The Direction of the DCEU

On one hand I think that having a series of movies be connected with an overarching plot would be cool, on the other I think that its not necessary to tell great DC stories. What DC needs is their own movie studio that actually understands their characters. With WB it’s essentially a coin flip at this point. Direction is something that is severely lacking and is the biggest reason that the DCEU suffered. A lot of the earlier films felt like they were going through a grocery list of things that needed to be included for maximum nostalgia. Justice League was a decent movie at best but it didn’t really excel at any one thing.

I highly doubt they have any real plans. They switch their minds so much, perhaps one more reboot is in order and try again.
I personally like Man of Steel and wish to see that actor play the role again in another Superman film.

3 Likes

Yup +1 on this, it really seems like most of the plans are being made by other companies that want to work with DC material rather DC making planes with their own material.

Like HBO right now is just gobbling it all up.

I really don’t want to see another Supes, I really like Henry and having some other actor come in is just so immersive breaking.

2 Likes

As it is, I’m okay with them focusing on solo films or non-connected films that exist within the same universe, and maybe, just maybe, one day doing a big event film where characters team up. For now they, they just need to focus on wins. Joker was a big one for them, now we just need to see if Bird’s of Prey can follow-up.

Well, I have some bad news then. A Superman spin-off show was announced by the CW starring the guy who played Superman in the Supergirl tv show. I love Cavill as Superman too, and I really hope they have the good sense to bring him back some day.

1 Like

I saw that Joker has made over 850 million and it’s coming up on making almost as much as infinity war possibly which is insane to think about. The Batman villains in general are all they need for a great slew of films. They did this with Joker, Harley Quinn has had success too which is going to be strong out between three movies, ss1 and ss2 and bop and probably more films. I feel like people would probably show up for a scarecrow movie, a killer croc movie, king shark, however they did it. I feel like the villains have a stronger presence in DC as opposed to Marvel where honestly the villains aren’t the same quality as the heroes. Realistically Loki became an anti hero, kilmonger had valid points and didn’t even seem like a villain really and Thanos mainly was a good villain simply because he won.

Agreed, it was well formulated. I think it could have worked and could with DC but it can’t be the same. Hulk changed actors after one film not three…but I think it could still work with a recasting even if it was Affleck.

Yeah it would be interesting to see a legit lineup, they could give out the animated films alongside the live action stuff and it’d be an impressive showcase. I think the cw DC shows deserve the recognition too but enough people aren’t fans that I guess they distance those shows from the films totally but I mean, I’d appreciate seeing some of both here and there.

1 Like

You know though Netflix gobbled up a lot of Marvel characters with their defenders purchase too and now with Disney plus coming they’ve lost it. Marvel’s made mistakes too mainly on TV but the films have built up to huge successes I think the stan Lee creator cameos, post credit scenes, regular discussion of prior films and just the comedy mixed with action has been a few things that really led to their success. Thor Ragnarock is a great example, thor one and two were not the same level of success, thor the dark world was the least successful mcu film but even from that they brought in hulk, made light of a huge situation plot like ragnarock and boom success and the character thor became a fan favorite

Well they’ve kept that superman actor separate and apart from dceu films from the supergirl superman first appearance. Cavill was still very much in the Cape when the CW superman first got on TV. Just like cw had deathstroke for awhile and now dcu app has him on #titans, they have these characters openly in more than one place. Titans is supposed to be in the cw crossover crises on infinite earths in a scene.

I would love to see those “what if” storylines like Injustice, Kingdom Come and Flashpoint some which made great animated movies.

The DCEU has some great actors that really embody the characters that it’d be a shame to lose. I hope they find a way to bring the films together and keep the actors who want to stay while those who want to leave (ie. Ben Affleck) can and it makes sense.

1 Like