The Joker Series Announced By James Tynion IV & Guillem March

Honestly, yeah, some of those like Metal and Justice League were minor appearances at best.

I agree but at the same time think his appearances were short but his role/impact was pretty significant. He really helped Batman at the end of Metal and royally messed with Luthor in JL.

Thanks for context @Jay_Kay it makes me look at this book in different light. I think I’ll give it a shot, but I think I’m more interested in the Punchline backups to be honest. I really didn’t care for her in her debut but have come to appreciate her a bit more.

1 Like

So, would this be a good thread for discussion, or should we start new threads for each issue, or what would work best?

2 Likes

We have a new preview for The Joker #2!

Looks like the noir detective monologue from Gordon will continue, which is awesome! Tynion does such a good job of getting Jim’s voice!

3 Likes

First off, sure, we can talk about the series in general here! :slight_smile:

Second, thanks for posting that preview. Very excited to see where this series goes. Love how they’re using Jim as the main protagonist of the series, and I’m definitely curious to see what’s up with the swole woman in the test tube.

1 Like

Hooray! This is the series I’m most engaged with that DC is releasing right now, which I never would have guessed last year.

2 Likes

Awesome! I’m similar, though I would have guessed it, because James Tynion – kind of an awesome writer. :smiley: He’s at this point now one of those creators who if I see his name on something, I’ll at least give it a shot.

2 Likes

Agreed! The first issue of Joker was so full of rich detail, and so soaked in noir/hardboiled detective texture. Plus, it referenced Sarah Essen-Gordon, which hasn’t been done since before Flashpoint, so I’m kind of in love. :slight_smile:

I am really curious to see what happens next with Joker vs. Bane or whoever takes Bane’s place - I predicted when Tynion said something else was coming with Guillem March that it would be Joker vs Bane and called Arkham War, and I still think there’s a chance that this series will end up that way.

2 Likes

Issue #2 is out! Anyone had a chance to read it yet! This issue has more twists than I ever expected!

2 Likes

So, I was really impressed by the way Tynion handled the huge reveal between Jim and Babs. It’s been done twice before - first in Tec 422, then in Birds of Prey 89 - but hopefully this one will stick for a significant amount of time! I’m also kind of stunned to realize that March is drawing TWO ongoing comics right now!

What did people think about the revelation, and the race of all the criminals to kill the Joker?

2 Likes

Oh yeah, that was all very well done. I’m really excited to see where this is going, and how Jim is going to handle all these insane obstacles to get to The Joker. I’m also curious about this new She-Bane, for lack of a better name and what her deal is.

1 Like

I’ve heard her name is “Vengeance” - https://www.gamesradar.com/joker-2-spoilers-new-villain/ - which is kind of hilarious, given the two comics called “Vengeance of Bane:slight_smile: That wasn’t in the comic itself, though.

The four or five car pileup headed towards the Joker with Bane’s daughter, the cannibals, the Owls, and Jim, seems like it’ll create some pretty amazing action and tension!

1 Like

Interesting! Saying that she’s related, it makes me wonder who the mother is…

1 Like

I dunno if she’s related by blood! I think she’s more “in the tradition of” rather than “direct descendant of” - but we’ll have to see!

2 Likes

Today’s issue was fantastic - Babs taking an active role in the plot with Steph and Cass, Jim’s continued noir narration, and the great connection between the opening and closing of the issue. The Punchline backup was a bit surprising in what happens with Punchline herself (the Bluebird stuff was reasonably easy to see coming), but I think it’s probably part of a larger plan by our erstwhile villainess!

1 Like

So, with James Tynion leaving DC exclusive contract, I was very worried that we’d get a hasty, rushed ending for this, my favorite series on the stands. But Tynion’s promised he’ll go until issue #14, which is around the one year mark, meaning he’ll get to the first planned “off ramp”, which makes me very happy, though also sad, because it is my favorite title on the stands.

1 Like

Really loved this week’s issue! Punchline and Harper face to face, and Jim in Paris! The evil cannibal Beverly Hillbillies are clever and terrifying, and the art in both stories is just top notch.

1 Like

I am all caught up The Joker and the one thing that I really want to see is the Magistrate vs Owls. I can see that as a possibility and I am here for it. I like seeing Jimbo, as Joker calls him, chase Joker across the globe. I am waiting to see a double page spread of the Indiana Jones travel map.

I dunno about Magistrate, but I do really want the Owls and some vicious group of villains (or preferably multiple groups) take on the Owls.

And Jim travelling by map, as the Muppets do, would be great too! :slight_smile:

1 Like