:superman: 🪦 The Death of Superman Turns 30 🪦 :superman:

On a serious note…

No Death of Superman means no Reign of the Supermen. Means no Steel. Means no Conner.

All stories are relevant. Ignoring the historical impact “Death” had on the character, and DC Comics, would be a mistake.

Knightfall feels like a fully realized “let’s take even more time” story based on the “Death” model. I like Knightfall too. And Knights End. And Quest.

I like Azrael. Did I ever tell you?

Mmmm. 90’s comics are like a toasty fire on this soggy day in this temperate rainforest. Toastee!

6 Likes

I do seem to recall an occasional mention of that by you, from time to time.

You know, this may be brand-new information, but…I like Superman. Like, really like him. Dude’s the best, my fav’rit, in point of fact.

:notes: “Did I ever tell you that you’re my hero?” :notes:

clears throat

There’s a reason I’m not a singer, you see. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

'90s DC toys are like that, too.

Speaking of, an early Christmas gift from me to you:

Fun Fact (and I’m sure you know this): There are two other Azrael figures in the Legends of Batman line. The above however is the best of the lot.

4 Likes

You opened it?!!!

:laughing: :smiley:

5 Likes

Buckle your seatbelt, because I opened my bagged #75, too. :grin:

Just the regular one with the bloody S-shield, though. Not the one with the gray/silver S-shield, as I’ve never owned that.

3 Likes

I think I might have been reading the full arc around the same time as you D4RK5TARZ. :smile:

Oh the Death and Return of Superman… :pensive: :superman_hv_3:

There were 3 comic events I set my eyes on reading when signing up in the days of DCU… :books:

The first was because the CW was doing Crisis on Infinite Earths so I decided to read that before it aired… :smile:

Next, was this. :superman:

Even though I knew the basics that Superman would die and then return… Reading through all the build up to it… Even now I can’t help but still feel how I felt when reading it for the first time. :pleading_face:

Definitely fun seeing all the iterations of Superman that came out of the Death of Superman. :smiley:

And now I will just leave a few panels as I do :rofl: that I saved at one point. :joy: :superman_hv_4:

Panels

Say Vroom Conner got the memo for pizza in this last panel, and fun fact at the planet today the office went to a pizza place for lunch. :pizza: :yum: :superman_hv_4:

6 Likes

Even though I had DCU back then, I went to my trusty trades that I bought about 20 years ago.

6 Likes

Nice! :sunglasses: :+1:

The next time I will read through the whole story might be the omnibus I got for it. :clark_hv_4:

I’ll have to be careful though as I can’t help myself when I read Superman #75 with how it gets me. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

That was a lot more emotional than it should have been. Like I know it is coming. The same scene gets me in both animated movies.

6 Likes

I’ve never read this event before - how accurate is the order of issues on the link you posted? I was actually waiting to read this when I get my softcover issue for being a DCUI Ultra subscriber but this event/anniversary sounds like a good time to read it and it’ll be a nice addition to my #DCemberToRemember.

7 Likes

That is the whole shebang and in order!

7 Likes

:sunglasses:

Awesome - thanks!

5 Likes

I was mostly reading X-men at the time but I picked up the trade paperback when it came out and I loved it. Steel was my favorite. I picked up his solo series for a while, and then that was my only DC experience until I saw Wonder Woman a few years back.

I am really eyeing that omnibus…

6 Likes

:superman:uper, boy! :wink:

SN: What kind of pie was it, and…do you have any leftovers?

I’d gladly pay you tomorrow, for pizza today. :grin:

Oof. Superman #75 still gets me a tad misty-eyed. I read the 30th Anniversary Edition of it that dropped last month, and yep, still as much of a “This can’t happen!” finale as it was 30 years ago.

Okay, maybe not as much, because I was 9 when Superman #75 originally came out, and I’ve re-read the issue on its own and in trades many, many times since then, but still…it hits me in the heart, every time, no question.

What @D4RK5TARZ said, minus one exception…

That issue is excluded because it was written by Gerard Jones. It is available in the Reign of the Supermen trade from 2016 however, which should be landing in our library at some point soon.

5 Likes

Where does that issue fit in the reading order? I’m a sucker for completionism!

4 Likes

Offhand, I don’t remember, but its towards the climax of Reign.

If you’re still on Death, you’ve got a way to go, and in that time, I (or someone else, as anyone is welcome) can find out its precise spot for ya. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It really compliments my book shelf I have it on Steve and I’m sure it would look good on one of yours. :superman_hv_4:

I went with a simple one with sausage. :smile:

Sorry no leftovers Vroom… :pensive:

However! I’ll let you know next time to grab a fresh one and some nice refreshing soder as well! :pizza: :cup_with_straw: :yum:

ajm08g thumbs through the nice Death and Return of Superman omnibus… :books:

Looks like it is in-between Superman: The Man of Steel #26 and Superman #82. :clark_hv_4:

Also @FelixLeiter when you get to the books that have “Bloodlines” it’s kind of an event in the event that some of the other tie-in books have not been digitized yet.

What is available works in context for the Death and Return of Superman event though. :sunglasses: :+1:

Hope this helps. :clark_hv_4:

5 Likes

Nothing wrong with that. Sounds good!

:slightly_frowning_face:

Boss! :superman_hv_4:

Thanks, Skip!

4 Likes

Pizzas and burritos are both very close to being the perfect food.

3 Likes

I could go for a pizza-stuffed burrito at Burrito Bucket (@DC89 Does Burrito Bucket serve such a thing?), along with a soup of some kind, as its raining here and soup makes everything better.

3 Likes