The Joker is Overused!

i’ve said this before he doesn’t have to disappear just have him stay in arkham for a couple years, on a similar note batman who laughs is overated and annoys me

4 Likes

I pretty much believe that’s what could be done, or just kill off (or retire) the Joker to give him a grand finale until he comes back.

2 Likes

I honestly prefer that old classic version as a killer who laughs and poisons people with a smile put onto them, since he feels more of an evil character in a unique sense than just an murderous guy making jokes.

1 Like

Agreed. He’s so popular that his ex has become overused. Harley is in EVERYTHING now, has her own animated show, gets her own movies, is in Suicide Squad, has her own ongoing titles, got her own title in Future State, for crying out loud and DC is just oversaturated with her. I’d love to see the Penguin get used more, Calendar Man, Solomon Grundy, Mad Hatter, The Ventriloquist & Scarface…even bring back Bronze Tiger! Enough of The Joker as the villain. He got to run an entire war for a major crossover event and now has his own title - let’s give someone else a turn.

4 Likes

All the villains you’ve mentioned to get more appearances and praise, I agree with.

2 Likes

It ALL has to do with popularity and monetary income potential. This is how studios choose which character to give a live action tv show or movie to. Low risk high reward

Batman and joker sale a lot of comics. It’s that simple

I guess if you wanna blame somebody, blame the fans who have made those characters so popular. DC/WB is a business at the end of the day.

4 Likes

I have an old trade paperback of marv Wolfman’s deathstroke the terminator called assassins. On the back of the book, it says this “the defining deathstroke story, the breakout character from the hit tv show arrow.” Because of deathstroke’s popularity on the tv show arrow, dc decided to reprint marv Wolfman’s old deathstroke series. Do you see how this works now?

2 Likes

Also peacemaker has been added to the suicide squad, and bloodsport I think. You think that’s just a coincidence?

4 Likes

I also blame those fans along with the writers. Maybe the fans are worse since they didn’t know that because they prefer mainly one character doesn’t mean that he should always be the arch nemesis. Though, with people getting sick of him, DC might finally use other villains besides him for one. They already started using my favorite rogue, the Scarecrow, even if I find his new design weird, but it’s ok for me.

2 Likes

Yes. When a character is popular, they get more comics. They should just do this with other nearly just as big ones like Scarecrow, Penguin, Two-Face, Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy, Killer Croc, along with the lesser known ones like Ventriloquist, Black Mask, Man-Bat, Clayface, Mad Hatter, Dollmaker, Rupert Thorne, Nocturna, and way more along with this list.

2 Likes

I don’t think that was a random thing. People just love things and they get popular. It’s how comics and movies and shows (also video games) shape their popularity. The Batman is getting a GCPD spinoff as well with that.

2 Likes

Yup, that’s why I always try to spread the love instead of just fixating on one character. I always like to see different characters getting the spotlight.

2 Likes

Me too. I wish that villains like Black Mask and the Ventriloquist get more attention.

1 Like

The entire Batman family is overused! I am “Batmaned Out”. How about some diversity at DC Comics. War, western, science fiction stories need to be represented. The comic book universe does not live on every word and panel that comes out of Gotham City. Sheesh!

2 Likes

Add in some fantasy as well

3 Likes

Vote with your wallet. Show dc that you wanna see other things besides just Batman all the time. Trust me, it works.

People don’t seem to realize that they hold the power themselves.

3 Likes

Here’s a cool little fan film I found

No Batman. Lol

4 Likes

I have, of course, heard fans say that Joker and other characters are over-used, like also Batman and HQ. People aren’t usually interested in characters that aren’t their favorites. I would like to see more Batman villains as well but I don’t usually focus on them. I spend 95% of my comics-reading time reading comics with the Joker and have done since I was a kid, because he’s my favorite. I don’t blame fans for reading what they like. I only have a limited amount of time in my day. DC will print stories based upon what people will buy. If certain characters are popular, they will be featured more, because that’s what people like more and spend their discretionary money on.

I don’t think the Joker is popular because of a fluke or accident. He’s popular because his character resonates with a lot of us and he’s very versatile, translating well to multiple media formats. I don’t get tired of seeing Batman or the Joker, despite getting burned out on comics in general every so often. I come back to see characters I like, and actively search out their past adventures in the 80+ years of comics available.

Honestly, I would love it to see more characters get featured for my friends who enjoy other characters. I just personally don’t collect those comics and don’t watch shows unless they have characters I enjoy, and that’s what matters to me. I assume that extrapolates to the fanbase as a whole. Ultimately, DC wants to cater to what makes them money, and I can’t fault them for it. If more people start getting interested in these other characters, I’m sure DC will take note and start putting them in more stuff.

3 Likes

Oh to be a comic book reader from 1970-1972 <3

2 Likes

I would say that this is how I feel. I may as well be burnt of the relationship, but I still love the Joker anyways, even though I wouldn’t resonate at least much with a killer clown that spouts crazy jokes and pranks with a dark sense of humor, but it’s fun and gritty for this dastardly villain, but I will want more villains to get a lot.

2 Likes