The Future of the DCEU (2022)

It also didn’t sell that well

1 Like

So this is “the plan”…

Warner Bros. hopes to improve its DC brand by mapping out the brand’s next 10 years.

According to Collider, during Warner Bros. Discovery’s second quarter 2022 earnings call, WBD CEO David Zaslav laid out that a plan was being put into place for the future of DC films. “We have done a reset. We’ve structured the business. There will be a team with a 10-year plan focusing just on DC. It’s very similar to the structure that Alan Horne and Bob Iger put together very effectively with Kevin Feige at Disney,” Zaslav stated. “We think we could build a long-term, much more sustainable growth business out of DC, and as part of that, we’re going to focus on quality. We’re not going to release any film before it’s ready… The focus is going to be, how do we make each of these films, in general, as good as possible? DC is something we can make better, and we’re focused on it now.”

No details really, but I didn’t really expect any.

Reset is the only word that I was looking for though and I got it. And quality too, but of course they’re going to say that… but I’m glad they did just the same.

Anyway, let’s go… hit that reset button.

And 2025 maybe we’ll start to see this… maybe 2024. Hopefully in 2024.

See also:

1 Like

Interesting. So in keeping with the “reset” theme, does that mean every DC movie currently in production is going to get trashed so they can start again? Am I wrong or does every studio generally try to make the best film possible? I thought that was the point of business, you provide a product or service and the customers buy it. Make the best optimized product, and profit. Art doesn’t necessarily work that way, but I guess they’re not in the business of making art.

4 Likes

I don’t mind quality over quantity but that better mean that Justice U is given a better budget and Gotham knights is straight up canceled after the premiere.

*No offense to the actors of Gotham knights because you all deserve better projects.

2 Likes

@iJest

Interesting. So in keeping with the “reset” theme, does that mean every DC movie currently in production is going to get trashed so they can start again? Am I wrong or does every studio generally try to make the best film possible? I thought that was the point of business, you provide a product or service and the customers buy it. Make the best optimized product, and profit. Art doesn’t necessarily work that way, but I guess they’re not in the business of making art.

Well, David Zaslav did say this as well…

DC has proceeded in stops and starts following the conclusion of Christopher Nolan’s defining Dark Knight trilogy concluded a decade ago. The studio initially tapped Zack Snyder to oversee its planned universe, which the filmmaker launched in 2013 with Man of Steel. However, Snyder lost the confidence of studio executives after the divisive 2016 Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and some of the films in an ambitious 10-project slate announced in 2014 never came to fruition, including Justice League 2. Executive Walter Hamada took the reins of DC Films in 2018 and has been plotting out a number of films — including several for HBO Max to meet the mandate of then-WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar. Now those plans are changing once again.

Zaslav touted a number of DC films coming up, including Black Adam and Shazam! Fury of the Gods, and addressed rumors that some of those films could shift dates without confirming or denying any specifics.

“We are very excited about them. We’ve seen them. We think they are terrific, and we think we can make them even better,” Zaslav said in terms of marketing and distributing the upcoming films, which also include The Flash, starring controversial actor Ezra Miller.

So they probably won’t trash them, they’ll probably just go back and reshoot.

And the reshoots may entail totally closing the door on that chapter, or changing them enough (the endings or whatever) to make it work what David Zaslav and his people want to do going forward – hence the “…we think we can make them even better.”

Yes, the article says he was saying that “in terms of marketing and distributing the upcoming films.”

That translates to me as, “Yeah, we’re reshooting the endings.” :smiling_face:

No, I of course have no idea what they’re doing.

I don’t however think there’s going to be a third Wonder Woman movie. And that Blue Beetle movie is probably gone too. And I don’t think anything else has even been started.

So a new Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman is most likely the plan. And Matt Reeves’ Batman will probably continue doing it’s own thing until that’s done (be it another movie or two, and a couple of HBO Max series), and this new Batman will probably just be with whatever this new 10-year plan is…

Or they could do something totally different. One or the other. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The 10 year plan is promising. But i do recall a few months ago, they talked a bit about finding a Fiege-like head for the DC department, describing preferring a “business guru”. And while Kevin Fiege is clearly good at that, part of what has made him so successful is that he is a genuine fan of Marvel and does car about the artistic/story-telling side. IDK, considering how far they are willing to go these last few days in an effort to eliminate debt, I have concerns they might be too business focused

3 Likes

I have that concern as well. I’m also very wary of the Marvel model, especially when it comes to tone and plotting. Marvel may be super successful but they also feel too similar a lot of the time. And they are often hampered by requirements they have to meet. On the other hand we could get some really fascinating and complete character arcs. Now that I would love to see.

2 Likes

Blue Beetle should be safe

2 Likes

@EDT

The 10 year plan is promising. But i do recall a few months ago, they talked a bit about finding a Fiege-like head for the DC department, describing preferring a “business guru”. And while Kevin Fiege is clearly good at that, part of what has made him so successful is that he is a genuine fan of Marvel and does car about the artistic/story-telling side. IDK, considering how far they are willing to go these last few days in an effort to eliminate debt, I have concerns they might be too business focused

Yeah, the whole catch is can you make good movies. That’s the whole ball game.

Take Geoff Johns: he of course knows DC backwards and forwards, and is obviously a huge DC fan. He’s not that great at the movie side of things though.

So give me someone who knows how to make a good movie. And learning the minutia of DC is something anyone can do: they can just Google or ask Jim Lee. :smiling_face:

@Clonegeek18

Blue Beetle should be safe

Yeah… maybe.

If anything we’ve learned over the past little while is that David Zaslav does not care. If it’s not what he wants to do, it’s not going to happen.

The Batgirl situation. And lost in the shuffle that no one is talking about, there was a House Party reboot movie set for HBO Max (I believe) that Lebron James’ production company was behind.

That movie was completely done, and unlike Batgirl, it actually had a release date of this past July 28th.

That movie is gone now, and who knows if it’s going to come back.

So Blue Beetle may be safe, or it may not be. And if past is prologue, I’m not sure why it would be safe.

Although, of course, it could be, but… yeah. :smiling_face:

If it fits in with their new 10-year plan, then okay, maybe. If not though…

I just want WB to stop chasing Marvel. It seemed like they’d settled on a strategy: stick with the parts of the DCEU people liked (Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Harley Quinn) while developing interesting projects outside of that universe (Joker, The Batman) and using streaming to build on those projects (Peacemaker, Penguin) or showcase characters that might not qualify for a solo blockbuster (Batgirl, Blue Beetle). That seemed like a really smart strategy, and was different from what Disney was doing with Marvel.

7 Likes

The 10 year plan excites me. Focus on Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman excites me. However:

• Saying you want a plan and having a plan are different things.
  • Having a plan and sticking to a plan are also different things. Are they gonna buckle and panic if the first movie or two make 600 to 800 million apiece? Just like they “want to get it right”, they need to give the franchise a chance to breath and find its footing before expecting the billion dollar revenues.
  • The desire to mimic Marvel worries me. Constantly playing catch-up is not a good look.
  • The desire to focus on “big movies” or whatever worries me. I actually feel like I get more out of the shows. That’s what I look forward to the most. Otherwise read: leave Superman & Lois alone.
6 Likes

Yeah, connecting everything is always a risk, because everything has to hit. And if one thing misses, then you’re kind of you know what…

If they start with Superman and it misses, then they’re back in the same place they were with Zack Snyder.

If I had my way I would say just do stand-alone everything. Because if you miss then, then no big deal, because it doesn’t potentially affect everything, just itself.

But I’m an eternal optimist. I’m giving David Zaslav every chance in the world… multiple chances.

He green-lit freaking Joker: Folie à Deux with Lady Gaga set to co-star. So yeah, this guy is getting all of the passes and all of the chances with me.

Who they cast for Superman is going to be what sets the standard.

David Zaslav continuously talked about “quality.”

The first thing green-lit under his regime is Joker: Folie à Deux. That’s quality all around to me – Best Actor Oscar winner to star, and Best Actress Oscar nominee, and Best Original Song Oscar winner to co-star.

If this is David Zaslav idea of quality, then let’s go.

2 Likes

I like your optimism. Can’t say I’m as excited as you are (Joker and the Oscars don’t excite me all that much), but I’d rather look forward to something than worry about something, so… as always, hope for the best!

2 Likes

I read an article online, I believe it was on The Wrap, that said that Zaslav told investors that he would like to cut development staff by something like 70% and cut costs by $3 billion with HBO MAX being the number one target for these cuts. It sounds like there won’t be any more HBO MAX original scripted shows but the shows that originated on HBO proper would remain. James Gunn tweeted that Peacemaker Season 2 is safe but other shows like Doom Patrol, Harley Quinn, and Titans are properly not. Zaslav also said that HBO MAX and Discovery’s streaming services would be combined into one streaming service sometime next year. Zaslav is also taking a hard look at what to do with other networks owned by Warner Bros. Discovery like TNT and TBS. This leads me to believe that the future of DC Universe Infinite might be discussed at some point too.

1 Like

@moro

I like your optimism. Can’t say I’m as excited as you are (Joker and the Oscars don’t excite me all that much), but I’d rather look forward to something than worry about something, so… as always, hope for the best!

Yeah, I assume they’re going with new and young people for the roles of the trinity, so Oscar winners or nominees would probably be pretty hard if next to impossible to find.

So I’ll just settle for talented… very talented, with maybe Oscar potential in their future. :blush:

Just looking the part is kind of not really good enough.

@strikerdojo.30849

Yeah, Doom Patrol will probably be winding down soon anyway.

And while I’ve never watched a single episode of Titans, I could see that being pulled at anytime.

I imagine all of the future shows will be spin-offs of the movies.

True, that’s kind of the Marvel way, but that’s just a structure and has no bearing on the content.

The Batman spin-off show(s) will more or less follow the structure that Marvel does, but obviously the content of them will be nothing like a Marvel show. :smile:

Likewise, I imagine DC’s new movies will be their own thing too and not like Marvel’s. They’ll have their own look and feel. Because copying what Marvel does in look and feel is probably not going to work. They have to be their own thing.

Anyway, I’ve kind of gone off on a bit of a tangent there… the Marvel disdain is strong with me, me and Martin Scorsese are kindred spirits. :blush:

I don’t see DC live action films having too bright of a future past 2023-2024ish sadly. I don’t think WBD actually has any 10 year plan like they claim. So I think after next year or so things will be pretty rough.

Though if we get both Joker 2 and the second Matt Reeves Batman movie in 2024 that might help things even out, but come 2025 unless there actually is a solid plan in place I fear DC’s theatrical slate will still trail behind Marvel’s in popularity and public opinion.

Oh well at least DC has better cartoons and Comics so at least there’s that!

2 Likes

So WB had a plan in 2015, but they chose Zack Snyder as the guy running the universe and they should have known from Watchmen how his movies would look and that he didn’t have the skills to substitute for Nolan (which is who they really wanted). Despite that, Snyder’s universe paid off in the sense that it developed characters beyond just Batman and Superman that could draw a big movie audience, and that solved DC’s most critical issue, even if Snyder’s universe wasn’t that succesful.

So what renowned creative person is Discovery bringing in to run the next DC universe? JJ Abrams would have qualified but it doesn’t look like he is really producing anything.

1 Like

@SuperBrainiac

I don’t see DC live action films having too bright of a future past 2023-2024ish sadly. I don’t think WBD actually has any 10 year plan like they claim. So I think after next year or so things will be pretty rough.

Though if we get both Joker 2 and the second Matt Reeves Batman movie in 2024 that might help things even out, but come 2025 unless there actually is a solid plan in place I fear DC’s theatrical slate will still trail behind Marvel’s in popularity and public opinion.

Yeah, I think it’s a risk too.

I of course think they do actually have a plan. Whether it will work or not though, of course, is the question.

Whatever the case, super-hero movies are not going to rule the box office forever (at risk of stating the obvious) – Tom Cruise and Top Gun, and Tom Cruise is counting his $100 million dollar+ payday.

Westerns were all the rage for decades. They don’t really make Westerns anymore.

And yeah, I think the Joker and The Batman will be fine, but beyond that… yeah, who knows.

And Marvel: thankfully for them they still have the X-Men to come, or “The Mutants” or whatever. Because they’re down to C and D-list characters otherwise, so…

@Zontarr_of_Pellucidar

So WB had a plan in 2015, but they chose Zack Snyder as the guy running the universe and they should have known from Watchmen how his movies would look and that he didn’t have the skills to substitute for Nolan (which is who they really wanted). Despite that, Snyder’s universe paid off in the sense that it developed characters beyond just Batman and Superman that could draw a big movie audience, and that solved DC’s most critical issue, even if Snyder’s universe wasn’t that succesful.

So what renowned creative person is Discovery bringing in to run the next DC universe? JJ Abrams would have qualified but it doesn’t look like he is really producing anything.

Yep, that’s kind of how it works.

Warner Bros. went with Christopher Nolan and got a couple of billion dollar Batman movies out of the deal.

And Warner Bros. was killing everybody with that.

And then they went with Zack Snyder and… he had freaking Justice League and couldn’t get a billion dollars.

So… you win some and you lose some.

And yeah, I always say about JJ Abrams: when they announced that he was coming to Warner Bros., the very first thing I thought was, “Oh… yeah, he’s doing Superman.”

That was the old bosses though. The new bosses have their own ideas. Let’s see how they pan out…

Of course, I personally like the reports that David Zaslav had met or considered Todd Phillips for an advisory role on the DC movies – and I guess turning $60 million into a billion gets you a meeting with the new boss.

Anyway, I would say fine if it’s for a “DC Black” or “DC Black Label” type of slate of movies.

Actually, I would say fine for any and everything, but a “DC Black” or “DC Black Label” slate of movies I would think would lead to more creative freedom. Because I don’t think they would do something like a Joker: Folie à Deux musical with any of their mainline, four quadrant movies. :smiling_face:

No, the appropriate place for the appropriate thing.

1 Like

When it comes to Doom Patrol and Harley Quinn, I am worried for those shows. HQ has a better chance if surviving this, but not a guarantee. Hopefully, when this new combined streaming service comes out, the shows that were HBO Max originals would still be on this new service. But I’ll admit, the paranoid part of me is already seeking out physical copies of HQ and DP

One reason I bought physical copies of Stargirl when they came out.