long. I seem to remember Doomsday Clock actually had an alfred who was alive so maybe they just delayed bringing back alfred a little bit.

3 Likes

You’re preaching to the choir. I hate that Didio made King change his whole story AFTER it was approved and halfway published.

That being said, part of why I hate Batman vs Robin is they’ve faked out Alfred’s return very viciously in that series, so I have no more trust in anything DC says or does on the matter.

6 Likes

My guess is Bruce Wayne will hear a knock on the door and both Alfred and aunt Harriet will just show up and move in.

3 Likes

If they bring back Alfred it will be one where Matthew Rosenberg would write a crazy story where Alfred was resurrected by Stormwatch and is significantly younger and is more combative than before. Essentially a stupid explanation.

Bringing back Alfred in a genuine way is gone now.

3 Likes

Alfred still has that clone from All Star Batman

4 Likes

2023 lazarus planet next evolution 1 vigil by sumit kumar

2 Likes

Haven’t read it yet but grabbed the Nathan Szerdy variant from my LCS and hope to find time to read it this weekend. Really looking forward to this a lot - looks very interesting and love the idea of creating new characters or augmenting existing characters.

5 Likes

2023 Lazarus Planet Legends Reborn 1 by Vasco Georgiev

4 Likes

So…

coughs nonchalantly

Being that event discussion in-general really isn’t the point here, did anyone in addition to @FelixLeiter give Alpha a whirl this week?

Lazarus Planet was originally going to be an Ultra read for me, but after I picked up the Alpha book on Tuesday on a “I’ll try out the beginning and go from there.” basis, I quite enjoyed it and will stick with the event as it drops at retail.

As Alfred said in Batman Begins, “In a way.”

This time, it looks like Jon is taking on the blue and white, which will seemingly play out in his next title, Adventures of Superman: Jon Kent, debuting in March.

4 Likes

The next chapter of Lazarus Planet, Assault on Krypton, drops this Tuesday! Here’s a look at the covers:

Main/A cover, by David Marquez.

B cover, by Jen Bartel.

C cover, by Nathan Szerdy.

D cover, by Mario Foccillo.

As a Jen Bartel and Dreamer fan, I quite like the B cover. Dreamer’s doing her dream thing and then some.

However, as a huge fan of Superman Blue, the A cover shines nicely.

Which to buy (and no, “both” isn’t an answer in this case :wink:)?

3 Likes

No

Anything but D cover. They look way too roided up.

3 Likes