:00_lc_green_lantern: The Infinite Frontier Green Lantern: Shining Brightly or Fading Out? :00_lc_green_lantern:

This was a fairly odd series. I enjoyed it, but I don’t think it ever quite lived up to the promise of the first couple issues.

John Stewart: The Emerald Knight just came out on Ultra, wrapping up a bit more of the storyline and checking in with Stewart and the other Lanterns. But there was one detail that puzzled/intrigued me. At one point, John saves a city from planet Ektos’s explosion. The city’s name is Marzal. That’s the same name as the island where Tyroc came from in the original Legion of Super-Heroes continuity. Coincidence? Tribute? Did Thorne & Santucci draw the name from the same source as Cary Bates and Mike Grell in their original Tyroc story? I don’t see much of a connection yet, but I’m very curious.

3 Likes

I actually really enjoyed this series. I love Jessica Cruz and somewhat saddened she wasn’t more prominent, but I enjoyed that Geoffrey Thorne highlighted not just John Stewart in a important role, but he also focuses on Simon Baz, Teen lantern, and Jo mullein.
I think this series gave a great change for Simon to become a new kind of lantern. Teen lantern and Jo mullein were not my favorite when they premiered in their first books, but I gotten to like so much of them here. Jo’s leadership skills and personality, honestly is the kind of role model I wish Carol Danvers acted like in the comics.

This more pulpy science fiction story is perfect for a new stage of Green Lanterns. I don’t know if they will continue the themes here, most likely they won’t, but I consider this series to be fantastic.

4 Likes

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would! I had a hard time getting into Grant Morrison’s Green Lantern, so I was really looking forward to this series when it began. I’m always excited to read more Green Lantern comics, really.

2 Likes

Hal Jordan was used a lot in Dark Crisis in preparation for his upcoming solo title.

3 Likes

I really loved the pulpy mystery stuff. It was the cosmic “John Stewart becomes a New God” stuff that left me cold. And that thread kind of took over the series by the end.

2 Likes

Many changes can be forgotten after a while. Post Crisis, I remember John Stewart was changed in his title Green Lantern Mosaic. Similarly, Kyle Rayner has been thru many changes that are now forgotten.

2 Likes

Honestly, Green Lantern faded for me under Morrison. I’ve only dabbled since then.

As for the newer/Infinite Frontier era lanterns, Jo seems interesting and looks cool. She’s sometimes written like she has more history with the others than she should, which bugs me a bit. Teen Lantern just annoys me - both the concept and character.

I’m excited for the upcoming Green Lantern series though! Hal is my favorite, I enjoyed his role in Dark Crisis, and Adams has been great on the Flash.

4 Likes

Quoted because that is 100% FACT.

The Flash is easily one of DC’s top 3 best ongoings right now. More people really need to feel the Speed Force and join the party, because I’ve a feeling that as great as the party’s been so far, its just getting started.

4 Likes

This new One Minute War thing will hopefully get several more people on board! It sold out in my shop for the first time!

1 Like