The Death of Superman Is Better Than Batman VS Superman

The “DCEU” are freakin shallow and extremely trite. With the exception of WW.

Compared to the output of a certain director, the DC Animated are all time greats compared to that dreck.

3 Likes

No, they’re not. Well, Justice League is, for obvious reasons, but otherwise, they’re all movies with more to say than “superpowered people punching each other sure looks exciting.”

4 Likes

Yes they are. They all have less to say then JL: Gods and Monsters. JL:Doom, Red Son, Crisis on two Earths, and virtually all the othe DC Animated. No not only does the DCEU have less to say than the animated stuff, it doesn’t even equal the animated stuff of “superheroes punching things” in an exciting way.

3 Likes

What do any of those films have to say? With all reverence toward the late, great Dwayne McDuffie, Crisis and Doom have little going for them other than escapist entertainment value, and they don’t even begin to compare to his work with the Milestone characters. Red Son’s critique of Stalinism is one giant ill-informed straw man argument. (You could have at least gone with New Frontier, which had the advantage of being based on smarter source material.)

1 Like

Yes, Red Son was suppose to have an accurate reflection of Stalin because it had an accurate depiction of our famous President Lex Luthor. :rofl: I guess allegory doesn’t mean much to you.

At least DC Animated understands how to use allegory and other form of storytelling. Shame DCEU can’t say the same.

AND getting back to the actual thread, DoS and Reign are far superior to BvS. That is my view, based on my own comparison, and you aren’t going to change it.

1 Like

I didn’t say Stalin. I said Stalinism, as in the political philosophy of the USSR after Lenin, which Superman embodies even after he melts Stalin with his eye beams.

Oh, and Reign of the Supermen was a really sucky sequel to The Death of Superman, so there. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

We need more opinions

• DC Animated Films
  • DCEU Live Action Films

0 voters

1 Like

More effort seems to go into the animated movies. It is more for the true fans and not for just the casual movie watcher public

5 Likes

I think that the Elseworld stories could actually find broader appeal as they are specifically not trying to tell a modern, mainstream Superman or Batman movie. Gotham by Gaslight or Gods and Monsters (lets just keep the Justice League monicker off it, for obvious reasons) they could increase the budgets a bit and market the snot out of them as “This is not the Batman you know. This is a Batman from a different universe. This is Batman set in the Victorian Age. Can Batman solve The Ripper murders?”

2 Likes

I agree. I really liked DoS (even Lois!) and thought it handled that storyline better than BvS did. However, BvS wasn’t only telling that story, so a large chunk of time was spent devoted elsewhere. While I have issues with BvS, I loved the hero movements, poses, capes, etc. and effects. Also, the first big screen, live action Wonder Woman appearance is worth more than any other any other movie moment in either film for me. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes!! I agree. After watching TDOS, it actually became one of my favorite movies

3 Likes

I would tend to agree with the folks preferring the animated movies if:

• The art was less “flat”. Add just a bit more detail to make it more engrossing/bold. The previews for Man of Tomorrow look like they pick up a bit in that department, which is a good thing.

• They had longer run times. One of the reasons I like watching Death/Reign back to back. Feels like a complete story that is not constrained to fit in a certain time frame.

3 Likes

Even worse, they soften the image to hide how poorly the foreground blends with the background. That’s why the heroes seem to be living in a world of perpetual fog.

Will look for that next time I watch one of those movies. Haven’t noticed the fog bit myself.

Here’s a clip for reference. They must be in the smoking section of town.

2 Likes

I see it now that you pointed it out. I never paid attention to it before, and now I can’t unsee it.

What I do wish seeing when I watch that though is stuff like more wrinkles in costumes or on faces, more details in the armor, some more shading perhaps… I don’t know… everything just looks so, smooth. I still don’t think it looks “bad” per se, but fleshing it out more would go a long way in making it more immersive (for me).

3 Likes

It’s a budget issue. DoS and Reign totaled a $7 million budget that is 12x less than into the spider verse.
So yes, the softer focus is to be expected. It’s a question of cost and time vs cost and time of rendering.
It does make one wonder what if they tripled the budget and did a theatrical release. It still would be 75% cheaper, and could easily return a bigger ROI than other animated movies.

Maybe, DC takes the plunge at some point and we get to see the result. A feature length animated movie (2.5 hours roughly speaking) with 3 times the budget to play with. A $21 million experiment might be worth it.

If it made $105 million at the box office, It would make a 5x ROI, which is a good ROI for any theatrical film.

2 Likes

What you just described is exactly what would give the DC animated movies that extra bit of oomph. I’d totally support it.

2 Likes

I have thought that exact same thing for the longest time. It’s kind of funny when you go to watch either type of movie you know exactly what one will disappoint you and what one will entertain the hell out of you.

For me the animated DC movies, I’ve always found them better. Although, I did love BvS Ultimate Edition. The version that should have been released in theaters. Not a popular opinion but I loved it. I can’t wait to see Snyders Justice Leage now next year.