The Greatest Compliment

I have been a member of this community for quite some time now. I have received compliments from the cast of Stargirl and writers such as Ron Marz for my likeness portraits.
However none of those match to the one I received today. One of my former coworkers and good friends passed away this week due to COVID. He was one of the kindest and friendliest people you’d ever meet. To deal with my grief at his sudden passing, I turned to drawing. I drew a portrait of my friend being sure to capture his smile. I wrote a tribute to him and posted with the drawing online.
Today I attended a walkthrough wake for him. I expressed my sympathy to his widow and his children and when she heard my name she recognized it from the drawing. One of her kids and she told me it was beautiful and she was trying to figure out how to print it as I captured his smile perfectly.
This compliment made my day more than all the other ones combined.

14 Likes

I’m sorry for your loss. :blue_heart:

5 Likes

Thank you. Although I had not worked with him in over four years it still hit me hard. Everyone liked him and he will be missed. As I said I go into drawing as a helpful release

6 Likes

God Bless you. Small acts of kindness can mean so very much when you loose someone close to you. Proud to know you.

4 Likes

I’m so very sorry @ImpulseMaxMercury. :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Thanks. I wanted to show what he meant and this was how I did it. I worry when drawing real people because I feel I could mess it up and insult but I’m glad it was appreciated.

3 Likes

Thanks. It came out of the blue but it may bring me back into contact with those I used to work with and call friends

2 Likes

sorry for your loss, but thanks for showing care in such a unique and meaningful way

2 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss. What a wonderful way to celebrate your friend’s life :black_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you.
I wanted to express my sympathy to his family and I did it one of only ways I knew how

1 Like

Thank you. It came as a shock to me. I really am ready for this pandemic to be done with. Has taken too many good ones

2 Likes

I’m really sorry to hear that. It’s nice that you were able to do that for him, and clearly his family appreciated it.

1 Like

I’m sorry for your loss. I’m sure your art brought solace to the family.

1 Like