The Gay Ghost

So I was flipping through Sensational Comics #1 and found this

3 Likes

Roy Thomas changed his name to the Grim Ghost when he did his secret origin issue. He thought the name had too many negative connotations these days. He was probably right.

2 Likes

That makes sense lol. I like The Gay Ghost better though. Just because it’s funny :stuck_out_tongue:

I love it. I really wish they’d get all these ridiculous old comics on the service. There are so many ludicrous gems out there :grin:

2 Likes

Thanks for posting. Yeah, wouldn’t it be wonderful if we got stacks more of the older comics digitized in the next couple of years!

I have a couple of hardcover books of Hal Foster’s Prince Valiant from the Sunday paper. That’s a got a very interesting look to it as well, great art from back in 1949.

4 Likes

I think it’s so weird how a lot of old comics (like 80years) seem to be more about medieval stuff than superheroes.

1 Like

Back then they didn’t know what would sell so they went for the old standbys. Knights, Pirates, Cowboys and Spacemen and of course the Private detective/Spy/Adventurer and Aviators. Also, most books were not named after the lead character. They believed you needed a diversity of characters to keep the kids excited and buying. It was also a way to hedge their bets that if one strip didn’t work the next one might make up for it.

3 Likes

Yep over all the assumption in the mid 50s early 60s was people reading comics were between 6 and 10 years of age.

I believe there were some movies at the time, big hits, that involved like Ivanhoe that kind of thing.

1 Like