The Hill House Comics Sampler: Your Thoughts

I’m not overly interested in horror comics, but upon the announcement of the Hill House line a few months back, as well as this sampler (which came out this week digitally) giving us a taste of what’s to come, I just might read one or two of these titles.

Curious if anyone else is looking forward to Hill House and has checked this sampler out…

9 Likes

These haven’t really been on my radar but I thought the Joe Hill series (Basket of Heads?) looked good.

2 Likes

I haven’t checked out the sampler but theses are right up my alley. Probably trade waiting most of them, but I’ll be reading one way or another.

Carmen Maria Machado writing a book for DC is such a big deal, and most comic fans have no idea. Her short story collection ‘Her Body and Other Parties’ was one of the best things I read in 2008, was a National Book Award finalist, and won the Shirley Jackson Award among many other awards. She is next level. Can’t wait for her series.

5 Likes

**correction, I read her book in 2018. (typing too fast)

1 Like

@OMJ Ms. Machado’s work sounds interesting. I’ll have to look into that book.

I’m happy to see Joe Hill at DC. I wonder if he knows his dad wrote a piece in Batman #400.

1 Like

My wife is excited about this line of comics and she doesn’t read many comics. I tend to get excited about everything. When she shows interest my ears perk up.

2 Likes

@dogwelder9 You’re welcome. I’m glad you enjoyed it.

@moro Once these books come out, you could slide a copy of the first issue of whichever book she’s interested in into a magazine she reads, ala Ralphie’s plan with his mom and Look! magazine in A Christmas Story. Maybe that will get her into comics :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is the sampler like Sandman Universe 1 where you need to read it in order to understand the story in the books or is it more like the first few pages of each number 1?

1 Like

@Batwing52 The Hill House Sampler has a few pages from select Hill House titles. It isn’t a one-shot that kickstarts a new line of books like Sandman Universe was (or DC Universe: Rebirth for that matter).

3 Likes

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

Def excited about this line! Was wondering if others were interested too. I ordered ‘Basketful of Heads’ and ‘Dollhouse Family’. I’m also interested in The Low, Low Woods! Plus, John Carpenter did a one-shot ‘Joker: The Year of The Villain’! Think it releases Oct. 9th. Looking forward to that too! DC is killin it with Horror! :bat:

2 Likes

I’m super excited for this line, but I felt that the sampler was really underwhelming. Especially the Basketful of Heads part. I understand that they don’t want to spoil anything, but the scenes they gave weren’t very interesting, and, in some cases, like Basketful of Heads, don’t seem that relevant to what the actual plot of the comic will be. I’m still excited, I was just hoping for more.

1 Like

This line should be great I love joe hill Locke and key was an amazing series

3 Likes

I’m in for Basketful of Heads. I’ll check out the first issues of the other books and go from there.